A&H

Junior/Youth What whistle to use in which situation?

I use Fox 40. Its' great and can be heard wherever I am. However, I struggle with changing the tone of the whistle. Any tips?

The Referee Store
Use your tongue against the hole for a "pip" sound. Don't blow as hard for a longer "peep". Cover one of the holes with a finger or thumb in the case of underneath.

Minor variations.

Use your tongue against the hole for a "pip" sound. Don't blow as hard for a longer "peep". Cover one of the holes with a finger or thumb in the case of underneath.

Minor variations.
takes a bit of practice, hary from refsworld australia has a couple of youtube tutorials worth a look thats how i learned

or rugby no place in football

I'm not a metal whistle user and never have been or intend to be.

I know there is probably a greater risk of injury if you were unlucky enough to get hit by the ball at the exact same moment you had the whistle in your mouth. And that some cheap imitation whistles might freeze or the pea might get stuck. But why do people get such a sad on about them?

I ran the line for anow "older" level 5 on a cup final a few weeks ago and he used a metal whistle, it carried across the pitch over the noise of the crowd fine.

Minor variations.
Always thought the covered hole sounded like a netball whistle. But as for the first bit - absolutely. If there isn't a sharp start/stop you're doing it wrong. Some swear by it. Each to their own!

To try it - literally say 'toot' next time you blow the whistle. You'll feel a sharp start/stop of air.

Not a fan of pea whistles on our game.

i started with an acme as i "inherited" it from my sons' coach....
i then discovered pealess and went with the sonic, and now after @Mewcenary 's extraordinarily amusing review of that ive now got myself a fox40 to try out... i shall be annoying the neighbours with it tonight :)

i started with an acme as i "inherited" it from my sons' coach....
i then discovered pealess and went with the sonic, and now after @Mewcenary 's extraordinarily amusing review of that ive now got myself a fox40 to try out... i shall be annoying the neighbours with it tonight :)
if the neighbours are used to the sonic they will love you, the fox 40 classic is a great whistle but not as loud as the sonic

Back