A&H

Was I a bit quick with the second yellow

SM

The avuncular one
Player picks up a caution for a reckless foul early in the second half. In the 89 minute he hacks down an opponent running into a promising position. Nailed on second caution.

The ball rolls to an attacker on the edge of the penalty area, but quite wide, with defenders near.

In my mind I am thinking, "he's gone, don't mess about with advantage, whistle for foul, second caution, red and freekick"

The attacking player moaned about wanting the advantage. I had seen him shoot, the sun even shines on a dogs bottom some days, but very unlikely he is smashing it in from there.

Would anyone have allowed the advantage there?

The Referee Store
Had it been his 1st caution then I'd have possibly played the advantage. As it was his second I've have given the free kick and dismissed him

Yeah have to agree with Ross. Unless its a clear advantage and the player is 9/10 going to score, I would be blowing and showing the cards. Not many players moan when you send off an opposition player.

Given that you appeared to assess the situation I agree that I'd give the free kick. Advantage or not I know I'd be walking the player

Come on, Monkey, admit that you were worried about remembering which player had hacked him down ;)

Lol

I did have the phenomenon of both sets of players saying "don't send him off ref, games won, there's no time"

The player in question took it like a man. Off he went. After the game I said to him "I didn't want to send you off, but your tackle gave me no choice."

"Yeah that one was a yellow, but the first one was never a caution!"

He kind of missed the point that when you are on a caution, you don't commit yourself to risky challenges likely to lead to further cautions. When you are winning by 5 goals. But there you go...

It reminds me of the only time I was going to give a lecture instead of a second caution. Last minute of the last game of the season. I thought I don't need it, it's the end of the season just call him over and give him a rollocking. As I'm calling him over he shouts at me ' what are you doing ref your sending me off!' so I duly obliged!

The moral is players know when they are in the mire!

The stupidity of players already on a caution never fails to amaze me!

Spot on with not playing the advantage SM, it's not worth the risk; suppose the ball was to somehow break and he scored (far fetched I know).

Back