A&H

ADVICE for cards at youth football

The Referee Store
So you're sending off a 9 year old keeper who brings down a striker when through on goal ?

Do the lotg say. "Dogso does not apply to 9yo".
The lotg tell you what allowances to make

If i could avoid sending the kid off, I would, but if I had to send him off, I would do so without losing any sleep.

If i could avoid sending the kid off, I would, but if I had to send him off, I would do so without losing any sleep.

What if his team were losing 8-0 at the time ?

I think i know the answer to this.

What if his team were losing 8-0 at the time ?

I think i the answer to this.

Do the lotg make allowance for the score?
What if it was vc and he punched someone?
Our simple role as ref is to carry out what the good book asks
Not pick and choose what parts to follow

If a team was 8-0 down and I felt a dismissal was the correct course of action then yes, dismissal it is. Why on earth would you not send someone off who has committed a red card offence

So common sense never comes into it, its the LOTG 100% all day every day ?

For me, we dont get to pick and choose who to punish and for what

If you wish to leave a player on your park who committs a red card offence, thats your call.

Also, the common sense notion is meant for instances which are not already covered in the good book...why should I turn up the week after you and do things correctly and risk pelters because you the week before did what you thought was morally right instead of simply following the universal bible?

Do the lotg make allowance for the score?
So, I'm intrigued as to how 'hard core' you are regarding the above ...

Typicall examples of where a 'blind eye' is turned to the good book

1) GK taking 7-10 seconds to release the ball
2) Players taking throw ins from the wrong spot, especially when that wrong spot is behind rather than in front of the correct one
3) Minor equipment infringements at grass roots level .. wrong colour tape on socks as example

On all the above, the LOTG are very clear and specific about the correct course of action ... do you (or anyone else for that matter) apply these religiously?

So, I'm intrigued as to how 'hard core' you are regarding the above ...

Typicall examples of where a 'blind eye' is turned to the good book

1) GK taking 7-10 seconds to release the ball
2) Players taking throw ins from the wrong spot, especially when that wrong spot is behind rather than in front of the correct one
3) Minor equipment infringements at grass roots level .. wrong colour tape on socks as example

On all the above, the LOTG are very clear and specific about the correct course of action ... do you (or anyone else for that matter) apply these religiously?

You can write a huge list of calls which involve a degree of tolerance, none of the examples listed as red card offences however and KMI, which, can have a huge effect on the result. Player hit in face, blood gushing out him/knocked out cold... let not red card for vc cos he is 10, is a different can on tuna to a piece of tape on a technical misfortune.

Page 11 of the LOTG makes it clear about the spirit of the book itself. Might just be how i read it, but, that means, if someone commits something serious enough that a red card could be a considered, then my role is to do so, as opposed to something which as referee does not influence the "fairness" of the game. If I allow both gk to take 7.6 secs, thats fair. If I allow both sets of players not to take the throw EXACT where it should be, that's fair. To allow a person guilty of a red card offence to remain on the park, I (and it might just be me), do not deem that as fair.

@Ciley Myrus , so based on your subsequent reply, what you meant to say originally was "Our simple role as a referee is to carry out what the good book asks when it comes to KMIs and red card offences. Then to pick and choose which other parts to follow". :)
Reason I labour the point is that it's very easy to make refereeing sound very simple and black & white .. whereas the reality is inevitably shades of grey where tolerance levels and perspectives vary from level to level and even between differing regions / countries.

@Ciley Myrus , so based on your subsequent reply, what you meant to say originally was "Our simple role as a referee is to carry out what the good book asks when it comes to KMIs and red card offences. Then to pick and choose which other parts to follow". :)
Reason I labour the point is that it's very easy to make refereeing sound very simple and black & white .. whereas the reality is inevitably shades of grey where tolerance levels and perspectives vary from level to level and even between differing regions / countries.

No, tape on a sock has nothing to do with a match official ensuring fairness....
Tape on sock, fair?

or ignoring a DOGSO opportunity on the basis the player is in tears? Fair? Yes, there can be someones tolerance over tape sock, but, how tolerant can one be of a DOGSO?

Also, the common sense notion is meant for instances which are not already covered in the good book...why should I turn up the week after you and do things correctly and risk pelters because you the week before did what you thought was morally right instead of simply following the universal bible?
Disagree with this - the example the good book gives regarding spirit of the game is explicitly that you can ignore the law when it comes to corner flags.

But in general, I agree with the majority here - 11v11 and the LOTG are to be applied in full. Below that, stretch you tolerance further for PI and for what counts as careless, but if you need to show red for something awful, you still show red. And I applaud any ref who wants to do his part in nipping dissent in the bud at low age group football.

Disagree with this - the example the good book gives regarding spirit of the game is explicitly that you can ignore the law when it comes to corner flags.

Yes no issues with this at all.
Not playing with corner flags though is again nothing to do with allowing a player who commits a red card offence to stay on the pitch in the name of common sense

...but in mini-soccer 5-a-side matches ,for say 7 year olds, wouldn't there be several DOGSO's in every match as the kids are constantly one on one with the keeper ?

Back