A&H

Tottenham - Liverpool

Jorik0907

Can't see a reason Salah's goal was chalked off. The handball didn't immediately lead to a goal scoring opportunity and the handball in itself isn't an infraction as Dier elbows it into Firmino's hand. That being said, if you disallow the goal, the proper restart probably is a free kick to Liverpool there, either due to Dier's foul or handball, or am I completely mad?

The Referee Store
Game ends 3-1, result never really in doubt. Atkinson had a solid game although not a particularly challenging one. I still really like his calm demeanor. I still don't agree with the disallowed goal but that's a different story.

It only has to directly lead to a goal scoring opportunity if it is accidental handling. This looked like very clear intentional handling, Firmino's arm moved towards the ball and controlled it.

Personally I think it just looks intentional as his arm was moving towards the ball naturally. I don't think it was handball but if that's why they've disallowed it I'm ok with it.

Personally I think it just looks intentional as his arm was moving towards the ball naturally. I don't think it was handball but if that's why they've disallowed it I'm ok with it.
He is being fouled by Dier, it defo wasn't intentional.
VAR has gone all the way back to an incident in Liverpool's own half. There was plenty of football played before the goal.
Strange decision in my honest opinion and I hate LiVARpool's usual luck ;)

if you disallow the goal, the proper restart probably is a free kick to Liverpool there, either due to Dier's foul or handball, or am I completely mad?
I'd say wrong is a better word to use, not Mad.

Handball for Firmino for me. Also possibly a handball for Dier but that is inconsequential. VAR can only look at the last offence leading to a goal. Any offence before that is not reviewable unless its a reviewable offence on its own merit (red card / penalty / mistaken identity etc ).

Last edited:
Doesn't look intentional to me but only Firmino will know if it's intentional or not. The arm is in a completely natural position. Firmino doesn't create an immediate goalscoring opportunity. No handball imo.

Doesn't really matter if its intentional, lets forget if it even lead to a goal and thats still handball for me.

Easy handball decision IMHO. Complicated because Dier was holding and shirt pulling but enough hand to ball to make it clear.

Problem for me was it was rerefereeing the game.

I thought the overall presentation of the officials was poor - even though Atkinson had a fine game.
- That VAR handball rerefereeing
- Son’s paper thin armpit offside goal after 4 mins
- AR2 had a stinker: flagged an offside wrong, flagged a DFK when advantage was likely and was played, flagged a throw against the ref on 94, and flagged while moving way too much. I haven’t such a messy show for a while unfortunately

...oh and my Spurs mates wanted a VAR check on the Allison edge of the box handling... TBH I thought it looked outside and I am not so sure my friend AR2 was so well placed...

I'd say wrong is a better word to use, not Mad.

Handball for Firmino for me. Also possibly a handball for Dier but that is inconsequential. VAR can only look at the last offence leading to a goal. Any offence before that is not reviewable unless its a reviewable offence on its own merit (red card / penalty / mistaken identity etc ).
VAR isn't limited to the last offence but to the attacking phase, in which both Firmino's handball and Dier's foul/handball take place. We know for sure Firmino's handball would never be given as a PK is an attacker was all over a defender like that, so that's my major gripe.
He doesn't have time to react as Dier does handball the ball into Firmino's chest, then hand, the arm is in a natural position and it doesn't create an immediate GSO so I cannot see a reason why VAR would intervene here.
And if we're going to say Dier's contact is marginal or inconsequential then I'd be inclined to let Firmino's go as well.

Doesn't really matter if its intentional, lets forget if it even lead to a goal and thats still handball for me.
Also if Dier handballs it into Firmino? That's my issue with the VAR interference. Had Firmino miscontrolled the ball and then adjusted his bad touch with his hand, yeah sure. Would have been handball, clearly. However with Dier fouling and actually making arm to ball contact, I'm not sure the correct restart is the Tottenham free kick

Reactions: es1
...oh and my Spurs mates wanted a VAR check on the Allison edge of the box handling... TBH I thought it looked outside and I am not so sure my friend AR2 was so well placed...
If it was outside I'm sure a replay would have been shown by BT. The commentators suggested afterwards it was just inside so presumably they'd seen the replay on their screens.

If it could have created a DOGSO situation then I think it should have been checked, is that right?
My understanding is only if it directly leads to a goal or a penalty at the other end.

Of course a field player's edge of the (own) box handling is always checked because it is a possible penalty. This is what may have confused your mate.

Back