A&H

Junior/Youth U15 - Sent off Manager

ELP

Everyone's Favourite Member
A rather peculiar situation presented itself to me yesterday during my U15 league match.

Red (home) v Green (away)... Green were 1-0 up inside 3 minutes and dominated the match from there on in. About 20 minutes in I had a word with the coach of green... he was winding up the red left winger with snidy remarks, constantly "ah nice touch mate" or "great shot mate" in the most sarcastic sense possible. Told him to keep his mouth shut and act like the role model he should be. Nothing more from him for the rest of the match.

However, green manager was a different story. (yep, they had a manager & a coach...)

He was questioning every single decision. I put up with it until half-time, his team were 2-1 up and he'd been questioning everything, down to throw-ins and goal kicks, he just would not shut up. Fast forward to around 15 mins into second half, his team are 3-1 up and very comfortably in control of game. A late challenge from a red player, purely out of frustration, goes in from behind on one of his players. I blew and cautioned the red player for a reckless tackle and the green manager was f'ing and blinding about how it was the most blatant red he'd ever seen. I tell him to shut up, get on with the game. His team smash the free kick up and CAR flag goes up for offside, I hear green manager say "f'ing hell, this is ridiculous", literally 30 seconds after I warned him.

So walk over, tell him I'm dismissing him and a report will be going to CFA. He takes a few moments to tell me about how "ridiculous", "blind" and "unfit to be a referee" I am, then finally complies with my request. I sent him over to the parents side and said if I heard him coaching the match would be abandoned unless he removed himself from the pitch area.

Meanwhile greens coach was silent as a mouse, not a squeak for the rest of the game - think he realized he couldn't piss around with me.

No apology from manager come the end of the match, but I can live with that. Evidently, he probably isn't too happy at the thought of a possible fine coming his way. Silly man :)

The Referee Store
Unfortunately, we all come across these type of people.

Just a suggestion for the future, maybe you could have spoken to the manager earlier. By picking up on his behaviour earlier on, it may not have escalated to a point where you had to send him off; admittedly though, it doesn't sound like he was the type of person to see reason.

Other than that, sounds like you did well. Get the report in and hopefully he'll be getting a nice little surprise through the post :D

Not getting an apology doesn't bother me either, rather than being genuine it's usually an attempt to persuade you not to send a report in.

Great post, Evan. Thanks for sharing.

Based on what you've written, I'd agree with Matthew that earlier intervention on your part could have improved upon the final outcome....or brought it to a head earlier.

My thoughts. First time you become aware that manager is questioning your decisions, perhaps some good eye contact, perhaps a finger to the lips. Second time, stop the game, have a quiet word with him, remind him of the Respect code and not questioning your decisions, his role as a role model etc, etc. Tell him that any further comments and you'll be asking him to leave the touchline.

if he does it again, stop the game and ask him to leave the playing area. In this case, you knew that there was another team official so no issues about asking him to remove himself. If there isn't another obvious team official, you may need to act differently but leaving the manager pitch-side shouldn't be an option...and that includes 'sending him over to the parent's side'

By the way, when you say that you told the coach to 'keep his mouth shut', i'm assuming that that's not exactly what you said to him.

The only place that i would disagree with Matthew is with regards to any post-match apology. Yes, it might be Pellegrini-like in it's attempt to avoid or minimise any further punishment....but that's not a crime in itself. Plenty of people over-react in certain situations and an apology, whatever it's motives, at least shows some awareness on the part of the individual concerned about the unacceptable nature of their earlier behaviour. Accept it in good grace and still send in your report.... a report which could say, 'after the game, Manager 'x' apologised for his earlier behaviour' but which should never say, 'after the game, Manager 'x' apologised for his earlier behaviour, tho' he was probably just trying to persuade me not to send a report in'

Just a suggestion for the future, maybe you could have spoken to the manager earlier. By picking up on his behaviour earlier on, it may not have escalated to a point where you had to send him off; admittedly though, it doesn't sound like he was the type of person to see reason.

I had words with the bench earlier in the match after the coach was winding up the players. There was also a "lets let the kids play" shout just before the start of the second half, I think I gave him ample opportunity.

By the way, when you say that you told the coach to 'keep his mouth shut', i'm assuming that that's not exactly what you said to him.

Words to similar effect. :)

The only place that i would disagree with Matthew is with regards to any post-match apology. Yes, it might be Pellegrini-like in it's attempt to avoid or minimise any further punishment....but that's not a crime in itself. Plenty of people over-react in certain situations and an apology, whatever it's motives, at least shows some awareness on the part of the individual concerned about the unacceptable nature of their earlier behaviour. Accept it in good grace and still send in your report.... a report which could say, 'after the game, Manager 'x' apologised for his earlier behaviour' but which should never say, 'after the game, Manager 'x' apologised for his earlier behaviour, tho' he was probably just trying to persuade me not to send a report in'

No apology come end of the match anyways. I finished the report off with something like "the manager complied with my request to move to the other side of the pitch and there were no further issues throughout the match".

I had to send a manager back to the changing area after an outburst today. I'm a new ref, never had to deal with that misconduct.

I've reported the incident to the league, who have acknowledged it. Where do I stand with regards to reporting it to county? Am I obliged to, or is this an internal league matter? And if I do have to report it, which form would it be?

I had to send a manager back to the changing area after an outburst today. I'm a new ref, never had to deal with that misconduct.

I've reported the incident to the league, who have acknowledged it. Where do I stand with regards to reporting it to county? Am I obliged to, or is this an internal league matter? And if I do have to report it, which form would it be?

You should report to the County. You don't have to report to league although it's an option if you want to keep them updated.

Use the Standard Misconduct Report form to report this.

Misconduct report to county and, if your league expect match reports, just a note to tell them that you are sending a misconduct report to county re manager 'x' - no other details

that manager 'x' always seems to be in trouble :0

Back