A&H

What do we think of Kyle Naughton's red card today?

Jordan Lockwood

Level 6 Referee
Correct advice by the AR to dismiss for DOGSO by handling?

Really on the fence with this one.... I think if this happened during one of my games I wouldn't even think to bring out a red, but after seeing it happen, I'm leaning closer to it being a correct decision.

Thoughts...?

The Referee Store
Yep he got the right decision IMO, I am more interested in whether he used the new signal or the old one :) there is no camera angle that covers it

You mean the removal of the flag across the chest?

Off the record (probably not the best writing it on a public forum haha), I brief my assistants to use the flag across the chest regardless. Everyone knows what it means, there is no confusion, so what is the problem?!

You mean the removal of the flag across the chest?

Off the record (probably not the best writing it on a public forum haha), I brief my assistants to use the flag across the chest regardless. Everyone knows what it means, there is no confusion, so what is the problem?!
The problem is that it now breaches FA guidelines and LOTG. Do not instruct your AR's to do this!

Reactions: SM
Having just watched it for a second time on TV (this time with no alcohol in my system plus the usual TV benefit of all the angles, slow motion etc), I think there is enough doubt over where that shot was heading and the fact that the players arms were sort of in front of his face for it to have just been a penalty for handball, no further action. Does seem quite harsh that he picked up a DOGSO. Wouldn't surprise me if that one is over turned.

I'm kind of on the fence as well and I'm a Tottenham supporter, definite pen and with the benefit of TV replays it looks like it is heading in so possible red, but the keeper is there so may well have saved it. I have a feeling the element of doubt that remains over it will result in it being overturned.

Having just watched it for a second time on TV (this time with no alcohol in my system plus the usual TV benefit of all the angles, slow motion etc), I think there is enough doubt over where that shot was heading and the fact that the players arms were sort of in front of his face for it to have just been a penalty for handball, no further action. Does seem quite harsh that he picked up a DOGSO. Wouldn't surprise me if that one is over turned.
I have to disagree, I think the ball was heading towards the goal, also the assistant had the best angle to tell whether it was or not. His hands were more above his head than in front of it too, he may have thought it was going to hit him in the head but it was well above it.

The AR was guessing, it happened very quickly and hit the player at short range. From 30 yards away, at a straight angle you can't really tell where the ball is going. Was it denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity? For me too many variables.

The problem is that it now breaches FA guidelines and LOTG. Do not instruct your AR's to do this!

I meant what is the problem with the old signal?

The FA guidelines contradict themselves and to be honest they don't make sense.

REASON FOR DISCONTINUATION OF OLD SIGNAL:
"Use of the signal draws unnecessary attention to the assistant referee which can create dissent and management problems. It also potentially creates conflict if used at the same time as the referee is indicating/deciding not to award a penalty kick."

NEW SIGNAL:
"- the assistant referee should raise the flag in the same hand that will be used for the remainder of the signal and agitate/wave the flag to indicate a foul has been committed"

Either way, EVERYONE knows that the AR has made the decision, so how does this eliminate any dissent or management issues? Also, it doesn't remove 'conflict if used at the same time as the referee is deciding not to award a PK.'

Back