A&H

Back Pass rule, when can the keeper pick up the ball

Seeing as you have raised the questions, its only right to point out, if you feel a responsibility to advise the gk " he can pick it up" thats also not the correct terms.
He may, use his hands.
Two very different things, so, if we are looking to clarify what he can or cannot do from this attempted clearance, its, " you may use your hands"
So he cannot pick the ball up, or catch the ball if it is in the air? I am beginning to think I am not cut out to be a referee

A&H International
Also, as my mind likes to see bigger pictures, given only the ref in question was there at the time, like another poster said, I am yet to see this occurance, either observing or officiating, at numerous levels. Of course that does not mean it cannot happen twice in someone elses game
I would be thinking though, if this is happening, combined with " the pitch was awful", are we now in the ' farce " situation where we might not have a suitable pitch?
Whether that be through bumps or winds, if something obscure was happening, it can of course simply just be so. It also can be down to other factors,
I have also had a keeper's attempt at clearing the ball hit a defender and almost rebound into their own goal which the keeper saved with his hands. I guess I am just lucky or unlucky to have experienced this more than once.

So he cannot pick the ball up, or catch the ball if it is in the air? I am beginning to think I am not cut out to be a referee
He can pick it up if it is not deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate, and can handle it in those circumstances. If kicked to him by a team-mate deliberately he cannot touch the ball with hands or arms.

The point being made is that the law is about goal keeper "touching the ball with the hands". Picking the ball up is only one way the keeper can touch the ball with the hand. There are other ways the keeper can touch the ball with the hands which may or may not be an offence.

I think it best to steer clear from giving any guidance to players during the game, no matter the age or ability. We wouldn't advise a player they can pass the ball to the winger or they can head the ball, so why advise them they can use their hands.
It also avoids possible confusion where the player mishears and does something that gets them penalised.

I think it best to steer clear from giving any guidance to players during the game, no matter the age or ability. We wouldn't advise a player they can pass the ball to the winger or they can head the ball, so why advise them they can use their hands.
It also avoids possible confusion where the player mishears and does something that gets them penalised.
Advising a player to play the ball to a winger is different to Am I going to commit an offence or not.
If asked, I answer. If not then I don't say anything.

Advising a player to play the ball to a winger is different to Am I going to commit an offence or not.
If asked, I answer. If not then I don't say anything.

Exactly this, being proactive, thinking ahead, working with the players through the game, is nothing like, look at the free space left wing, kick it him

Hopefully nothing different to anybody else but I had a dropped ball yesterday, guy asked, " can I pass it back to the gk"
Alarm bells should ring ( schools u18), .
so being proactive, " of course, but he cant use his hands mind"

Back