A&H

Why go for promotion?

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Ok first off I'm not trying to stir a hornets nest, or anything like that. And I'll clarify my position in the sense that I'm personally not motivated by going for promotion to higher level.

But I'm interested to know what are people's reasons for doing it personally. Also logistically, do you start getting "better" games to officiate or does that only happen once you really start moving through the levels?

The Referee Store
I've gone 7-6 and 6-5 in Essex in the last 2 seasons

I did it to:
  • improve from being Assessed
  • challenge myself by working on better* appointments [*hate that word!]
  • go out as a team of 3 more (and learn this way)
  • be appointed to a wider range of games (e.g. FA comps, Prem Academy) that I didn't get as a 7

Better quality of games allocated - faster and higher skill levels on the players. Bit of a generalisation maybe, but true in my case.

Feedback from assessments - valuable in building on experience gained.

Cup appointments.

Much the same as alex71.

It's a challenge to referee. It's a slightly different challenge with higher level games. The expectations on the ref are higher, the required technical and physical skills are greater.

That is not to say these skills aren't also present with those not wishing to Advance. I'm not taking anything away from those who have no desire to look at promotion. There are some real heroes who get out there and give it their all every game and are happy with the satisfaction that brings without the need to jump through the promotion hoops.

Plenty of room for both points of view.

Better quality of games allocated - faster and higher skill levels on the players. Bit of a generalisation maybe, but true in my case.

Id argue the opposite. I mainly refereed Reserves Div3, but have since moved all the way up to 'Prem' as well as some next league up stuff (including cups, finals etc).

I find the exact same caliber of football (sometimes they'll have one of two shining players), but everyone has the same mouth on them, everyone has the same level of respect for the officials and everyone of them has the same bad attitude when receiving cards.

Im in the same boat as @DaveMac, I thought they would be more professional and the games would be more enjoyable - but nothing ive seen suggest that.

Im personally going to push for promotion, just so I can iron out my own creases and perhaps not get as much ear ache from players as I do (whens its genuinely my fault).

Just want to improve myself, because I know, even from televised top flight football, you're never *not* going to get anything but unprofessional foul mouthed wipes giving you grief.

Thats why im paid to be there and they're (at my level) not.

You find the same quality of football in your top divison as to your reserve divison 3?

What kind of broken league do you referee in?

Why enter a marathon if you're not going to win - London / Berlin / New York?

Why enter a trialthlon if you can't get onto the Podium?

Why does Jenson still have a contract in F1 after 15 years with only one title, 18 wins and 50 podiums from 266 starts? (NB in footbaling terms that's one win every 13 games and a draw every 9 games, so 104 points from 266 games, average of P10, W1, D2, L7)

Why go for an interview if you only "think" you might get the job?

Why did one caveman (sorry, probs was a male though) want to, or thneven go over that hill to the unknown? If it wasn't for said caveman we'd still be playing with sticks.

My natural ambition prevents me from wishing to stand still, I am driven to do as well as I can but I must say some recent events have made me reassess my view on refereeing, I believe it's called being disillusioned. Currently I think I'd be happy to get to 5, maybe 4 then after a few years get my assessors course done and try to offer the new guys proper coached assessments rather than some of the tripe that I've been witness to in recent years.

I used to be in the same boat @DaveMac. I referee primarily because I enjoy it, and I've always feared that by trying to move up the ladder that I would lose that.

My perspective has changed recently though; I feel like I need a new challenge. I'm just going to keep enjoying it, get into OA and see where it takes me.

Why go for an interview if you only "think" you might get the job?

I go for interviews all the time - even though im happy in my current role.

Its just;
A) Nice to get interview experience and keep your 'game' sharp
B) Flattering to get an offer... then turn it down (or in a couple of instances in my life, they have come back with a 'ridiculous' offer that ive had to accept)

Same as Matthew above, I have a worry that the higher you climb, the more 'professional' it will become and Ill lose the enjoyment.

Not saying im not professional - im 100% professional in all my games regardless of age/standards. But I meant the whole game in general.

You wont be able to laugh stuff away (that a lot of people suggest on this forum) with a cheeky wink and camaraderie with the players...

I just feel it would just be so wooden. Id be like the "Rules Robot". No passion, no enthusiasm.

PS Im also told that the difference between Div 3 and Prem is £2 a game... So theres really not a lot of financial benefit to push.

If im getting local games a stones throw away (which im not - I drive for MILES every weekend!) then I can imagine people would happy stay at lower levels for quick/local games.

Our County F.A. encourages all newly qualified referees to have a go at the promotion scheme from 7-6 - which I think is sensible encouragement on their part

I was happy to do that and, apart from getting a job that involves shifts that makes me less available for games, 28 games by this stage last season, only 14 so far this season, i'm happy that i've done it

no plans to go from 6-5, should i get my 7-6, however.

Back