A&H

Today might be the final game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another option might be to try the AR route - you might enjoy it more than the middle and/or get your appetite back for the middles.

Plenty of decent games available as AR for level 7s - I do mostly lines and thoroughly enjoy it - most of the time!
Yes, I think this is a good way to do it as well actually.

This season was my first season refereeing (Level 4 in Australia, which is... I dunno, probably like way down like 8 or something in the UK). My first weekend (2 games on AR with the same middle referee) I was feeling a bit out of my depth almost immediately when two players went up for a header in the penalty area, when the defender must have copped a sly elbow to his face (I wasn't able to see the elbow, and neither was the referee), and I only flagged when I noticed the injury to the defender who wasn't getting up, and with blood to his nose, and the defending team were upset that it didn't end up being called a foul (ball was already out on the other side of the field by then. Later in the same game, I also had an issue with what we labelled as a "passive offside" call I made.I flagged for an offside in the centre of the field, when an attacker on the far side sprinted through from his own half to be 1-on-2 on goal, but the referee saw my flag and the striker had a go at him. When they chatted at the end of the half, the referee came up and was polite about it, explained it, and we moved on and it was something I looked out for as an AR for the rest of the season (which I didn't have an issue with going forward, I think), and then the player involved was starting the second half on the bench (interchange in this competition), and had really a quite polite word with me, as I think the referee had told him that it was my first game, and the player understood, because normally these games don't have any AR's at all. That experience of them understanding helped me move past my own doubts, even if I know I made a mistake, because I know further along in my career, I won't get that benefit. Easing in as an AR helped me understand some nuances as well, so that the following weekend I felt comfortable leading my first match from the middle (which ended up being followed the next day with two more games in the middle with no AR's)

The Referee Store
I've got an inclination the report will be better than you think. These games lie in wait for all of us... all we can do is limit the damage and get in the car

Standard expected. Had an above standard the week before. Got my 3rd observation in 3 weeks on Sunday. Not a single one last season. Its good to get the 3 I need in early though

I got away from youth football a long time ago for those very reasons. OA is where to go, and when that seems a bit too lonely I just do AR assignments, which to be honest are far becoming my favourites anyway. Also, look to academy or women's football, where that's available - there's often a very different tone to the game and, in my experience at least, most players are there to play and the coaches are there to coach.

Standard expected. Had an above standard the week before. Got my 3rd observation in 3 weeks on Sunday. Not a single one last season. Its good to get the 3 I need in early though
Heading in the right direction then
Ordinarily, it's not ideal to be observed in quick succession as it doesn't allow for time to practice the development points. However, there's no certainty that grass roots football will see out the season, so assessments in the bag could be the best place to be

Ordinarily, it's not ideal to be observed in quick succession as it doesn't allow for time to practice the development points. However, there's no certainty that grass roots football will see out the season, so assessments in the bag could be the best place to be
Good job your oh so lovely County Promotion Co-Ordinator has ensured you've already been observed twice this season then eh Mr Cat .... :rolleyes: 😂

Theres no guarantees at all thats for sure. Good to get them in early. From the correspondence there appears to be alot of folk who aren't so clever at replying to emails from the co-ordinator with their game appointments etc so I think those of us that bothered to reply are being prioritised 🤣

To go back to the original post on this thread. Im over the tough weekend (Sunday i had a morning game that was just full of whinging players, coaches and spectators which added to my dismay from the day before). I did an u14 game as it was on my way home in the afternoon and it was a pleasure to referee which helped my mood somewhat. Womens senior game tomorrow and 3 adult games this weekend. Back into the swing of it.

Good job your oh so lovely County Promotion Co-Ordinator has ensured you've already been observed twice this season then eh Mr Cat .... :rolleyes: 😂
How could one no such information?? Don't let the 'Cat out the bag' if I return any 'Below Standards'!
Theres no guarantees at all thats for sure. Good to get them in early. From the correspondence there appears to be alot of folk who aren't so clever at replying to emails from the co-ordinator with their game appointments etc so I think those of us that bothered to reply are being prioritised 🤣

To go back to the original post on this thread. Im over the tough weekend (Sunday i had a morning game that was just full of whinging players, coaches and spectators which added to my dismay from the day before). I did an u14 game as it was on my way home in the afternoon and it was a pleasure to referee which helped my mood somewhat. Womens senior game tomorrow and 3 adult games this weekend. Back into the swing of it.
I had my Sunday League Junior Cup Final (from last year, played two days back). Observed also
Game went really well, a bit too well with respect to the fact that I was able to be lenient on non-cautions. One of which would've been an SPA in any other game, but the game just didn't expect the sanction(s) on this one occasion. Be interesting to see if Mr O picks me up on that in the report
Anyway, really pleased with the outcome of the game, played in very competitive but exceptionally good spirit

Anyone else have a dip in mood for a day or so, following a game that you really get up for?
I know it's quite normal to feel flat after the excitement has passed, but common for me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back