A&H

VAR - Everton vs Spurs Son “penalty”

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they’re now saying it was a red for endangering the safety of a player. Well endangering is not based on the outcome, so now every challenge like that needs to be a red surely? I’m afraid Atkinson has reacted to the severity of the injury, which is horrific and they’re doubling down rather than admitting a mistake.

The Referee Store
Full disclosure ... Tottenham fan.

I sincerely hope (but massively doubt) that will be the final nail in the VAR coffin. That game was a total and utter shambles and made one of the better English referees look way less good than he actually is.

Son penalty - could have gone either way. VAR did not help clarify

Alli handball. Everyone (myself included) expecting penalty. Not given. Complete waste of 2 mins of everyone's lives. Game changing

Son red card. Laughable. How on earth has VAR not told Atkinson that wasn't even close to a Red card? Game changing

It's amazing. As a fan and a referee I care way less about the match outcome and far more about the intolerable damage that's being done to a sport I love :mute:

I was at Bramall Lane yesterday and at least 3 VAR decisions went our way, we’ve gone from whose the best football team to whose the luckiest at the VAR roulette table. Did he endanger his safety, well clearly he did!

I was at Bramall Lane yesterday and at least 3 VAR decisions went our way, we’ve gone from whose the best football team to whose the luckiest at the VAR roulette table. Did he endanger his safety, well clearly he did!

But is it based on the outcome? Does he really endanger the safety? Or is it because he sees the injury and changes his mind?

Has anyone seen aurier going into him?
Just seen it again and it looks like aurier goes into him on the follow through?

Son's was a dive for me, his feet splayed out in a clear attempt to deceive the referee. His challenge should have been yellow though, nothing more than reckless and VAR should have intervened.

Son's was a dive for me, his feet splayed out in a clear attempt to deceive the referee. His challenge should have been yellow though, nothing more than reckless and VAR should have intervened.

I agree and I think what caused Gomes injury was aurier going in on the follow through
Not son

We should remember with VAR that it can only get involved if a penalty, red card decision or goal has been given/not given incorrectly or in cases of mistaken identity.

Thus, for instance, VAR could not recommend yellow cards for simulation (even if it believed it to be the case) for any of the penalty appeals today.

I thought the Alli one was a handball, even based on the PL's standards, and was surprised it wasn't given.

I thought the Son challenge for the Gomes injury was only a yellow card challenge. A difficult situation of course and I wonder if VAR stayed out of it because of the circumstances - I would normally have expected them to intervene and think there's every chance Spurs will successfully appeal.

The Dele HB was the worst. It's like they spent 5 minutes looking for a foul by Mina to not give the pen. If it's not a pen it has to be a DFK the other way.
VAR can't inform the referee of an offence by the attacking to give the DFK out... they could have if the referee had called the penalty there.

Looking at the video, the clips REALLY focus on the handball aspect (which, yes, this is definitely, and no question one), but there's very little focus on the elbow that comes right before to the side of Alle's head until very late in the VAR game.

This is a review that should've taken 10-15s and, because no penalty called by the referee, simply returned "check complete" at that time.

Full video of the incident: https://streamable.com/tq862

Red card protects Son as much as anything else. Good luck selling a caution at lower levels and not seeing the tackler get absolutely battered by the opposition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back