A&H

WBA vs BRI

The Referee Store
I am intrigued by the views expressed here that the referee should be waiting for the goalkeeper to organise his defence, possibly calling players from some distance to join the "wall", then positioning himself for the kick - the free kick was awarded because of an offence by a member of the defending team, and once the referee says "On the whistle" it's the goalkeeper's job to be ready . . . not the referee's job to wait for him.

I am intrigued by the views expressed here that the referee should be waiting for the goalkeeper to organise his defence, possibly calling players from some distance to join the "wall", then positioning himself for the kick - the free kick was awarded because of an offence by a member of the defending team, and once the referee says "On the whistle" it's the goalkeeper's job to be ready . . . not the referee's job to wait for him.

I will generally give the keeper the time it takes me to set the wall and the walk back to my position by the kicker, if he's not ready/in position I'll shout him, wait a few seconds then let them take the kick

My intention is to steer my games to a conclusion bereft of as much incident and misconduct as possible. Yes, you can have a QFK before I get there, otherwise I'm hoping I won't be catching anyone by surprise with my actions thereafter
I should add, like Mason, I don't always achieve my intention!

Last edited:

I'm surprised that a tutor and observer is suggesting that. Game management is at the forefront of everything taught these days, blowing the whistle when the keeper is still lining his wall up is the polar opposite of game management, it is game management suicide.

I think that we can all agree that LM had an astronomical moment of neuro-flatulence!

Again, surely fair play would be the attackers waiting though? And the surrounding of the ref after?

It was that ridiculous that it was comedic.

I'm surprised that a tutor and observer is suggesting that. Game management is at the forefront of everything taught these days, blowing the whistle when the keeper is still lining his wall up is the polar opposite of game management, it is game management suicide.
Whilst I agree that game management is important, but trying to get through a game with no controversy and upsetting as few people as possible is not always achievable. I would expect a goalkeeper to be prepared once the whistle is blown. Would those who disagree allow a goalkeeper to call to his forwards to come back to defend the kick before taking his position and then telling the referee he may blow the whistle? Delays of that sort would be food and drink for teams hanging on to a slender lead in the latter stages of a match, and are contrary to the concept that the free kick is there for the benefit of the attacking side after an offence by a defender.

Whilst I agree that game management is important, but trying to get through a game with no controversy and upsetting as few people as possible is not always achievable. I would expect a goalkeeper to be prepared once the whistle is blown. Would those who disagree allow a goalkeeper to call to his forwards to come back to defend the kick before taking his position and then telling the referee he may blow the whistle? Delays of that sort would be food and drink for teams hanging on to a slender lead in the latter stages of a match, and are contrary to the concept that the free kick is there for the benefit of the attacking side after an offence by a defender.
I think the problem is that he is standing over the ball.

If the ref has withdrawn, is no longer interfering with the position of the ball... then the GK and defence can have no qualms.

If you are away and set of course you can blow without “coaching” the defending team.

But if you are standing over the ball it looks like deception.

But it was blown for a second time before it crossed the line, so that means it can't stand.
Is it in the VAR protocol to correct such things? If the goal should have stood but for the second whistle, then why chalk off the goal because of a wrong whistle that had no impact on what happened?

Is it in the VAR protocol to correct such things? If the goal should have stood but for the second whistle, then why chalk off the goal because of a wrong whistle that had no impact on what happened?

VAR checks all goals, so yes, if they deem the second whistle went before the ball crossed the line they are correct to disallow it even if it had no impact. Whistles start and stop play.

How they've got to the final decision is pretty straightforward - he's blown the whistle again before the ball enters the goal, so they've correctly disallowed the goal. It may be a major ****-up by Mason to begin with, but the final decision is ultimately the correct one.
Well not exactly. The final decision was right in terms of expctations but not technically. If he blew a second time to stop game and retake then we we didn't need VAR, even if he blew after the goal. It was simply a free kick taken prematurely. Just take it again. He has given the goal despite blowing the second time, that means he has accepted the ball was in play after the free kick. If he has blown before the ball went into goal then it should have been a dropped ball.

A complete mess.

It’s awful hearing what pundits are saying about him. Sitting on their phones Accusing him of not knowing the rules and panicking when it’s clear he’s made a mistake because, you know, he’s a human being. he’s obviously got himself a bit flustered (don’t forget he’s a human being) and then has to try and make a decision with 22 men screaming at him. Quite frankly, it’s online bullying. It wouldn’t surprise me if he went over to the screen not to check for offside, but just to buy himself some thinking time.

he’s tried to do the right thing in the spirit of the game when seeing Sam Johnstone standing by his post and Unfortunately on this occasion, they’ve scored.

Reactions: es1
Exactly what i was thinking.

It’s awful hearing what pundits are saying about him. Sitting on their phones Accusing him of not knowing the rules and panicking when it’s clear he’s made a mistake because, you know, he’s a human being. he’s obviously got himself a bit flustered (don’t forget he’s a human being) and then has to try and make a decision with 22 men screaming at him. Quite frankly, it’s online bullying. It wouldn’t surprise me if he went over to the screen not to check for offside, but just to buy himself some thinking time.

he’s tried to do the right thing in the spirit of the game when seeing Sam Johnstone standing by his post and Unfortunately on this occasion, they’ve scored.
The second biggest mistake was trying to use VAR to dig himself out of it.

One thing almost neglected in all of this is the Brighton missed the target with 2 penalties! They've had 60 shots on goal, 20 in target and only scored once in their last 3 games.

Think they need to look at themselves before absolutely caning the ref

Back