A&H

Undershirt rules at Sunday League level?

I’d echo everyone elses points. I would only ask for them to be removed if it were to cause a clash.

As a player though, I’m a weird breed, I can’t wear a base layer that doesn’t match my shirt.

also if you are going to link your mates to decathlon, sportsdirect do baselayers 2 for 20. good if a couple of lads could go halfs.

The Referee Store
I’d echo everyone elses points. I would only ask for them to be removed if it were to cause a clash.

As a player though, I’m a weird breed, I can’t wear a base layer that doesn’t match my shirt.

also if you are going to link your mates to decathlon, sportsdirect do baselayers 2 for 20. good if a couple of lads could go halfs.
Is that the Sondico ones? They didn't look like quite the right shade of yellow. If you're going to do it, do it right, right? :D

I’m the same actually when I’m refereeing. I’m usually fine in short sleeves, however sometimes it’s cold enough to warrant a base layer and it doesn’t feel right for me with different colours. (Part of it I think is that the LotG say players should have the same colours, so I feel referees should too. Although with the one player I’ve come across this with, it was u13 on a freezing morning so I let him off)
Also agree on sports direct/decathlon - that’s where I’ve always bought them.

As a referee observer, at grass roots I'd be looking to see how the referee tried to deal with it rather than marking him down for letting players wear wrong coloured undershorts. i.e. did he not even notice, or did he realise there was a problem and just le the game be played once he knew there was no alternative.

That said, at some point you will get a referee who insists they come off, whether they are being observed or not. And I'd have to wish you the very best of luck in explaining your refusal to play to the league being down to the players being cold, when the reason they were cold is that the referee ordered them to remove kit that was clearly contrary to the laws of the game.

I think most things have been covered, however if you tell your players to always assume the referee is going to be strict with under shirts, shorts and sock tape, that is they wear the correct colours then you will avoid a lot of problems.

This all depends on the level of players and the conditions. If it's a high-level, older-players club game, I'm going to be much more strict. If it's a U13 game on a 35 degree (Farenheit, so basically 0 Celsius) game, I'll be a lot more lenient.

This also goes for referees. A few times in the early spring of 2019, we were playing games in really cold weather. My ARs had black jackets or sweatshirts, and the teams were in royal blue and red. I allowed my ARs to wear their jackets/sweatshirts, and I wore black in the middle. Our state soccer executive director is a former national referee, and he completely backed the decision.

Back