A&H

Back Pass rule, when can the keeper pick up the ball

Prachtig

Level 7 Referee
I thought I had seen a change in the Laws that allowed the keeper to pick the ball up if he has mis-controlled a deliberate passback. I have searched the laws and cannot find it, is this a Law that has since been rescinded, or did I imagine this?

A&H International
If the keeper attempts to kick it but shanks it/miskicks it (has to be unintentionally) then they can pick it up. I wouldn't say a miscontrol falls into this category.
Thanks for confirming, that is exactly what I meant. (miscontrol was the wrong word). It was a shanked kick by the keeper.

Last edited:
Page 100

• touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
• it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
• receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

Any foot contact with the ball is considered a kick. That makes the part about "to release into play" very important here. Just a miskick is not enough as he may have been attempting to 'kick it' to control it for himself.

Thanks for confirming, that is exactly what I meant. (miscontrol was the wrong word). It was a shanked kick by the keeper.
Does anyone know where this is mentioned in the Laws? I would like to see the correct wording. It also looks to me that this could be down to interpretation, a bit like deliberate handball. If the players are not aware of this rule then I am inclined to ignore it

Does anyone know where this is mentioned in the Laws? I would like to see the correct wording. It also looks to me that this could be down to interpretation, a bit like deliberate handball. If the players are not aware of this rule then I am inclined to ignore it
See post #4.
@bester has copied and pasted and even given you the page number

User bester has given you it

Attachments

• 8959A5AE-DF3E-4AFE-BF4B-E632906BD32A.png
    8959A5AE-DF3E-4AFE-BF4B-E632906BD32A.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
A very dangerous slippery slope. This won't be the only law players may not be aware of. There will be a lot more.

It's law 12.2.
I know you are right, and in most cases, I would agree where the law is absolutely clear. 12.2 makes it look like a keeper can swing his leg over the top of a back pass and then pick it up. He could then claim he attempted to kick it into play, also makes me wonder why pro keepers don't do this.

User bester has given you it
I have seen that thank you. I was just hoping that it was less ambiguous.

I know you are right, and in most cases, I would agree where the law is absolutely clear. 12.2 makes it look like a keeper can swing his leg over the top of a back pass and then pick it up. He could then claim he attempted to kick it into play, also makes me wonder why pro keepers don't do this.
As a referee it would be your job to judge this and apply the law correctly. Allow me to make an analogy to handball. It's one of the most debated laws. There are many incidents where differ in opinion if it is deliberate. That means the law is not absolutely clear either. Yet you don't call it handball everytime the ball touches a hand. You judge what is deliberate and only call those. Similarly you should judge a genuine clearance in a 'backpass' and not call an offence if keeper touches it after. Not doing so would just make it harder for next week's ref who applies the law correctly.

I don't for a second care what players "claim" they did or tried to do. That's not a relevant defence for any other offence in the book, why would you suddenly start to pay attention to that here?

It's on you to judge that intent, so for starters I would be looking for a clear reason for them not to have kicked it. Did they slip, or did they swing and the ball bobbled over their foot then they dived on it? OK, let it go. Did they swing their boot nowhere near the ball for no obvious reason? Or did they try a step-over to fool an attacker, then jump on the ball when it didn't have the desired effect? Then you should be penalising.

If it ever happens in your match, please do let this forum know. I've never seen it happen, and I cover 2-4 games every week.

As a referee it would be your job to judge this and apply the law correctly. Allow me to make an analogy to handball. It's one of the most debated laws. There are many incidents where differ in opinion if it is deliberate. That means the law is not absolutely clear either. Yet you don't call it handball everytime the ball touches a hand. You judge what is deliberate and only call those. Similarly you should judge a genuine clearance in a 'backpass' and not call an offence if keeper touches it after. Not doing so would just make it harder for next week's ref who applies the law correctly.
Understood, and thanks for taking the time to remind me. I shall continue to apply the law correctly and then educate the unwashed when they complain.
If it ever happens in your match, please do let this forum know. I've never seen it happen, and I cover 2-4 games every week.
I had this happen twice in the space of 10 minutes, the pitch was awful and the teams were U13. The first time the keeper panicked as his attempted clearance spun toward his goal, he cleared the ball off the line for a corner. I told him he was allowed to pick the ball up in that situation. 10 minutes later the same thing and this time he picks the ball up to a lot of abuse from the touchline (from both sets of coaches).

Page 100

• touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
• it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
• receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate
Thanks Bester,

Understood, and thanks for taking the time to remind me. I shall continue to apply the law correctly and then educate the unwashed when they complain.

I had this happen twice in the space of 10 minutes, the pitch was awful and the teams were U13. The first time the keeper panicked as his attempted clearance spun toward his goal, he cleared the ball off the line for a corner. I told him he was allowed to pick the ball up in that situation. 10 minutes later the same thing and this time he picks the ball up to a lot of abuse from the touchline (from both sets of coaches).

Seeing as you have raised the questions, its only right to point out, if you feel a responsibility to advise the gk " he can pick it up" thats also not the correct terms.
He may, use his hands.
Two very different things, so, if we are looking to clarify what he can or cannot do from this attempted clearance, its, " you may use your hands"

It's always in the opinion of the referee. So if you feel they genuinely made a hash of it you allow them to control with the hand. If you think they are doing as you describe in your posto Dont forget you also have deliberate trick to circumvent the law at your disposal too

The rarity is not the goalkeeper handling the ball when kicked to him by a team-mate, which happens frequently. The rarity is what you described originally, handling after a fluffed kick by the goalkeeper.

Also, as my mind likes to see bigger pictures, given only the ref in question was there at the time, like another poster said, I am yet to see this occurance, either observing or officiating, at numerous levels. Of course that does not mean it cannot happen twice in someone elses game
I would be thinking though, if this is happening, combined with " the pitch was awful", are we now in the ' farce " situation where we might not have a suitable pitch?
Whether that be through bumps or winds, if something obscure was happening, it can of course simply just be so. It also can be down to other factors,

Back