Danwilliams

Level 7 Referee
Game yesterday 1 yellow (sinbin) 1 red

Blue Player said to me you give fuc. ing anything so I sent him to the sinbin

Red player said your a tw.t so I sent him off

was I right in both situations?

Because calling me a tw.t is a sinbin offence according to managers and players

The Referee Store
Depending on how you want to manage the match, it might be a good idea to show red for both offenses.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the FA decided swearing at the referee should always result in a red card. Anyone know anything about this?

I wouldn't be giving a red for the top scenario. I think a sinbin is the correct action here.

Second would be a red all day long.

Both correct for me. Managers and players think they can insult and abuse you? A quiet word with your local FA might be called for.

We've discussed this lots, but really the word 'offensive' in the law allows us to send off any player for any comment which we find offensive.

Game yesterday 1 yellow (sinbin) 1 red

Blue Player said to me you give fuc. ing anything so I sent him to the sinbin

Red player said your a tw.t so I sent him off

was I right in both situations?

Because calling me a tw.t is a sinbin offence according to managers and players
Sounds like I'd have done exactly the same as you did

Worth remembering that dissent/offensive is all about your interpretation. If you're feeling offended or abused then someone is going for an early bath... That said, my interpretation for that kind of thing is usually swearing in context as in 'oh for .... sake' is different too 'you are a ....'.

Managers will ALWAYS lesson an offence to try and undermine you if they can. Just stick to your principles and your training and *&^% what they think!!

Worth remembering that dissent/offensive is all about your interpretation. If you're feeling offended or abused then someone is going for an early bath... That said, my interpretation for that kind of thing is usually swearing in context as in 'oh for .... sake' is different too 'you are a ....'.
Close but not exactly. If some else is offended or abused then it's also a red.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the FA decided swearing at the referee should always result in a red card. Anyone know anything about this?
This is untrue - at least as far as my information goes. To the best of my knowledge, the FA has never issued any such instruction. Sounds a lot like the kind of refereeing myth that pops up from time to time.

The IFAB on the other hand, has specified that any player, substitute, substituted player or team official using offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures (whether towards a referee or anyone else) is sent off and the FA may well have echoed or reinforced that. Depending on the circumstances, swearing can be considered by the referee to constitute offensive, insulting or abusive language - but not necessarily.

Within 20 minutes of my first Adult game (i’d done over 100 Junior games by then) I gave an absolute stick on pen when a keeper wiped out a striker, in hindsight that was maybe red too but I went yellow.

I told the keeper to get on his line as he was stood next to the spotted ball staring out the striker lined up. After 1-2 gentle verbal nudges I asked him more forcefully and he turned to me and said ‘FO you cnut’, so out popped my first adult cherry 🍒 quickly followed by a second separate player 🍒 with a punch thrown 10 minutes later. Great baptism of fire but what on earth was he thinking! 🤨

Last edited:
This is untrue - at least as far as my information goes. To the best of my knowledge, the FA has never issued any such instruction. Sounds a lot like the kind of refereeing myth that pops up from time to time.

The IFAB on the other hand, has specified that any player, substitute, substituted player or team official using offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures (whether towards a referee or anyone else) is sent off and the FA may well have echoed or reinforced that. Depending on the circumstances, swearing can be considered by the referee to constitute offensive, insulting or abusive language - but not necessarily.
The misconception may have come from Temporary Dismissal training where the differentiation between dissent and OFFINABUS was emphasised.

Back