A&H

Weymouth v Chesterfield

The Referee Store
Footage here:

What do we think? That tackle resulted in Tshimanga who has scored 24 goals in 27 games breaking his leg?

Cant tell from that clip, no angle and too far away.
Based on what I can make out, it looks like a hard but fair tackle, at a push, using more force than needed but, sticking neck out, unless there is other footage avail that looks ok to me

who he is and how many goals he has scored has no bearing. Unless ( i have no idea on reputation, rivalry here), there is a feeling he was wiped out due to being a threat.

Referees are damned if they do and damned if they don't. You'd either have 'he's won the ball, it's a great challenge. Modern football is too soft!' or 'no! He's hurt him!' And your mention of his statistics is frankly odd. Are you saying you believe its a red but you'd give yellow if he'd only scored 10?

Thanks both for your contributions

Apologies I should have explained in the original post, I’m a Wrexham fan and they play in the same league as us. I just wanted to give a bit of context about the player as it’s a massive blow to their (Chesterfield’s) title hopes, it’s absolutely not relevant to the tackle.

For what it’s worth I thought it was a strong but fair tackle and was interested in other refs’ views

Thanks both for your contributions

Apologies I should have explained in the original post, I’m a Wrexham fan and they play in the same league as us. I just wanted to give a bit of context about the player as it’s a massive blow to their (Chesterfield’s) title hopes, it’s absolutely not relevant to the tackle.

For what it’s worth I thought it was a strong but fair tackle and was interested in other refs’ views

People do get hurt, for what its worth, the two worst injuries I have been at, as a fan, are David Busst at Old Trafford and Alan Smith at Anfield, neither involved a tackle.
It follows suit that in a tackle, angle of leg, position re ground, sometime someone somewhere will come off a tackle pretty bad

Agree with @Anubis on this one, in the absence of further footage, this looks like a good challenge with an unfortunate outcome for the attacker.

I once had to send a manager off who was arguing with me as he couldn’t understand a good tackle can sometimes lead to an unfortunate injury.

this looks to be one of these cases

I’d like a better angle. I thought it was a foul despite winning the ball, as he appears to go through the opponent. But I could easily be persuaded differently with a better angle.

That looks forceful and I've given them even when a player 'wins' the ball because of safety concerns with the trailing leg usually (i.e. one leg thumps the ball, the other leg does the damage), and yes, it's always divisive in my experience, 50-50 whether the players think it's fine or if they think it's excessive.

But as others have said, sometimes you get the softest of contact and you come away with a broken ankle. Tough to say.

Very hard to tell from the poor quality and distant footage. The back leg looks to be the offender here that whipped the attacker in which case I'd caution. Brocken leg is an unfortunate outcome. If both the playing leg and the back leg slid in front of the attacker and the attacker tripped over them then no foul.

Even with grainy footage, that tackle is a two footed lunge, off his feet, not in control, with excessive force, with studs showing and is dangerous. Ticks all the boxes for a red card and for me, is a red card. It disturbs and upsets me that fellow referees will just play on. Perhaps courses are taught differently elsewhere.

Even with grainy footage, that tackle is a two footed lunge, off his feet, not in control, with excessive force, with studs showing and is dangerous. Ticks all the boxes for a red card and for me, is a red card. It disturbs and upsets me that fellow referees will just play on. Perhaps courses are taught differently elsewhere.
Can't say I agree, watched it several times and not sure if it's foul or not. I wouldn't be calling a foul off one view in normal time, looks firm but fair to me.

Better footage here
at 4'35''

It looks to me like an accident. The video is only ever one view from one angle, but a big clue is no reaction to suggest otherwise from players, fans, ref or lino (both with decent views).

Always tempting to dissect based on being wise to an outcome, but I can't see anything to criticise the officials on here.

Michel Platini would have a field day with it, but IMHO he'd be arguing for a review of the Laws, not implementation of what football currently expects

From freeze-frames, you can get a shot on that which shows the Claret player with both legs around the Blue player's standing leg. That's one of the criteria I was trained to look for when giving a red card, but it's not always a bang-on certainty.

Can't say I agree, watched it several times and not sure if it's foul or not. I wouldn't be calling a foul off one view in normal time, looks firm but fair to me.
Agree, you red card there and you are surprising everyone. Even given the injury, no one is surrounding the offender or the referee demanding he is sent off, it is just seen as a total accident.

I'm going yellow in real time. If he plays with that much force, but is ahead if the attacker who comes over him, play on. But get it wrong and clear out the attacker with the trailing leg, it your torso, and you have problems.

Don't see it being red, though. The speed of the challenge isn't excessive, for me. We've all seen others where players charge from distance at a static opponent and wallop them. This isn't that. Part if the force comes from the attacker.

Better footage here
at 4'35''

It looks to me like an accident. The video is only ever one view from one angle, but a big clue is no reaction to suggest otherwise from players, fans, ref or lino (both with decent views).

Always tempting to dissect based on being wise to an outcome, but I can't see anything to criticise the officials on here.

Michel Platini would have a field day with it, but IMHO he'd be arguing for a review of the Laws, not implementation of what football currently expects
From that video I’m going fair challenge. I think the lack of appeals from anybody says it all really

From that video I’m going fair challenge. I think the lack of appeals from anybody says it all really

Agree, there is nothing from either clips that says there is anything amiss
Refs in a good place, no players are up in arms, I dont know whose at home or the crowd split but there is no gasps and howls, nothing other than the speed the defender goes into the challenge even raises an eyebrow, and even then its hard to find anything illegal.

Back