A&H

Weather conditions

Luke Levy

Level 7 Referee
Quick question:

How bad does fog have to be in order to abandon a game?

It's quite foggy in North London this morning so was wondering what to do with my matches today.

A&H International
If you can't see the goals from either end, then it's too foggy

If you can't see the goals from either end, then it's too foggy
If I can just about see the goal from standing at the other goal, is that just allowed? Or should I try and see if it clears up a bit more

I would suggest if you can just about see the goal posts from either end now and with I am assuming a 10:30ko then it should clear up even more and be ok. DONT let the players influence you by saying it's ok etc if your unsure about it. It's YOUR call.

If I can just about see the goal from standing at the other goal, is that just allowed? Or should I try and see if it clears up a bit more
Yes you may be ok. You have to think about the situation where you may have run into the penalty area at one end of the field only for the ball to be punted up the other end and you are so far away, you cannot see what is happening.

Also remember that most competitions allow for up to 30 minutes for weather conditions to improve before a game should be postponed. Doesn't apply once you've started, you can only suspend or abandon then. As the weather forecast is for the fog to clear by around 10:00, it may have improved by kick off anyway,

I had the same in Ealing this morning - advice I got - can you see the goal and a shirt number at the other end?

Speak to the teams asap that th current confition is not good, but it may be better by KO. Worst thing you want is at 1030 you surprise everyone by calling it. At least give them a heads up.

Both will "want" to play it, but sure as heck the losers will complain that you shouldn't have played it. then youre eplaining it to the League or the CFA......

As said above guys the level of fog at 9 45 generally diminishes by 10 30 ....so borderline at 10 should be fine by 10 30 ?

As a general rule :)

Last season as an assistant referee went into the changing came out 10 min later and fog had hit the ground like anything

Back