A&H

ADVICE for cards at youth football

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I’m a fairly new referee and was wondering about carding youth players. As a player, I very rarely saw yellow cards (up to around u17/18) and only saw one red which was after a fight.

My first (and only so far, as I’ve only done about 5 games) booking came at an u15 friendly for dissent and I wish I gave more cards earlier in the game, but didn’t, as I had never carded anyone before and it was a friendly so I thought (wrongly) I’d just warn players.

Before my season starts, I was hoping for advice on what age do you think cards should be given in the same way they’re given at open age? I’m not asking about dissent, as I know my own limits, but what about bad challenges and DOGSO, etc...

The Referee Store
I’m a fairly new referee and was wondering about carding youth players. As a player, I very rarely saw yellow cards (up to around u17/18) and only saw one red which was after a fight.

My first (and only so far, as I’ve only done about 5 games) booking came at an u15 friendly for dissent and I wish I gave more cards earlier in the game, but didn’t, as I had never carded anyone before and it was a friendly so I thought (wrongly) I’d just warn players.

Before my season starts, I was hoping for advice on what age do you think cards should be given in the same way they’re given at open age? I’m not asking about dissent, as I know my own limits, but what about bad challenges and DOGSO, etc...

If am appointed to referee a 11-a-side competitve game, then a cards a card, no allowance made for age.
As per the lotg btw....the laws tell you what differences are made for what ages, ball size, duration etc....

All ages. At lower end/age of youth its mostly careless anyway, you'll do well to find dirty challenges. Worst is likely deliverate tripping to stop a promising attack.

At the end of the day a caution is a caution, the age of the player is not relevant to the decision making process

Mini soccer try to manage it. 7 aside try to coach for engagement. It would be very rare to give a caution. or red card a player. I think for ofinabus, racism, and punching/biting/spitting and red can be used but instances for this are rare.
9 aside. This is the age which causes the most discussion. Obviously all the offences mentioned before still stand. I think a yellow card and red cards need to be shown. 12 and 13 year olds do know the game but I do think for tackles you need to take in ability and conditions.At 11 aside ref it as you would adults. Cards when cards are due. Red cards for DOGSO, red for OFFINABUS, yellows for reckless,reds for SFP. No mercy. You will hear you can't book him ref its kids football. We can and should.

Thanks guys. It’s only because I’ve been told by referees that at ages around u13 and below, instead of carding, I should have a word with the manager about taking the player off, which I don’t really like the idea of.

Mini soccer try to manage it. 7 aside try to coach for engagement. It would be very rare to give a caution. or red card a player. I think for ofinabus, racism, and punching/biting/spitting and red can be used but instances for this are rare.
9 aside. This is the age which causes the most discussion. Obviously all the offences mentioned before still stand. I think a yellow card and red cards need to be shown. 12 and 13 year olds do know the game but I do think for tackles you need to take in ability and conditions.At 11 aside ref it as you would adults. Cards when cards are due. Red cards for DOGSO, red for OFFINABUS, yellows for reckless,reds for SFP. No mercy. You will hear you can't book him ref its kids football. We can and should.
I agree. I think that at 9 a side players know the rules and should get the correct consequences (taking into account the intentions and ability like you said)

Here's my breakdown from my first full season

1535558934646.png

Although I think the numbers are anomalous, because I may have had it easy in my OA games, my card count was similar between OA/Youth
Most of my youth games were 15s/16s, but i did a minority of younger games and some U18s
I recall issuing 2 or 3 cards to U14s

Thanks guys. It’s only because I’ve been told by referees that at ages around u13 and below, instead of carding, I should have a word with the manager about taking the player off, which I don’t really like the idea of.
When I have shown a card to a young player, i've also spoken with the manager at half time to emphasize that it's important part of the boy's education and development. This approach has been well met

View attachment 2383

Although I think the numbers are anomalous, because I may have had it easy in my OA games, my card count was similar between OA/Youth
Most of my youth games were 15s/16s, but i did a minority of younger games and some U18s
Tame that BC.... ;)

View attachment 2383

this is great help thank you. Can’t believe you had so little penalties, in my only 5 games I’ve had about 5 (easy handballs and trips) but then a few games were younger than 14s. I’m gonna have to make a sheet like this, looks very good

When I have shown a card to a young player, i've also spoken with the manager at half time to emphasize that it's important part of the boy's education and development. This approach has been well met
That’s a good idea. I’ll use this method if I dish any out!

They know the rules, the coaches know the rules why do you need to justify a shirt pull is a shirt pull so a yellow comes out. Can not not see what is their to be gained for education or development? Give the card put it through move on. But you will find that at younger ages they do not know how the booking procedure happens. They just expect to be flashed a card like what happens on TV.

Tame that BC.... ;)
Players are generally scared of my roar!
Here's me giving it the biggun on the forum regarding Handballs, yet I obviously don't give many
Seriously, I know my numbers are low for OA in particular. I'm not entirely sure why. I don't feel that I've missed any potential dismissals for example. I'm expecting more challenging games this year, so it's probably just a first season thing

They know the rules, the coaches know the rules why do you need to justify a shirt pull is a shirt pull so a yellow comes out. Can not not see what is their to be gained for education or development? Give the card put it through move on. But you will find that at younger ages they do not know how the booking procedure happens. They just expect to be flashed a card like what happens on TV.
Thank you again! I’m (in)patiently waiting for my first full sided game for 3 months as I haven’t been able to get any friendlies, so trying to get as much advice and preparation as I can get before my season starts...

this is great help thank you. Can’t believe you had so little penalties, in my only 5 games I’ve had about 5 (easy handballs and trips) but then a few games were younger than 14s. I’m gonna have to make a sheet like this, looks very good
Again, probably just an anomoly
I would say, I don't award penalties based on the 'balance of probabilities' (i.e. a guess). I'm not choking, I just don't think I've had many to give!

Again, probably just an anomoly
I would say, I don't award penalties based on the 'balance of probabilities' (i.e. a guess). I'm not choking, I just don't think I've had many to give!
For sure. To be honest I think I’ve had a strangely high amount of penalties although they’ve all been obvious

If you think it is a penalty give it. I gave a nailed on pen which the defending team did not agree with but the attacking team did. I thought it was nailed on so I gave it.

If you think it is a penalty give it. I gave a nailed on pen which the defending team did not agree with but the attacking team did. I thought it was nailed on so I gave it.
Oh yeah, definitely. I think I’ve had to give a penalty in every game so far😂 In terms of identifying fouls and misconduct, I know what to do, I was just asking about bookings and reds

So you're sending off a 9 year old keeper who brings down a striker when through on goal ?

As stated in a previous post no. At mini soccer you manage things, you coach for engagement and encourage. You explain decisions as they are still learning. In fact I have seen goalkeepers disolve into tears when giving away a penalty.

Back