A&H

Well - what a breath of fresh air!

Dan, the only two way part of dissent is that I don't speak to them like a piece of **** and expect the same in return.
Is dissent acceptable if the referee referuses to explain decisions?
How many times have we booked a player for calling us a "a f***ing joke" and you hear him pipe up "You can't talk to this ref"!?!?!
Certain teams I will not explain any decison to because they don't want an explanation. They want an argument. They will twist anything I say to try and make themselves look correct and the longer the chat goes on the closer they get to saying something silly.
I ignore these people to save them money.

The Referee Store
I'll accept that I've not done "parks" football for a few years, but I continued to play whilst refereeing at L4 and then returned to Step 5 playing again this season (before hopping across the pond). Countless times I came across referees who don't help themselves. No-one wants a referee who refuses to talk to players. I don't mean the referees who caution as you mentioned, I'm talking about the ones who in any other walk of life would be told they're being rude & arrogant - let's be honest here, we've ALL seen these officials!
My attitude when I was officiating was that if I couldn't justify it, I shouldn't be giving it. Therefore, if someone asked (politely of course) why I'd given it, they got a quick answer/explanation why!

I can't tell you the amount of times as a 4 that I'd get thanked by players/coaches for being a ref they could talk to. Even guys who were cautioned/sent off as everyone (who needed to know) knew why.

I've been involved in football in all 3 capacities - player, ref & coach. Yes, there are coaches who are tossers. Yes, there are players who they're above the LOTG. But equally, there are self-righteous, arrogant, rude referees - and before someone says something, I'm most certainly not claiming you're one of them...I've never met you!

In the sport of American Football, and that includes British Am. Foot. too, there is a much more mutual respect from both parties. I never met a ref who thought they were better than/above anyone else and I never met a coach who used 'dissent' to the officials. If there was a query, the coach (generally through the HC) would enquire of the officials and they'd give him a proper answer. Because of this, players, coaches & officials all got on better and there was that mutual understanding. I'm certainly not saying all officials are good, because they're not, but there was a justifiable reason explained for every call.

Back