A&H

Why Would Anyone Want To Be A Football Referee?

The Referee Store
Interesting piece that.

But just when it had chance to make the main man a hero.....it kind of withered out into nothing??

Anyway, what you doing reading Esquire, isn't that a titty mag?

Why indeed?

Hard as it might be for some to understand I do it for a love of the game and because I actually enjoy it.

If anybody asks me this I tend to give the same stock answer. It's the challenge of managing the game and the reward and satisfaction when you get it right.

As much as we moan about the comments from players, it makes the victory when you get it spot on even sweeter.

Why would anyone want to be a ref?

cos it provides a handy loss maker for my tax return. All those drinks, and miles, and laundry / dry cleaning bills etc

I'd be paying Tax if I didn't ref!

fantastic read!

@Padfoot - I presume because they got 3 very different interviews, a guy that was doing his course and the thoughts of why would you want to get started? a girl who was involved and had the ambition to go to the top and then Mr Webb himself, the big cheese who has experienced (literally) it all!

but why ... why be a ref? I started like most really, I wasn't good enough to play - had the desire and passion for the game (being a west ham season ticket holder proves the passion! lol)

do I enjoy it? during the game? no ... sometimes I despise it, but once the games over I want to be back out for another!

Back