A&H

Vardy red

The Referee Store
This look very harsh at first glance. It looks like going hard at the ball, getting to it first and then a clash of legs. Replays show however studs into the back of the knee after the ball is gone. Incidental? I highly doubt it at this level and certainly something Vardy could have avoided.

1534730574216.png

I think the pundits on the coverage I watched, nailed it: player not in control of his momentum, studs up into the knee, excessive force and endangering an opponent = red card.

Seen many of these tackles on Sunday league and they hardly never see red in my area... I get the modern safety aspect but a parks player would be mortified to get marched for this... sorry, just saying how it is....

Seen many of these tackles on Sunday league and they hardly never see red in my area... I get the modern safety aspect but a parks player would be mortified to get marched for this... sorry, just saying how it is....

It's a red card in any game I referee. Assuming of course that I see it, but that was a coward's tackle and could easily have caused serious injury.

I don't mean this as a criticism, but you are very open that you are very willing to red card for words used towards you. That's fine, but that Vardy challenge is far worse that any words that can be thrown at a referee or player, and I find it hard to comprehend that you wouldn't red card if you saw that clearly on a parks game.

I dont disagree that its a red card in todays game at some / most higher levels, but I think there is an expectation that this is still a good tackle at some levels too... Just my personal opinion!!

Not sure about the other comment as thats totally irrelevant to this!!!

I think it’s the speed and how high his foot was which sets this out from most 50/50 challenges where the ball is won fairly

I dont disagree that its a red card in todays game at some / most higher levels, but I think there is an expectation that this is still a good tackle at some levels too... Just my personal opinion!!

Not sure about the other comment as thats totally irrelevant to this!!!

My point was that I see all the times when I'm observing referees who are very quick to caution for dissent or send off for OFFINABUS, but they are far more reluctant to send off for SFP. Usually 7-6 candidates, but I even saw one candidate who missed a brutal leg breaking challenge and then cautioned the player for dissent as he laid on the ground screaming (and was later taken away by ambulance with a broken leg).

It isn't just a red card at the higher levels, it is a red card at any level. That challenge was a shocker whether it was at Old Trafford or Hackney Marshes.

Reactions: JH
Look, i've agreed its a red, however, as I said, maybe we move in different circles because that certainly wouldn't be deemed an automatic red in the Imperial Sunday just a few years back. Saturday League, maybe so because there was a bit more care taken but Sundays was a challenge to finish up cardless!!! It was a pitched battle at times....

Look, i've agreed its a red, however, as I said, maybe we move in different circles because that certainly wouldn't be deemed an automatic red in the Imperial Sunday just a few years back. Saturday League, maybe so because there was a bit more care taken but Sundays was a challenge to finish up cardless!!! It was a pitched battle at times....

Not sure we do move in different circles, these days I referee on Sunday mornings at Hackney Marshes so that is as grass roots as grass roots comes. It's a red card, might not have been 5 years ago, but certainly is now.

My point was that I see all the times when I'm observing referees who are very quick to caution for dissent or send off for OFFINABUS, but they are far more reluctant to send off for SFP. Usually 7-6 candidates, but I even saw one candidate who missed a brutal leg breaking challenge and then cautioned the player for dissent as he laid on the ground screaming (and was later taken away by ambulance with a broken leg).

It isn't just a red card at the higher levels, it is a red card at any level. That challenge was a shocker whether it was at Old Trafford or Hackney Marshes.

He cautioned the guy with the broken leg?

Please tell me you read him the riot act? :wall:

So we agree that times have moved on and in recent memory that certainly wasn't a red!!! My point being that they don't seem to get memos at all levels on whats acceptable and whats not as most of them have done the same thing for years and just because something gets put in an IFAB circular or a new draft of some law etc behaviour is a generational thing!!

I sent off for a horror challenge a few years back to be surrounded by 11 home players begging for clemency, I certainly didnt shy away from the difficult decisions, dissent was a minor irritance really!!!

It could also do with the fact that a tackle by a professional footballer generally occurs at a higher speed and force than a vast majority of grass roots tackles. That means when the tackles go wrong in the pro game, they're much more likely to be SFP.

This always throws me, why do referees adapt different tolerance levels to certain challenges from Saturday to Sunday football? OK, the standard is usually worse on a Sunday but a red card is a red card

Hopefully as a 7-6 cansidate, i'd have no hesitation in showing red for this. Although Vardy was probably focused on winning the ball, the force involved was clearly excessive. I accept now that i was wrong about Hayden, but Vardy could have broken a leg and i therefore think it was easier to call

Back