A&H

Ward-Prowse reaction to Zaha Red Card

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
I saw a petty yet interesting reply on twitter to the news of Zaha being charged with Improper conduct after last night’s game. They were questioning whether Ward-Prowse should be liable to face retrospective action, as well as Zaha, for his reaction to in Smiling, Laughing and Celebrating at the dismall. Whilst the comment was from a unhappy Palace fan, it raised a good question. What is in the laws or FA rules about such actions. Should, in theory, Ward-Prowse be punished?

The Referee Store
I saw a petty yet interesting reply on twitter to the news of Zaha being charged with Improper conduct after last night’s game. They were questioning whether Ward-Prowse should be liable to face retrospective action, as well as Zaha, for his reaction to in Smiling, Laughing and Celebrating at the dismall. Whilst the comment was from a unhappy Palace fan, it raised a good question. What is in the laws or FA rules about such actions. Should, in theory, Ward-Prowse be punished?
What for? He’s happy an opposition player, their biggest threat and member of a team battling relegation has been sent off. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes

I though Ward-Prowse's handling of Zaha was canny and cute
Zaha should have been charged with misconduct earlier in the season for his public attempt to influence match officials. I'd have more sympathy for him if he wasn't one of the PL's adept cheats

Ward-Prowse laid the trap, within the laws (although it was probably a foul) and Zaha fell for it. Players of that ability need to be able to control their aggression, otherwise traps will be set throughout their career. I thought Hodgson's analysis was spot on though. A proper football person.

Apparently (According to MOTD) Zaha was fouled 4 times in that match - so not really a 'victim' as Roy likes to make out.

Average number of fouls is 13 per team, so 4 against one player is excessive.

Really? For a forward - can't agree on that one at all - that's less than once very 20 minutes or 2 in each half - sorry the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that no forward would think 4 free kicks in a match was excessive.

I though Ward-Prowse's handling of Zaha was canny and cute
Zaha should have been charged with misconduct earlier in the season for his public attempt to influence match officials. I'd have more sympathy for him if he wasn't one of the PL's adept cheats
I will start off by admitting that I am a Palace fan so I am not completely impartial but that is an odd comment when players such as Hazard have also called for more protection.

Zaha completely deserved his red card but I do sympathise as he is on the receiving end of some terrible fouls.

Just this season the Capoue one which should have been a red card, the Huddersfield one which was a definite orange (and to be fair did receive yellow), the two Milner challenges at Liverpool (which he received two cautions for).

when players such as Hazard have also called for more protection.
Agreed, Zaha is not the only one to have been manipulative with comments to the media
Zaha needs to focus on his game because his career is not really living up to expectations (partly in my opinion because he causes his own distractions)

Haven't seen the incident. There are provisions ln LOTG to caution someone who is being provocative to an opponent. Celebration of a goal is a good example. I don't think there needs to be retrospective action for something that is only cautionable (USB).

Agreed, Zaha is not the only one to have been manipulative with comments to the media
Zaha needs to focus on his game because his career is not really living up to expectations (partly in my opinion because he causes his own distractions)
He has no ambition. Failed at united and went back to Palace but after putting in good performances and the big clubs began circling again, he signed a new contract at palace. And after playing a few friendlies for England, decided to play for Ivory Coast instead after England stopped calling. He’s not up to the fight

Sorry but this I must object to!

To say he failed at Man United is harsh beyond belief! Went aged 20 having never lived away from home before and wasn’t given a chance by Moyes who, if were being honest, isn’t known for choosing flair players.

Also he chose to play for the team of his birth. Not sure I’d use that to point to a lack of ambition.

Also gets an unfair reputation as a cheat (as he’s been called this on this thread). This mainly comes from fans of teams like Watford, who are salty that he’s won so many penalties against them.

As an aside how is Ashley Barnes shouting ‘**** off’ multiple times in the assistant’s face yesterday not worthy of the same punishment as Zaha (rightfully) received in midweek?

Last edited:
When you prepare at top level, or a league where you know the players, you do your homework. You have a jist of who does what, how they play, how they behave, who you can speak to, tactics, what to expect at set pieces etc...
Zaha, alarm bells ring when he gets ball, he might be chopped down, he might go to ground easy, or, he might cheat (simulation for its Sunday name)
Good proactive refereeing to know what you are up againgst.

When you prepare at top level, or a league where you know the players, you do your homework. You have a jist of who does what, how they play, how they behave, who you can speak to, tactics, what to expect at set pieces etc...
Zaha, alarm bells ring when he gets ball, he might be chopped down, he might go to ground easy, or, he might cheat (simulation for its Sunday name)
Good proactive refereeing to know what you are up againgst.
Is there not the risk here though that referees do not judge decisions on their merits?

A preconceived idea that the player might 'cheat' runs the risk of the player not getting a free kick for a genuine foul (as happened before the Zaha incident on Wednesday).

I also think it's dangerous to just look at the number of times a player gets cautioned for simulation as an indicator. Barnes for example will have that caution against his name yesterday when the decision was blatantly wrong.

Is there not the risk here though that referees do not judge decisions on their merits?

A preconceived idea that the player might 'cheat' runs the risk of the player not getting a free kick for a genuine foul (as happened before the Zaha incident on Wednesday).

I also think it's dangerous to just look at the number of times a player gets cautioned for simulation as an indicator. Barnes for example will have that caution against his name yesterday when the decision was blatantly wrong.

No, top refs wont do that, instead be mindful of all possibilities
Very high risk of Zaha at least going to ground easy when he runs at men with ball
Its about being alert, as much to make sure he gets the free kicks he deserves, aa much as those he does not
Huge calls when he dribbles into box, potential pens, cards, so its good homework to be prepared
Hughes, Shearer, you knew they were going to be strong and use body to hold ball up
Keane, you knew he not going to take prisioners and pull out a tackle
Ronaldo, similar to Zaha, albeit more often than not he be fouled
Its about knowing the traits of the players, and teams,research, same as a coach prepares in advance for his match.

Sorry but this I must object to!

To say he failed at Man United is harsh beyond belief! Went aged 20 having never lived away from home before and wasn’t given a chance by Moyes who, if were being honest, isn’t known for choosing flair players.

Also he chose to play for the team of his birth. Not sure I’d use that to point to a lack of ambition.
He left after 2 years and didn’t succede, therefore he failed.

And he went to play for the country of birth AFTER playing for England at every level.

Anyway, off topic for a ref forum now

Back