A&H

What made you feel your performances were improving and starting to click?

Mada

For some context, I have only been refereeing since 2019 and do 95% OA football at Step 7 ranging from Division 5 through to Division 1. I'm on the promotion scheme and have fulfilled all the requirements for Level 6 next season. I

If I look back to some of my early games after doing the referee course, I can remember occasions where I was so far out of my depth and had no clue how to handle the situation due to my lack of experience. In my 2nd game I can vividly remember giving a penalty in a friendly which at the time I knew wasn't a penalty but I rushed the decision. An absolute giant came and stood next to me (I'm 6ft 2 myself) and said nothing at all apart from looking at me, very intimidating! In the games afterwards I felt rushed and found it difficult to process what was going on and relating them to the laws of the game. I'd say I was guessing rather than having a rational process. I'd even go so far to say that I shouldn't have been refereeing those games. These teams didn't know how inexperienced I was and I blagged it.

I had what turned out to be my last game of the season on Saturday. It was a Division 4 game where the home team could win the title and there was a local rivalry from the 3rd placed team. I heard some older home fans talking about the reverse fixture before the game including the multiple red cards and the referee stopping the game for 10 mins to bring order back. I was genuinely excited and saw it as a challenge rather than dreading it and going in to my shell. That match finished 6-1, I disallowed 2 goals, awarded a penalty, 1 red and 3 yellow cards. I had my best game yet and clamped down early by giving an early yellow for a reckless foul learning from my mistakes of managing the game without cards. My confidence was high and I had a sense of authority that helped me sell every decision with minimal dissent. I know I won't be this lucky every week but this one fell in place.

However, the moment that I felt everything clicked and I saw my progression was the red card incident. It was a red for DOGSO just out the box, I had players surround me from the attacking team and defending team arguing for/against a red card. I moved the players away, took my time, went through the process and issued the red card. The defending team asked why it was a red, I calmly explained why, the factors I considered and then they got on the game. The away manager who lost said I was the best ref they had all season. There is absolutely no way I could have handled that incident or overall game as I did at the start of this season. I had a pretty rough experience before the last lockdown and was quite relieved to have a break and even wondered if I needed the hassle on a Saturday afternoon but in hindsight that was another great learning experience.

I think as refs we can be critical of ourselves wondering if we got decisions right or how we handled situations but we shouldn't lose sight of the enormous opportunity for improvement, especially for us junior referees, can make in a short time. I'm interested if other referees had experienced a moment like I did at the weekend?

The Referee Store
For some context, I have only been refereeing since 2019 and do 95% OA football at Step 7 ranging from Division 5 through to Division 1. I'm on the promotion scheme and have fulfilled all the requirements for Level 6 next season. I

If I look back to some of my early games after doing the referee course, I can remember occasions where I was so far out of my depth and had no clue how to handle the situation due to my lack of experience. In my 2nd game I can vividly remember giving a penalty in a friendly which at the time I knew wasn't a penalty but I rushed the decision. An absolute giant came and stood next to me (I'm 6ft 2 myself) and said nothing at all apart from looking at me, very intimidating! In the games afterwards I felt rushed and found it difficult to process what was going on and relating them to the laws of the game. I'd say I was guessing rather than having a rational process. I'd even go so far to say that I shouldn't have been refereeing those games. These teams didn't know how inexperienced I was and I blagged it.

I had what turned out to be my last game of the season on Saturday. It was a Division 4 game where the home team could win the title and there was a local rivalry from the 3rd placed team. I heard some older home fans talking about the reverse fixture before the game including the multiple red cards and the referee stopping the game for 10 mins to bring order back. I was genuinely excited and saw it as a challenge rather than dreading it and going in to my shell. That match finished 6-1, I disallowed 2 goals, awarded a penalty, 1 red and 3 yellow cards. I had my best game yet and clamped down early by giving an early yellow for a reckless foul learning from my mistakes of managing the game without cards. My confidence was high and I had a sense of authority that helped me sell every decision with minimal dissent. I know I won't be this lucky every week but this one fell in place.

However, the moment that I felt everything clicked and I saw my progression was the red card incident. It was a red for DOGSO just out the box, I had players surround me from the attacking team and defending team arguing for/against a red card. I moved the players away, took my time, went through the process and issued the red card. The defending team asked why it was a red, I calmly explained why, the factors I considered and then they got on the game. The away manager who lost said I was the best ref they had all season. There is absolutely no way I could have handled that incident or overall game as I did at the start of this season. I had a pretty rough experience before the last lockdown and was quite relieved to have a break and even wondered if I needed the hassle on a Saturday afternoon but in hindsight that was another great learning experience.

I think as refs we can be critical of ourselves wondering if we got decisions right or how we handled situations but we shouldn't lose sight of the enormous opportunity for improvement, especially for us junior referees, can make in a short time. I'm interested if other referees had experienced a moment like I did at the weekend?
Trouble is (in my experience), the pattern involves taking a one step back to take two steps forward. My progress has been steady, rather than stepped. Probably the most important lesson, was that dissent/abuse can't be managed by words alone
Otherwise, I reckon we're only as good as our last game

Trouble is (in my experience), the pattern involves taking a one step back to take two steps forward. My progress has been steady, rather than stepped. Probably the most important lesson, was that dissent/abuse can't be managed by words alone
Otherwise, I reckon we're only as good as our last game
Indeed, no matter how much its 'clicked' we ALL still have our 'moments' , ........................don't we Mr Dean?:p

One of the aha moments for me (and there have been a few) was when I took a really long hard look at why I was having a high amount of cautions for dissent.

What I found was that other than a few isolated incidents, most of my dissent was a culmination of issues that I was allowing to build up and not addressing earlier. Once I'd identified the root cause, I was able to work on addressing my game to avoid the build up issues.

One of the aha moments for me (and there have been a few) was when I took a really long hard look at why I was having a high amount of cautions for dissent.

What I found was that other than a few isolated incidents, most of my dissent was a culmination of issues that I was allowing to build up and not addressing earlier. Once I'd identified the root cause, I was able to work on addressing my game to avoid the build up issues.

Absolutely, I was the same. If you have more cautions for dissent than anything else there is almost certainly something wrong with your game. For me it was that I was refereeing as an ex-player and trying to keep my cards away, and once I sorted that out the dissent cautions came right down.

Back