A&H

Unusual threat

SM

The avuncular one
Was told an unusual scenario,which I'll post for thoughts.

Grass roots match, one of the home team players is a loud mouth and complains about every decision that goes against his team. After a warning to cool it, he clatters into the back of an opponent in a reckless fashion. You call him over to caution

As this is in process you ask his name and he says to you "i'm Fred blogs and I'm a police officer, and you better watch yourself ref" in a manner you perceive as threatening.

Now what do you do?

The Referee Store
As above. Complain after game to police about abuse of power and threats relating to it. Bin the b****d and remind him that today, you're the enforcer!

I would say that a RC is probably the only option, I certainly wouldn't be too impressed if I was the ref.

Did this actually happen, or is it a hypothetical situation?

It was posed to me by a friend. They like to try and think of really random scenarios

As others have said. Ask for his badge number, dismiss him and contact the relevant local complaints department.

As an aside, in my personal experience, games involving police teams are usually very "interesting" and provide a useful challenge to any referee wishing to develop his or her matchday skills

Caution for the reckless tackle and warn re future dissent and that he is one card away from walking.

I highly doubt he is a cop and I wouldn't find the comment OFFINABUS. I would find it funny, no actual cop would say that or put themselves in that position.

Caution for the reckless tackle and warn re future dissent and that he is one card away from walking.

I highly doubt he is a cop and I wouldn't find the comment OFFINABUS. I would find it funny, no actual cop would say that or put themselves in that position.
That comment is probably enough to get anyone saying something similar to a police officer charged with threatening behaviour. Some police do abuse their powers.

NEVER a RC. how on earth can that comment be deemed as threatening or abusive?

Def YC. Earn re future conduct but I would be tempted to ask for his badge number and report to relevant force.

Also report to the league on match card.

Def YC. Earn re future conduct but I would be tempted to ask for his badge number and report to relevant force.

And the league will ask why you are reporting misconduct to them and not the County FA's disciplinary department

It is a threat!

It is a threat on the "you better watch yourself, ref" part. Send him and ask for his badge number.

On a slightly different note i assisted a couple of years ago for a ref who was also a police officer and i kid you not, when dealing with a player who was getting a bit lippy he flashed his warrant card and told the player to watch his step, i didnt see this but its all the players were talking about for the rest of the game so i asked him about it afterwards and his reply was....too right i did i always have it in my pocket to keep the players in check. :eek::eek:

On a slightly different note i assisted a couple of years ago for a ref who was also a police officer and i kid you not, when dealing with a player who was getting a bit lippy he flashed his warrant card and told the player to watch his step, i didnt see this but its all the players were talking about for the rest of the game so i asked him about it afterwards and his reply was....too right i did i always have it in my pocket to keep the players in check. :eek::eek:
That's an interesting idea... I've always wanted be a police officer, could try that once in a while!

Back