A&H

WBA vs BRI

The Referee Store
I can't explain how the R's reached their final decision TBH
This just shouldn't happen to an Elite Match Official. An deeply unenviable predicament Mason found himself in, but not exactly a surprise

(Brighton boy here, so gutted)

What’s he doing blowing so early!?!
It’s obviously a brainfart. He probably does the right thing by blowing again. But then the flatulence continues with the award of the goal. WFT is VAR saying? Most likely Mason is totally spooked.

In the end retake is what we expect. We all know not to blow an on the whistle DFK when standing over the ball. It’s not fair.

But it’s the kind of meltdown that might cost him his place in the prem.

I can't explain how the R's reached their final decision TBH
How they've got to the final decision is pretty straightforward - he's blown the whistle again before the ball enters the goal, so they've correctly disallowed the goal. It may be a major ****-up by Mason to begin with, but the final decision is ultimately the correct one.

How they've got to the final decision is pretty straightforward - he's blown the whistle again before the ball enters the goal, so they've correctly disallowed the goal. It may be a major ****-up by Mason to begin with, but the final decision is ultimately the correct one.
OK, the commentary team seemed to conclude the second whistle came after the goal was scored. You must be right

To compound things, I think it was a poor decision to award Brighton
Understandably, Mason looks stressed and has bleeding wounds

Last edited:
The complete ignorance of the laws of the game from professional commentators and ex-pros is staggering. Following Welbeck's penalty hitting the post and rebounding straight to him, Lee Mason awards an indirect free kick to West Brom and neither of the commentary team knew why and even suggested it could have been for offside! 🤔

for the first whistle, did he accidentally blow it?
not ideal at all

Looks like they might of been a breakdown in communications between Mason and the VAR given he gave the goal after initially disallowing it only to disallow it again. I'm guessing what the VAR looked at was did Mason blew his whistle for the second time before the shot went in the goal as it did not seem clear what the VAR was looking at.

As others have noted, Mason did look a little flustered by it all and I almost feel sorry for him even if albeit it was his mistake that started it all off.

He wasn't concentrating properly, it really is as simple as that. He's blown the whistle for the free kick without realising that the WBA keeper was still lining the wall up. He then sees the keeper scurrying across the goal and blows again, just before the ball crosses line. One of those where's he's tried to correct his mistake but has actually ended up making it much worse.

Similar happened last week. Think it was Martin Atkinson blowing for a free kick without actually looking at it. Southampton played it forward and scored he had no idea whether it had been taken before or after the whistle had been blown. Minor lapses of concentration like this really can have serious consequences.

He wasn't concentrating properly, it really is as simple as that. He's blown the whistle for the free kick without realising that the WBA keeper was still lining the wall up. He then sees the keeper scurrying across the goal and blows again, just before the ball crosses line. One of those where's he's tried to correct his mistake but has actually ended up making it much worse.

Similar happened last week. Think it was Martin Atkinson blowing for a free kick without actually looking at it. Southampton played it forward and scored he had no idea whether it had been taken before or after the whistle had been blown. Minor lapses of concentration like this really can have serious consequences.

But I've seen goals scored before where a quick free kick was taken and the keeper scurrying across and the goal stands. Surely the keepers involvement is irrelevant here?

I noticed on the replays several West Brom players had there backs turned as they were lining up the wall with the keeper so it could be that reason why Mason blew his whistle again?

But I've seen goals scored before where a quick free kick was taken and the keeper scurrying across and the goal stands. Surely the keepers involvement is irrelevant here?

I noticed on the replays several West Brom players had there backs turned as they were lining up the wall with the keeper so it could be that reason why Mason blew his whistle again?
This. For me, if the wall is in position I.e 10 yards away, the ball has been placed correctly and I’ve got myself in position, we’re ready to play. I’m not standing around waiting for the keeper to sort himself out

Lewis Dunk has said he asked Mason if he could take the freekick, he said yes and blew the whistle. It does seem hes then realised the keeper wasn’t ready when this obviously should have been checked before the whistle

I make you absolutely right. Refereeing if very unforgiving. Only takes a momentary lapse and we're in trouble. That said, this was really poor (for multiple reasons) for a top-flight whistle-blower

It's just basic game management. Why on earth would you blow to restart with the keeper not in position and still lining up his wall, you are risking causing yourself unnecessary grief. I'm happy with them going quickly if it is immediately after I've given the foul, but once I've decided it is ceremonial the timeline is mine.

It's just basic game management. Why on earth would you blow to restart with the keeper not in position and still lining up his wall, you are risking causing yourself unnecessary grief. I'm happy with them going quickly if it is immediately after I've given the foul, but once I've decided it is ceremonial the timeline is mine.
Again, agreed. Why invite trauma? Sort of thing which would lead to abandonment. Manage the set-piece properly and move on

Lewis Dunk has said he asked Mason if he could take the freekick, he said yes and blew the whistle. It does seem hes then realised the keeper wasn’t ready when this obviously should have been checked before the whistle
That was my understanding of it. Lee Mason started a ceremonial fk, got asked if it could be taken quickly and for some reason said yes.

Blew the whistle then realised he'd ballsed up, and made things worse.

Back