A&H

Very wet fixture yesterday and lots of dissent

p4yno

Level 5 Referee
Had a game yesterday, awful, AWFUL weather. It literally hammered it down hard for 90 minutes, how on earth the surface held up I do not know. I had in back of mind, this could be abandoned if the pitch holds the water.

It was one of those games where one side were hell bent on arguing on EVERY decision. I hate sides like this with a passion. It doesnt matter if its a throw in on halfway line, they will complain. They will say every throw in a foul throw. They went 4-0 down VERY quickly.

I ended up cautioning 3 home players for dissent.

The first one, believing he was been clever, suggested I wear an away shirt after a decision, I told him be careful, but he was the sort of player that wanted the last word... he didn't, I did, cautioned.

The second one, after a decision, kept saying "thats f'ing sh*t, thats f'ing sh*t" over and over, I gave him the opportunity to be quiet, he didnt, so cautioned. If he said "you're f'ing sh*t" then he would have been off, however it was frustration / dissent.

The third, and I am kicking myself as I should have binned him in hindsight, however they only had 11 players, the conditions were awful, and in stoppage time seconds from the end, his side went 7-6 down, he was complaining about an offside (no assistant at all as they couldnt provide one), very difficult for me to call unless very clear and I explained prior to KO I WILL NOT take any dissent for offside decisions when your side cannot provide an assistant. Both agreed. Anyway, in response to the away sides goal in added time, a home defender is f'ing and blinding saying all sorts suggesting it was offside, I cannot even remember what he said, but it was abuse, if I binned him god knows what I would put in the report as I cannot remember, but he crossed the mark, but went for a caution for dissent, should have been red, the caution shut him up quick.

Only seconds later the home side made it 7-7!! (Yes 7-7).

In fairness, both cautions 2 and 3 came up and apologised to me after saying they deserved it, the third saying it was just in the heat of the moment.

Had a chat with a couple of away players (shared my changing room) who commented up how much abuse the home side was giving me, the three key moments I dealt with it, the rest was literally moaning, wouldnt say abuse.

I HATE RAIN!

The Referee Store
90 minutes of abuse in the pouring rain. It's days like that you need reminding why you decided to take up the whistle innit!

@DaveMac oh so true! It rained HARD all game, even to take names down for cautions it was very hard as paper and water do not mix well!!

I am thinking, get as many games in now before the weather really takes hold!!

I had u13 yesterday on a notoriously bad pitch. 70 minute game and rained hard for about 60 minutes of it. There was a few times I nearly stopped it mainly because the rain was coming at such an angle when running towards one of the goals you couldn't see that well. But luckily that only last a few minutes. By the end the centre circle was pretty bad, but with only a few minutes to play it seemed pointless stopping. But once that rain is coming down it really does suck the fun out of the day.

I thought I was fortunate that my game was on and it was a div 3 first v second both 100% going into the game. But after a decent first hour all hell broke loose and I ended up with 6 cautions and 2 reds, with a number of the yellows particularly stupid!

This sounds like one of my games this weekend p4yno, except it was both teams who were keen to provide money in fines to the local CFA.

Back