A&H

Very good "wait and see" call from MLS

RefIADad

RefChat Addict
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...fender-tim-parker-sent-against-atlanta-united

Excellent officiating by Robert Sibiga, who I think is one of MLS's better referees. He waited to see what the result of the (off-balance) shot by Josef Martinez would be before calling the DOGSO foul on Tim Parker of the New York Red Bulls outside of the penalty area. Had the shot gone in the goal, it would have been a caution and a goal.

Great case study for how we can "wait and see" to see if an advantage near goal materializes.

The Referee Store
I’m caught in 2 minds with this. 2 bite of the cherry, or good advantage? Both decisions which can be sold but I think he went for the right option. My only issue is the whistle delay, there was at least 4 seconds between the keeper making the save and the whistle being blown. Why the wait?

There has definitely been an evolution over the years in the "two bite" thought process. Way back when I started, the referee was expected to immediately decide if there was an advantage--and if he was wrong, oh well. That meant that refs were sometimes reluctant to use advantage when they couldn't really tell what might happen. I think the evolution was then the referees started being slow to make the call, and that subsequently got enshrined as the ability to go back within a few seconds if the advantage did not ensue. (Of course, this has raised different issues as to whether the advantage did not ensue (which I think really means "the better opportunity was not actually there") or was wasted (the opportunity better than the FK was there, but the player was unable to score).

(I think the perceived delay must be syncing--he's there pointing to the spot outside the PA right away.)

In this case, Martinez was very much off balance when he shot. There was no advantage at all in my mind because Martinez had a weak, off balance shot because of the foul.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...fender-tim-parker-sent-against-atlanta-united

Excellent officiating by Robert Sibiga, who I think is one of MLS's better referees. He waited to see what the result of the (off-balance) shot by Josef Martinez would be before calling the DOGSO foul on Tim Parker of the New York Red Bulls outside of the penalty area. Had the shot gone in the goal, it would have been a caution and a goal.

Great case study for how we can "wait and see" to see if an advantage near goal materializes.
Totally agree. Great officiating and nice to see some educated commentary for a change (though he did seem to be about to query the red card :) )

In normal play, the attacker was only afforded a nibble at the cherry as he never regained any sort of balance after the foul
Tough call, good call

Totally agree. Great officiating and nice to see some educated commentary for a change (though he did seem to be about to query the red card :) )

A little later, Stu Holden (the analyst) did start to question why Sibiga went red. He talked about how it wasn’t a really hard or overly aggressive foul.

I do like these two (John Strong is the play by play announcer). They have been pretty supportive of officials on their calls. They don’t get things right all the time, but they do better than most on matters related to officiating. In terms of American announcers for soccer, these two do a very good job for the most part.

I would really like to know what the referee would have done if the attacker had the shot in full control and ballance. I have a feeling he would have given the same decision but we would never know.

The defender took massive risk and it cost him. His team mates should be given him pelters rather then blaming the ref.

Back