A&H

Uncontested drop ball

Xavier

Hi,
I was refereeing a 5 a side tournament today. I got hit by the ball which lead to the team loosing possession. I gave a uncontested drop ball I threw the ball to the player and one attacker stole the ball of him and scored. The attacker was the required distance away. I gave the goal but I'm thinking it was wrong what was the correct decision

The Referee Store
Hi,
I was refereeing a 5 a side tournament today. I got hit by the ball which lead to the team loosing possession. I gave a uncontested drop ball I threw the ball to the player and one attacker stole the ball of him and scored. The attacker was the required distance away. I gave the goal but I'm thinking it was wrong what was the correct decision
Assuming competition rules don't say otherwise (and they shouldn't) a dropped ball is correct - with the learning point being "dropped", not "thrown"
With the opponents the required distance away when the restart occurs, it is up to the player to get on with the game.
Assuming the player played the ball before losing it, the goal decision is correct.

Hi,
Obviously the rules of 5 a side are often modified, well obviously they are as the number of players is obviously modified, so this may not be quite right.
But for a game played under non modified rules after a dropped ball restart 2 players need to play the ball before a goal can be scored.

Obviously the rules of 5 a side are often modified, well obviously they are as the number of players is obviously modified, so this may not be quite right.
But for a game played under non modified rules after a dropped ball restart 2 players need to play the ball before a goal can be scored.
Good point James. What's the restart then if a goal is being scored and the attacker nicked the ball before the player was the ball dropped for didn't touch it? Goal kick I assume...
Or ball being dropped again?

Good point James. What's the restart then if a goal is being scored and the attacker nicked the ball before the player was the ball dropped for didn't touch it? Goal kick I assume...
Or ball being dropped again?
As James and I have ponted out, a second player needs to touch the ball for the goal to stand. If the opponent nipped in and played the ball before the one you dropped it to, then played it into the goal, it would be a goal kick.
Happened recently in a Premier League match (with an incorrect restart of a dropped ball)

Assuming competition rules don't say otherwise (and they shouldn't) a dropped ball is correct - with the learning point being "dropped", not "thrown"
With the opponents the required distance away when the restart occurs, it is up to the player to get on with the game.
Assuming the player played the ball before losing it, the goal decision is correct.
That's the think after 2 hours of refereeing I was unsure whether he had touched it or not

As James and I have ponted out, a second player needs to touch the ball for the goal to stand. If the opponent nipped in and played the ball before the one you dropped it to, then played it into the goal, it would be a goal kick.
Happened recently in a Premier League match (with an incorrect restart of a dropped ball)
I think I might have made a mistake then🤦

Back