A&H

Yellow card incident

Kentish Ref

Level 7 Referee
Hi there,

Something in my game today a very random thing, attacker on the wing cuts inside, simultaneous 2 defenders both mistime their tackles and one take the left leg one takes the right. Either on their own definitely a caution. As they happened simultaneously and not one player therefore committed the foul I cautioned both defenders?

Did it instinctively today and cautioned both was only after the game that I thought that's an interesting one should i have dealt with it differently?

Your comments please ...

The Referee Store
Both very reckless challenges and if one of them alone had put in the tackle I would have been cautioning that player. it was only as both players took a leg out at the same time that I am just checking I was right to caution both

I couldn't until it happened today, both identical tackles simultaneously from both sides of the player, both players accepted caution with no fuss so thought it should be correct

Sounds like you done the right thing, must say I'd love to see a video of this as sounds hilarious! I'm imagining like mirror image tackling! Even funnier in my mind I'm imagining the two tacklers to be identical twins! Simple things please simple minds.

Are you not only supposed to punish the most serious offence if two offences happen simultaneously??

Just throwing a spanner in the works...

Ah, but when they're both the same seriousness...

So, @CallumRushton13 let's throw a hypothetical out there.

Player A recklessly tackles an opponent. Simultaneously Player B commits what is clearly serious foul play against the same opponent.

In either case, this is definitely going to be a DFK for the opponent's team. Would you only send off player B, or would you also caution player A? If you're only punishing the most serious offence, then player A got away with one.

The 'punish the more serious' does, IMO, only relate to the restart.

It's really to prevent, say, an IDK if a player deliberately handles the ball after taking a free kick before anybody else touches it. But it also means that if a player comes flying in with a studs up challenge that hits the opponent - while it's simultaneously PIADM and kicks an opponent, this ensures it results in a DFK, not IFK. It's not to say that one player can get away with misconduct.

Back