A&H

Training for Level 5

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
I'm hoping (I've submitted all the games required now, just up to the panel now) to be level 5 for next season, which potentially means being in the middle in some pretty decent games, and I need to improve my fitness. I'm only 28, so I'm still young enough to get by, but I struggle to find the get-up-and-go for the long runs required for the fitness I'll need over a ninety-minute stretch.
I'm hardly a slouch - between two matches a week, I spend about four to six hours a week training kendo, which is a high-intensity workout, but it's not quite the same as the long, boring runs. I'm usually able to keep making sprints in my saturday games up to the last few minutes of each half, so it's not as if I'm miles off, and I'm slowly doing more before bed each evening. Particularly for those who find running as dull as I do, what have you found to keep you in match trim?

The Referee Store
I'm hoping (I've submitted all the games required now, just up to the panel now) to be level 5 for next season, which potentially means being in the middle in some pretty decent games, and I need to improve my fitness. I'm only 28, so I'm still young enough to get by, but I struggle to find the get-up-and-go for the long runs required for the fitness I'll need over a ninety-minute stretch.
I'm hardly a slouch - between two matches a week, I spend about four to six hours a week training kendo, which is a high-intensity workout, but it's not quite the same as the long, boring runs. I'm usually able to keep making sprints in my saturday games up to the last few minutes of each half, so it's not as if I'm miles off, and I'm slowly doing more before bed each evening. Particularly for those who find running as dull as I do, what have you found to keep you in match trim?
When I run, I listen to music. But I’ve always liked running so it’s not really been an issue for me.

A lot of the lads who I work with are absolute running monsters on fitness tests and they don't run in their spare time. Rowers, bikes, swimming, crossfit. Honestly for me, the refereeing is a lot (maybe too much hahaa) of running already, so a lower impact cardio is much preferred by myself. Just need to be aiming for the endurance.

You don't necessarily need to do a lot of training running to be able to referee, it all comes down to your body. When I was L3 I was having real problems with my knees, I could get through games just about OK but doing lots of running as training would have finished me off. So I only did low impact for training, like cross trainer and static bike. I was still more than fit enough, and always aced the fitness test when it came to it, but I know that extra strain on my knees would have finished me.

In terms of keeping yourself entertained during a run, or any kind of exercise, then again that comes down to what interests you. I used to listen to music, but more recently I listen to podcasts, or even just the live Talksport broadcast. The whole purpose of listening to anything is to stop you getting bored, so it has to be something that interests you.

You don't necessarily need to do a lot of training running to be able to referee, it all comes down to your body. When I was L3 I was having real problems with my knees, I could get through games just about OK but doing lots of running as training would have finished me off. So I only did low impact for training, like cross trainer and static bike. I was still more than fit enough, and always aced the fitness test when it came to it, but I know that extra strain on my knees would have finished me.

In terms of keeping yourself entertained during a run, or any kind of exercise, then again that comes down to what interests you. I used to listen to music, but more recently I listen to podcasts, or even just the live Talksport broadcast. The whole purpose of listening to anything is to stop you getting bored, so it has to be something that interests you.
I have started listening to audiobooks when running.

Anything in particular?

Or any recommendations?
At the moment I am listening to the Harry Potter series read by Stephen Fry. I was (am) a bit of a potterhead.

I also like John Grisham which, if you don't know, are thrillers based around US lawyers. Recommend a time to kill, pelican brief, the street lawyer to get you started.

I'm planning to listen to the game of thrones series once I am done with Harry Potter.

At the moment I am listening to the Harry Potter series read by Stephen Fry. I was (am) a bit of a potterhead.

I also like John Grisham which, if you don't know, are thrillers based around US lawyers. Recommend a time to kill, pelican brief, the street lawyer to get you started.

I'm planning to listen to the game of thrones series once I am done with Harry Potter.
That all sounds a bit deep, think it would slow me down or drive me to quitting.

Mine are far more comedy based, like Danny Wallace's Important Broadcast or Ed Gamble & Matthew Crosby.

I hate just running and the audio books make it palatable. I don't know about the UK, but in the US our public libraries have extensive audio book collections, so its even free.
Depends on council provided service but yes, I can borrow audiobooks via the library where I live. Might not be the same everywhere.

I've recently signed up to Audible and for £7.99 I get a new pay for audiobook a month and then access to podcasts and free selected audio books too.

Ps I love running. My other advice would be to join a club. I've been a member of a trail running group for about 18 months now and now find myself signing up to races to "compete" for the club. Running with a group of other people helps the run but to also push yourself to levels other, better, runners in the group.

That all sounds a bit deep, think it would slow me down or drive me to quitting.

Mine are far more comedy based, like Danny Wallace's Important Broadcast or Ed Gamble & Matthew Crosby.
Funny enough I am training using the Maffetone method which is running mostly at easy pace, roughy between 50-65% max heart rate so it's actually really helpful for what I want to achieve at the min. That said I also ran a PB 5k and 10k in the same run last week to Harry potter and goblet of fire so it obvs doesn't slow me down that much 🤣

I can't find the link for the audio file at the moment, but get down the track one day and have a go at the L4 fitness test (75m run in 17s x 40, 25m walk in 22s x 40).

I’d suggest listening to the audiobook of ‘Frankenstein by Mary Shelley’ and keep running and increase your fitness level!

Back