A&H

Wearing of Wedding Rings

Harry Kane, who this is usually aimed at, took off the band over his finger last week live on camera at the end of the game and there was nothing under there. As I've said before, I've seen this at senior games when I've been AR and I always did a touch check when I saw this and never found anything under the tape or band.

Its not just Harry Kane - loads are doing it now. As I
Aww, c'mon, don't let facts get in the way of a conspiracy theory . . . .

said above Mark Pugh is pictured wearing his untaped ring and Nakhi Wells always has tape/ring on his wedding ring finger.

I think the conspiracy is assuming they have all been told all at the same time by their equally 'protective' wives to put tape on!

Fact is the picture I saw on front cover of Saturday's QPR programme of Mark Pugh wearing a ring - where's the 'theory' or 'conspiracy' in that?!:rolleyes:

The Referee Store
Its not just Harry Kane - loads are doing it now. As I

said above Mark Pugh is pictured wearing his untaped ring and Nakhi Wells always has tape/ring on his wedding ring finger.

I think the conspiracy is assuming they have all been told all at the same time by their equally 'protective' wives to put tape on!

Fact is the picture I saw on front cover of Saturday's QPR programme of Mark Pugh wearing a ring - where's the 'theory' or 'conspiracy' in that?!:rolleyes:

But equally Kane took his off and there was clearly nothing under it.

The entire same argument came out when players started taping their wrists as people assumed they were covering a band or bracelet, but time and time again we see players get subbed, rip off the tape as they leave and there is nothing under it.

I can only go on what I saw when I was officiating at senior levels. Saw lots of players with tape or material over the finger but never found anything underneath it when checking. Whereas I did find a player with a sports watch under his wrist sweat band, obviously that came off. Perhaps Mark Pugh forgot to take the ring off before he put the band on, perhaps he always gets away with it, but it doesn't mean everyone does.

Told you it wasn't a 'theory'!:rolleyes:
Wait a minute - you're saying that a picture of a player clearly wearing a ring and with no tape on his finger, is somehow evidence that players wearing tape have a ring underneath? That's a totally invalid conclusion.

People with actual experience of checking players wearing tape in high level matches have told us they have checked and found no rings underneath the tape in their games. We also have an observation from @RustyRef that when Kane removed the tape on his finger there was no ring underneath. So we have actual evidence (unless you think they're lying) of players wearing tape with no ring underneath but no evidence of the contrary finding.

I also seem to remember reading a statement from the PGMOL in the past saying that players were wearing tape to symbolise the ring they had removed - I can't find it though, so I could be wrong and it might just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Last edited:
Wait a minute - you're saying that a picture of a player clearly wearing a ring and with no tape on his finger, is somehow evidence that players wearing tape have a ring underneath? That's a totally invalid conclusion.

People with actual experience of checking players wearing tape in high level matches have told us they have checked and found no rings underneath the tape in their games. We also have an observation from @RustyRef that when Kane removed the tape on his finger there was no ring underneath. So we have actual evidence (unless you think they're lying) of players wearing tape with no ring underneath but no evidence of the contrary finding.

I also seem to remember reading a statement from the PGMOL in the past saying that players were wearing tape to symbolise the ring they had removed - I can't find it though, so I could be wrong and it might just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Fair enough Peter. The implication was though that the top players would never be allowed to wear rings. Another poster asked for evidence of the programme, implying I had made it up.

What you say is true, but unless you believe that Mark Pugh in this instance took off his ring, added tape and then at full time rushed off to replace the tape with his ring before coming back out and applauding the fans,then its clear that at the top some players ARE wearing rings - so back to my original point its not a 'conspiracy' or 'theory'

Fair enough Peter. The implication was though that the top players would never be allowed to wear rings. Another poster asked for evidence of the programme, implying I had made it up.

What you say is true, but unless you believe that Mark Pugh in this instance took off his ring, added tape and then at full time rushed off to replace the tape with his ring before coming back out and applauding the fans,then its clear that at the top some players ARE wearing rings - so back to my original point its not a 'conspiracy' or 'theory'
Mark Pugh a top player?;)

If jewellery can't be taped up, why are players allowed to wear 'tape like' material over the finger on which they ordinarily wear their wedding ring.
Stupid. End of

If jewellery can't be taped up, why are players allowed to wear 'tape like' material over the finger on which they ordinarily wear their wedding ring.
Stupid. End of

It's not the tape that's the problem, it's the jewelry underneath...

Stupid. End of

Because if you allow them to tape it up and the tape peels off, they will have jewellery underneath so the problem is still there

It's not the tape that's the problem, it's the jewelry underneath...
Because if you allow them to tape it up and the tape peels off, they will have jewellery underneath so the problem is still there
You've both completely misunderstood the point I made, in the context of the preceding discussion
This issue of taping up wedding rings and professional footballers wearing tape-like material over the wedding ring finger bores the crap out of me, so I'll retire from posting further on the subject (like forever)

Hi
I know a player who lost his finger in training due to his wedding ring finger getting caught in a fence at the side of the field. It was a horrible injury. I meet him from time to time in games.
Now the question I pose to referees is whether they would be content to meet that player again knowing that it happened on their watch in a game. I certainly would not. If it goes to court can the referee defend his action? And the referees honesty based on what he saw and how he dealt with it or not.
Some referees take chances and some just don't bother. At the end up it is your game, your decisions, no one else so it makes no difference what the referee did last week. It makes it a bit more tetchy yet i always say that was last week this is today and this is my decision.

Back