A&H

Junior/Youth Was I right to send this kid off?

BrisRef

Just wondering if I was correct to send off this player in an U13 match today.

2 minutes left to go, score 5-2 to the away team. The defenders clear the ball and I turn around to run away. However, behind my back there was supposedly a head butt (but not many people saw it including myself so I couldn't act). As I turn around to see what is going on I see a red player calling an opposition player who had glasses a 'google c**t'. I isolated him and showed red to which there was bemusement as not many people had heard it. After the game, though, coaches from both teams were telling me not to send in the report (I will of course) and they told me that next time I should just let them sub the kid off so they can talk to him.

Should I have sent him off? Or would it have been better to have him subbed off? Cheers :)

The Referee Store
Off for OFFINABUS regardless. You didn't see the first but acted on what you did see.

Nice and simple

Oh and if you feel up to it them misconduct for both coaches.

LOTS are for all. Some seem to think that youth is treated differently. If they are old enough or knowledgeable to put together an offensive insult then they should be able to understand the punishment.

As per another post - we don't advise on tactics or who ti sub, unless they pay me to be a coach too.

Off for OFFINABUS regardless. You didn't see the first but acted on what you did see.

Nice and simple

That's what I thought and at the time it was an easy red. I was just surprised at how so many disagreed though.

Had one yesterday thought I was a effing tw*t so as play went on i passed him and told him he was off for that at next stoppage. Sure enough next stoppage and sent him off to the shock of everyone. Told his captain who told him he was a effing dick, clipped him round the head and told him to eff off and not bother coming into the bar afterwards.

I'd certainly mention in my match report to the league that both coaches were asking you not to send the report in

Not sure I'd call it misconduct unless they were asking in a manner that wasn't to your liking

Had one yesterday thought I was a effing tw*t so as play went on i passed him and told him he was off for that at next stoppage. Sure enough next stoppage and sent him off to the shock of everyone. Told his captain who told him he was a effing dick, clipped him round the head and told him to eff off and not bother coming into the bar afterwards.

Surely the captain should have gone, too, for his comments to his team-mate, in the interests of consistency

I'd certainly mention in my match report to the league that both coaches were asking you not to send the report in

Not sure I'd call it misconduct unless they were asking in a manner that wasn't to your liking

Is not misconduct anything that is to the opposite of acceptable conduct? So pint being not is the request to not submit a card miss conduct but is is acceptable conduct.

Something might not be one thing but it does not automatically make it the other.

No one was offended or insulted. Pride dented maybe ...

No-one has to be

Deep down, hrw, were you really offended or insulted by some @rse of a parks footballer calling you an effing t... or did you just know that you could send him off for saying it :rolleyes:

Nicely done, shame about the incorrect procedure employed.

Should've stopped play immediately, dismissed the player, restart with IDFK to opponents.

Instead of trying to find clever ways of not applying the OFFINABUS offence under the LOTG, try remembering the basics!

Red U13 or not.

More chance of him taking notice in the long term than letting him off with a subbing.

Nicely done, shame about the incorrect procedure employed.

Should've stopped play immediately, dismissed the player, restart with IDFK to opponents.

Instead of trying to find clever ways of not applying the OFFINABUS offence under the LOTG, try remembering the basics!

What if the opponents are on a really promising attack? Would you blow for the idfk just to send a player off and bring play back some yards and allow the defending team to regroup?

After the game, though, coaches from both teams were telling me not to send in the report (I will of course) and they told me that next time I should just let them sub the kid off so they can talk to him.

When I first started refereeing youth games I, wrongly, thought this was the right way to do things. Let the teams sort the lads out and putting the cards through was too harsh on them. I was an absolute fool for it. The only way they learn is by getting that punishment on the day and for future weekends when they are banned. In a world of ideals these youth coaches would act as mentors to the boys and teach them how to act. But they just aren't, which is a shame. So hitting them with bans and fines from the FA is the right course of action.

Padfoot is 100% right here you cant play advantage and then come back to dismiss a player, either there and then or not at all!!

You most certainly can play advantage and dismiss on the next stoppage.

Is it recommended? No. Then again, most dismissals in cases like this are for serious foul play, spitting, or violent conduct. These are things that have the potential to explode if not dealt with immediately.

Case of a second caution dismissal (for example)? By all means, play that advantage... especially if it's a good one.

Last year, a (Canada) FIFA referee told us that the only time she would ever play advantage on a red for one of the aforementioned infractions would be if an attacker had the chance to score a goal in the next couple of seconds.

What if the opponents are on a really promising attack? Would you blow for the idfk just to send a player off and bring play back some yards and allow the defending team to regroup?

If they were about to put the ball in the net.....I might consider the advantage...anything else and play is stopping as per the recommendation regarding not playing advantage when a dismissable offence has occurred.

The reason you wouldn't play advantage is this: if that player you're about to bin runs up the other end and scores? Bye bye match control and credibility as well as potentially your front teeth!

oh, worms opened!

Lesson learnt - yes.

In reality as I passed and commented (just on halfway line) he stopped to a walk, and play was indeed in the PA by then as the break hoofed it up field and the shot was taken, just tipped over the bar.

So, yes i may have not followed procedure so lesson leart for next time, but also seems that it falls into the "he wasnt / wuldnt have been involved in the play, and advantage was ongoing etc"

Had the situation been different i would probably have stopped immeidately and sent him.

You live an learn dont ya (thanks for the confirmation of the correct procedure Padfoot.)

When I first started refereeing youth games I, wrongly, thought this was the right way to do things. Let the teams sort the lads out and putting the cards through was too harsh on them. I was an absolute fool for it. The only way they learn is by getting that punishment on the day and for future weekends when they are banned. In a world of ideals these youth coaches would act as mentors to the boys and teach them how to act. But they just aren't, which is a shame. So hitting them with bans and fines from the FA is the right course of action.

Yeah it can certainly be quite intimidating and easy to give in too with numerous coaches from both teams putting pressure on! As you said, shame they can't just look at the incident objectively and see that it deserves a ban/fine.

Back