A&H

What an Eye-OPener!

MattyontheWhistle

RefChat Addict
Well, we are still in pre-season, and I had a game yesterday in the pre-season cup. These are played in 3x30min periods, with the officials rotating the whistle each period, so we all gt a run out (it's pre-season for us as well).

Now, here in NZ, the pyramid of the game goes, from top to bottom:

ASB Premiership Div 1
ASB Premiership Div 2 (National)

Northern League (North Island) & Southern League (South Island)

7 x Federations (Regional Competitions) - My Federation is Waikato/Bay of Plenty (WaiBOP)
So our Federation then goes:

Federation 1
Federation 2 (teams from the whole of the Federation)
Bay 1 Waikato 1
Bay 2 (Teams from the BOP) Waikato 2
U17s & U15s and Baywide Women.

Now, I am a Level 1 Ref and only ever had the whistle in Bay 2 games, and AR in Bay 1. I have been 'Graded' this season up to a 'Bay 1 Ref'.

Yesterday's game was between two Federation 1 teams - the equivalent of Div 5.

OMG! What an eye-opener.
Much faster game, real gobby players and foul-recognition so much more difficult. I struggled to keep up with play and missed a lot of fouls because of fitness (or lack of it).

Fouls were far more subtle, a lot of upper body stuff going on rather than the contact fouls I am used to.

Can't say I enjoyed my time in the middle, as I did feel out of my depth, but it has shown me what is required for me to progress to that level. The other official (a Northern League Ref) with me that day did give me some positives to walk away with, but the biggest thing was fitness and keeping up with play.

For those interested, the score finished 10 - 0 to the home team!

Sore ankles today, as we are 7 weeks into a serious drought, and the pitch was like lumpy concrete.

The Referee Store
A step up is always am eye opener and a steep learning curve. Apply what you've learned in terms of awareness and fitness to your next games, until you're 100% ready to tackle that level again.

Watching other more experienced guys in the middle when you're on the line is good too. You pick up a lot of do's and don'ts and things that you can add to your game. Enjoy!

Absolutely, but I find it more beneficial to watch them from the stands - last Saturday, there was a USB YC, I didn;t see the offence because I was focused on the 2nd last defender (it looking like the guy was about to play a through ball when he was fouled).

Hi Guys Ive just been given my first middle in the North West Counties which is Supply League so in regards to my usual amatuer stuff this is going to be a big step up - anybody got any tips for me in regards to the handling of this game bearing in mind these guys are used to level 4 referees and Ive been given a shot at it at level 6

Thanks Matty, i know your right its just a big jump but at the end of the day its 11 men vs 11men which is what i do week in week out

Back