A&H

Where is the IFK for a passback

farrell

Is it where the ball is picked up or where the pass is from?

I gave one the other day and defending team were saying one thing and attacking another. I've always thought it was were the keeper picks it up but am I wrong?

The Referee Store
Where the GK picks it up. Also whilst there is nothing in the laws to prevent it being a quick free kick generally I would advise that you be 'very ceremonial ' to assist your match control.

Yeah I had one today. Think of it this way, a player could pass it from the halfway line to his goalie he picks it up, IFK is obviously going to be in the box where the GK picked it up, not at the half way line. And as Declan said.....always make sure you do the ceremonial.....or you will lose match control. Never let a player take it quick.

nothing in law saying a defender cant pass it back to his keeper but there is against the keeper picking it up, theres the incident, there shall be the sanction!

Although if a player uses a deliberate trick to circumvent the law then the IDFK is from where the trick was used.

Although if a player uses a deliberate trick to circumvent the law then the IDFK is from where the trick was used.
Are you sure that's right, the only reason I ask is take this scenario:
A player has the ball at his feet and then flicks it up to his head and heads it back to the keeper and the keeper picks it up. As steve C said the offence is when the keeper picks the ball up, not the original pass so I can't see why you would take an IDFK from the point where the player heads it because in theory he has done nothing wrong?

The player committed an offence in circumventing the law, (before the keeper touched the ball) consequently that is where the free kick is taken from

Are you sure that's right, the only reason I ask is take this scenario:
A player has the ball at his feet and then flicks it up to his head and heads it back to the keeper and the keeper picks it up. As steve C said the offence is when the keeper picks the ball up, not the original pass so I can't see why you would take an IDFK from the point where the player heads it because in theory he has done nothing wrong?

100% sure. Law says (P123):
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick.

The thing that I hadn't remembered was that the goalkeeper doesn't even need to touch the ball for this to be called! Not sure if I would be brave enough to caution for a flick-up and header where the keeper then just boots the ball away...

100% sure. Law says (P123):
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick.

The thing that I hadn't remembered was that the goalkeeper doesn't even need to touch the ball for this to be called! Not sure if I would be brave enough to caution for a flick-up and header where the keeper then just boots the ball away...
Ok, thanks for the clarification, it makes sense I suppose but on the other hand it doesn't. Oh well, you learn something new every day :)

Back