A&H

United Derby goal - interfering or not?

The Referee Store
Nope, not for me.

Whilst in an offside position the player does not challenge an opponent nor impact on the ability of opponent to play the ball.

"making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball"

I don't think so either. And my ABU radar says: rejoice! What a result!

Any debate surrounding the red card? I can see why the ref gave it but I'm still not 100% on DOGSO. Attacker looked off balance when playing the ball, almost falling backwards when the keeper handles it with another 2 defenders running alongside.

Any debate surrounding the red card? I can see why the ref gave it but I'm still not 100% on DOGSO. Attacker looked off balance when playing the ball, almost falling backwards when the keeper handles it with another 2 defenders running alongside.

My initial reaction was yellow. Attacked has flicked ball on, two defenders who could potentially cover, ball going sideways away from goal. Certainly think there’s a strong case for it

when in the clip is it?

The attacker being off balance is crucial here - because it means that at the time of the foul his forward momentum is quite slow and the defender, while behind him, is moving much, much faster. So, if the attacker regained the ball, he'd be immediately challenged by 2 defenders.

So there's no DOGSO on the attacker regaining possession - only DOGSO possibility is for the ball going in the goal - but it was tapped to the side of the goal.

Easier to spot the speed difference with a camera, but this was the wrong decision for me.

Back