A&H

Open Age What would you do if you were me?

Shepard14

So in the last minutes of the game, I sent off A's forward for violent conduct and spitting on opponent. Then, a team-mate of the sent off ran to me just to protest, and he - a little bit - pushed me after raising the red card. The push, to be honest, was not harmful, yet I showed him a second yellow card. It was adrenaline, and I had second thoughts about this yellow.. Should I had: A) Do nothing and listen to his protest. B) Show a straight red.

Your opinions?

The Referee Store
How far had the play ran to protest the decision for the 2nd caution. I personally wouldve sent off the player for the push as VC as there is no need/reason whatsoever for them to touch you.

I know from bitter experience that players can and do lay hands on you. There is absolutely NO excuse for a player to put hands on you. If this is done in any way as a challenge to your decisions or authority as Dan says you should give a straight red for VC. I understand that a little push might not seem much in the way of "violence" but once one does it, they will all do it. The law (criminal as opposed to LOTG) defines such a touch as battery - that is to say the unlawful application of force. The law does not define how much force constitutes a battery, merely that force is applied. Rant over.

Mick. said:
I know from bitter experience that players can and do lay hands on you. There is absolutely NO excuse for a player to put hands on you. If this is done in any way as a challenge to your decisions or authority as Dan says you should give a straight red for VC. I understand that a little push might not seem much in the way of "violence" but once one does it, they will all do it. The law (criminal as opposed to LOTG) defines such a touch as battery - that is to say the unlawful application of force. The law does not define how much force constitutes a battery, merely that force is applied. Rant over.

Total agree here
Could not have said it better myself

Sorry mate. I put Dave in the first draft and for some unknown reasons changed it to Dan!!
Must try harder.:oops:

So in the last minutes of the game, I sent off A's forward for violent conduct and spitting on opponent. Then, a team-mate of the sent off ran to me just to protest, and he - a little bit - pushed me after raising the red card. The push, to be honest, was not harmful, yet I showed him a second yellow card. It was adrenaline, and I had second thoughts about this yellow.. Should I had: A) Do nothing and listen to his protest. B) Show a straight red.

Your opinions?
If he pushed you at all, you should have given him a straight red card.

You should of stumbled a bit and fell to the floor like Paul Alcock and then sent the player off for VC.

I concur with he the above. Any type of contact/push and its red. Anything else he says is potentially ending up in a plain paper misconduct report.

That said, it's a difficult old thing to manage a situation and think clearly when your adrenaline kicks in, especially if your not sure if it is going to get violent. You got through it, you didn't get assaulted and better still you havent reacted and done something which would get you in trouble (like push him back). Live and learn.

Supermonkey, at the end you talked about something which could get me in trouble, and I am not even an official referee ;p - If you read my introduction thread you'll find that I only referee street football :D

In that case feel free to punch people!

Kidding of course. :) however, get yourself qualified as an official referee!

I am fully qualified but in my city, or generally in Morocco, referee courses are TERRIBLE. If somehow i get to be in an European country then I will definitely sign up. Lets just hope I'm not too old when doing that because I dont want to quit or retire early. But hey! Im a referee in a street premier league where everyone makes his own kit and referees twice a day. $:-P

Advice we were given at a ref society meeting was to abandon a game after any physical contact like this, no matter how minor. Once you've shown him the straight red card obviously ;).

Advice we were given at a ref society meeting was to abandon a game after any physical contact like this, no matter how minor. Once you've shown him the straight red card obviously ;).

But why? If an abandonment should take place only when your physical safety or the physical safety of the players is in question, and the player who has been the cause of that question has been removed, surely your safety is no longer in question?

But why? If an abandonment should take place only when your physical safety or the physical safety of the players is in question, and the player who has been the cause of that question has been removed, surely your safety is no longer in question?
The majority of our referees look after games which take place in public places, without any means of proper exclusion, without any security guards, without any form of protection. Once assaulted, the only people who are going to look after them are the other players and/or club officials or the referee themselves. If a player has gone to extreme of assaulting referee, the proper course of action is to abandon that game as it cannot be guaranteed that their mental processes will be as balanced as a referee who has not been assaulted. This may impact on decision making and match control. It is considered better practice to abandon, so the referee is no longer exposed to that situation and that the player is dealt with appropriately by the football authorities.

The majority of our referees look after games which take place in public places, without any means of proper exclusion, without any security guards, without any form of protection. Once assaulted, the only people who are going to look after them are the other players and/or club officials or the referee themselves. If a player has gone to extreme of assaulting referee, the proper course of action is to abandon that game as it cannot be guaranteed that their mental processes will be as balanced as a referee who has not been assaulted. This may impact on decision making and match control. It is considered better practice to abandon, so the referee is no longer exposed to that situation and that the player is dealt with appropriately by the football authorities.

Fair enough. I suppose I am more used to refereeing in situations where we do have that kind of protection. Also, those kinds of violent outbreaks are FAR less common in Canada. I've had one instance in my eight years of refereeing.

Back