A&H

What can't players shout?

I thought someone on here had contacted Elleray on this point several years ago and he confirmed that the only verbal offenses would be those set out in Law 12 (i.e. the misconduct offenses that are verbal).

That might have been me. In any event, what Elleray said in his reply (in relation to this issue - I had asked other questions as well) was that:

the main purpose of the clarification, however, was because when it became a direct FK for physical offences against a match official some wrongly took this to include verbal offences.

So the point he was making was that giving a DFK for any and all verbal offences against a match official was not correct. It neither says nor implies that it's OK to give an IFK without a caution for verbal distraction of an opponent.

When this clarification was made, I think the wording that accompanied it also sets it in the context of offences where either a caution or sending-off is involved, as follows:

Clarifies that verbal/gesture offences are punished with an indirect free kick even if there is a caution (YC) or sending-off (RC); some have wrongly interpreted the direct free kick for a ‘offences against a match official’ to include dissent etc. but it only applies to physical offences."

The Referee Store
This thread moved in a direction I wasn't expecting, as I had not considered the verbal offence/ifk aspect - I had used the wording about "verbally distracts an opponent" to suggest that should apply when that is a conscious act, as opposed to the excited 13-year-old who shouts "mine" or similar.
Thinking back, I cannot remember the last time this happened in a game I witnessed (70 observations last season, 10 mentoring, 15 or so as a spectator) - must be several seasons ago, and I operate at all levels from mini-soccer through to the semi-professional game.

This one has always been simple for me. If you identify the offence then you have to stop play and sanction correctly ie. yellow card.
IDFK is simply the restart.
End of story. 🙂

This happens for me once a season as a specific scenario. As soon as a player receives the ball, an opponent shouts "man on" to get a mistake out of it. I don't ever remember it impacting play as if it did it's an easy caution. I can only remember cautioning for it once. The usual action is a talking to at the next stoppage. The one that got cautioned was a repeat offence after previously being warned even though neither cases had impacted play.

Thanks @one I think that giving a warning in this situation would be the common sense thing to do as the player had INTENT to distract opponent and play was NOT impacted..

My initial question was what to do when there was NO intent by the attacker but play WAS impacted (eg a "mine shout" by an attacker when two other players are going for the ball and one of them - a defender let the ball go because of the shout). Which I think is a more common scenario.

It seems to me there are two option;

1) Play On and ignore any complaints from the defender even though the defender would argue he was "Distracted" which was a consequence of the shout thus giving the attacker an advantage.

2) Give an IDFK and YC to the attacker that shouted "Mine" because as a result of his shout he did indeed cause an opponent to be distracted and the consequence was that the defender let the ball go thus giving the attacker advantage over the opponent. Ignore any complaint from the attacker because even though the distraction was not his INTENT the consequence was that his shout caused a distraction that gave him advantage.

Is that a correct summary for this type of situation?

Yes. The options are always not penalising or giving IDF and a caution. Which option you take depends on many factors. I can't tell you which I would do unless I am there. I think this thread has run its course.

Back