A&H

Junior/Youth Very strange one--almost a horror show

SLI39

Sometimes a random incident from the heavens is sent to try you, and that certainly happened yesterday. Relatively straightforward game: 4-2 to the home side with around 5-10 minutes of the second half to play; home striker bears down on goal and appears to hit the post; ball is cleared and I turn to follow its trajectory. I remember thinking it sounded slightly strange, but I had no reason to doubt what I'd seen. Moments later, I hear bewildered players/coaches on that side telling me, 'it's a goal, ref.'
I look over and the away CAR is beckoning me. So approximately 30 seconds after this incident, I stop play as the ball goes out on the other side, and jog over to consult the linesman.
He says (with admirable honesty, I might add) that the ball hit a lower stanchion barely half a foot inside the post, and therefore crossed the line before rebounding out. I am astonished/embarrassed, but award the goal for the sake of match control. The consensus around this sequence of events seems to be unanimous, but from my angle it hit the post. During the last five minutes, the above playing on my mind, I am overcome by a flummoxed daze, and I will admit I gave a couple of strange decisions.
At the end (5-2 FT), I apologise for confusion. Both managers are happy, and in the ensuing conversation it transpires that, such is the way the goals are designed, something similar occurred earlier in the season.

I still have doubts about how I handled the incident in terms of stopping play (i.e. when is it no longer possible to go back?) and acquiescing to a CAR (albeit against his own team) on a goal-line decision, which must have been very tight. Finally, should I/the club recommend that these goal frames be examined with future referees in mind?

Thanks in advance to all

The Referee Store
The same happened in a youth champions league game a few weeks back during a penalty shoot out. I think Chelsea were playing a Portuguese team. Anyone got a link to the video?

I think a CAR giving a decision against his own team demonstrates a very honest - and switched on - CAR: why wouldn't you give such a decision? In terms of what you describe above, I presume that so long as you had no other restarts (ball out of play, free kick etc), then you're within the law to go back and award the goal.

I think a CAR giving a decision against his own team demonstrates a very honest - and switched on - CAR: why wouldn't you give such a decision? In terms of what you describe above, I presume that so long as you had no other restarts (ball out of play, free kick etc), then you're within the law to go back and award the goal.

Thanks, I agree; and I made a point of thanking him for his integrity afterwards, especially as it was an unusual situation to say the least. Even if I might have responded more quickly, he spared me any number of problems. My concern was that CARs are generally never supposed to interfere with goal-line decisions, although in my defence this was a matter of functionality rather than his interpretation against mine. Moreover, there was the possibility, albeit slight, that he could have been unduly pressured by home supporters/officials in his vicinity.
On the other point, if I'm honest, I think the ball did go out of play for a throw, but play was never restarted, which I understand as being the operative condition in these circumstances.

Back