A&H

Wolves vs Bournemouth

Gabriel

Deliberately held off on this one so far. Thoughts?
I thought the first goal should have stood, there was minimal contact and no appeal whatsoever from Bournemouth. Incredibly harsh.
Red card was the right decision imho. Struggle to understand why there was much deliberation.

The Referee Store
Suspect most, myself included, haven't seen it. Wasn't on UK TV, and MoTD was on far too late for anyone having to get up for work.

Saw a clip of the disallowed goal on Twitter earlier. It must have taken me at least a dozen watches of it to see the supposed foul - it's never a foul for me.

Suspect most, myself included, haven't seen it. Wasn't on UK TV, and MoTD was on far too late for anyone having to get up for work.
I was aware of this but given it was PL, there were sky sports highlights which showed both incidents and MOTD will have it. I was more aiming it at people who have seen it/do see it.

I was aware of this but given it was PL, there were sky sports highlights which showed both incidents and MOTD will have it. I was more aiming it at people who have seen it/do see it.
Certainly not mandatory, but when the game hasn't been on TV it would be useful to post a link to the highlights with the time of the incident(s). Whilst I would love to watch football highlights whilst I should be working I'm not sure that would really be welcomed by my management 😂

This is where challenges would work well imo.

There's no appeal and no expectation of a foul from anyone on the pitch. A foul is a complete surprise to everyone.

Certainly not mandatory, but when the game hasn't been on TV it would be useful to post a link to the highlights with the time of the incident(s). Whilst I would love to watch football highlights whilst I should be working I'm not sure that would really be welcomed by my management 😂
Incidents 1 & 2 from 1:35
Incident 3 (if interested) is the rest of the video.
not sure that would really be welcomed by my management 😂
🤣 doesn't normally go down too well with teachers either if you get caught during breaks!

I hear people suggesting challenge type systems for football, yet I don't believe it would work or would benefit the game positively. I suspect teams would abuse it, especially late in the game if they still had their allowed reviews available to gain an advantage, slow down a game and it would probably encourage even more dissent than exists in the game already. Would be a waste of time anyway when VAR is currently backing virtually every onfield decision, even the most blatantly clear and obvious errors!

Maybe law makers/appliers should introduce/enforce mandatory cards for anyone who approaches a referee when a penalty has been given/during a VAR review, would soon put a stop to the likes of Maguire and Fernandes getting in the referees ear wanting to dispute every single penalty decision, even the most blatantly obvious ones.

Incidents 1 & 2 from 1:35
Incident 3 (if interested) is the rest of the video.

🤣 doesn't normally go down too well with teachers either if you get caught during breaks!
Thanks, certainly agree that the supposed foul in the build up was nowhere near a clear and obvious error. I had to watch it three times before I could even see it.

Red card and disallowed goal for offside correct though.

I hear people suggesting challenge type systems for football, yet I don't believe it would work or would benefit the game positively. I suspect teams would abuse it, especially late in the game if they still had their allowed reviews available to gain an advantage, slow down a game and it would probably encourage even more dissent than exists in the game already. Would be a waste of time anyway when VAR is currently backing virtually every onfield decision, even the most blatantly clear and obvious errors!

Maybe law makers/appliers should introduce/enforce mandatory cards for anyone who approaches a referee when a penalty has been given/during a VAR review, would soon put a stop to the likes of Maguire and Fernandes getting in the referees ear wanting to dispute every single penalty decision, even the most blatantly obvious ones.
I agree that I don't think it would work for a multitude of reasons, including lack of knowledge of the laws by some players. For example, if they were challenging the decision to award a YC rather than a RC, they would probably say something along the lines of "ref that's reckless! It's a red!!!!". How would the officials possibly be able to respond to that without being confronted by half the team just because the players don't know the rules?

Thanks, certainly agree that the supposed foul in the build up was nowhere near a clear and obvious error. I had to watch it three times before I could even see it.

Red card and disallowed goal for offside correct though.
Agree with everything there. I don't normally like tight offsides because I don't think that was what the offside law was introduced for but as the AR spotted it rather than the VAR, I have no issue.

Agree with everything there. I don't normally like tight offsides because I don't think that was what the offside law was introduced for but as the AR spotted it rather than the VAR, I have no issue.
They will be even tighter next season. The current system has a margin of error in favour in favour of the attacker, meaning if the lines overlap it is deemed to be onside. With semi-automated offside there is no such margin, it the attacker is 0.01mm offside it will be given as offside.

They will be even tighter next season. The current system has a margin of error in favour in favour of the attacker, meaning if the lines overlap it is deemed to be onside. With semi-automated offside there is no such margin, it the attacker is 0.01mm offside it will be given as offside.
I like SAOT technology. I should have phrased myself more clearly in that I don't like the fact it takes several minutes sometimes for person to draw lines which may not be accurate because the officials are only human. When it is semi-automated, it is more black and white and there is no reason to disagree.

I like SAOT technology. I should have phrased myself more clearly in that I don't like the fact it takes several minutes sometimes for person to draw lines which may not be accurate because the officials are only human. When it is semi-automated, it is more black and white and there is no reason to disagree.

Oh people will complain though when they see a stud or a nose offside especially when we keep seeing people say the benefit should go to the striker(why?).

And people will still suspect it's not fully accurate so no doubt.

On a side note, good too see Attwell going straight red right away, none of this safe yellow nonsense.

This is easily resolved by implementing relevant policies.

Only certain situations/incidents can be challenged; similar to VAR

They must be challenged within a set amount of time/phase of play

Lose your appeal, lose a challenge. Clubs are then gambling if they try and challenge something for the sake of it.

Gives clubs an element of responsibility. If a clanger is missed by the officials and also the clubs, or the clubs had previously wasted their challenges, then they can't really blame the officials solely.

Just watched the video. Embarrassingly poor from the VAR getting involved there.

Nice to see a referee take charge on SFP and not play it safe!

On a side note, good too see Attwell going straight red right away, none of this safe yellow nonsense
It was refreshing, although I can only imagine it might have come from one of the other officials because it took him about 30 seconds to make the decision at the time.

The other reason many wouldn't have seen it is that GO took the decision uncharacteristically well. :hmmm:

It was refreshing, although I can only imagine it might have come from one of the other officials because it took him about 30 seconds to make the decision at the time.
Was going to say the same... Attwell looked like he froze in the moment and must've taken information from AR or 4th.

Back