A&H

"Calling the Captains in"

Graham Carter

I've often been advised, when the temperature of a game is rising, to 'call both captains over' to have a word. I noticed Anthony Taylor did it this weekend in the Liverpool v Everton game.

Question is, what do you actually say to them that will help your match control?

The Referee Store
For me, sometimes not an awful lot. Literally it's you need to sort out your teams lads or it's zero tolerance and names going in book / people are going to the line. I think the symbolism of it can send out a powerful message and certainly empowers you to go zero tolerance with card v talking to, 'orange' v red etc.

I really don't like calling both over at once - for me, it gives off the impression that you're struggling or feeling the pressure and have felt the need to take desperate measures to try and get control again.

What I will do is get the captain in after a foul (with the fouling player still there) and make it clear to the captain that I'm giving his entire team a final warning. Something like "OK captain, that's enough now - I'm giving your team a final warning for this occasion, the next time something like that happens, I'll be considering a card". You want to be firm, but without making a 100% definitive statement, so you've always got wiggle room if needed.

I think that's fine for when one team is going OTT. However for those games where both teams are going for it you can't pick out one team captain over another. Certainly not something I would do regularly at all though - depends on the captains as well; at times they're the captain because they're the biggest thug, sorry most competitive player, in the team.

I think that's fine for when one team is going OTT. However for those games where both teams are going for it you can't pick out one team captain over another. Certainly not something I would do regularly at all though - depends on the captains as well; at times they're the captain because they're the biggest thug, sorry most competitive player, in the team.
Simple solution there is to call one captain over when their guy fouls, then when the other team fouls 2 minutes later, call the other team captain over and give him the same speech prefaced by "I've told their captain this and now I'm giving you guys the same warning..."

If there's a mass con, sometimes you do need to get the captains togehter to explain the cards you gave. Although as you say, often they'll be the ones you send first!

Done it a few times like Nigel Owens did it.... I said something like ' I hope you have all brought your cheque books, if so then carry on, your going to make the County FA some Xmas party bubbly..... worked like a dreammmmm 4 more yellows!!!!:(

I have had to speak to both Captains only once and this was a couple of weeks back when the language of the players on my pitch was getting a little colourful.

What I did was I spoke to the home captain quickly when A team had scored and he appriciated that I took the time to explain about the choice of language. Then before the re-start I quickly spoke to the away captain and stated the same thing.

Both captains were brilliant with this, its all about finding the right time and having the good rappor with the captains as well

I really don't like calling both over at once - for me, it gives off the impression that you're struggling or feeling the pressure and have felt the need to take desperate measures to try and get control again.

I don't think it shows desperation to speak to both captains if you feel the incidents are coming from both sides. It's just a clear sign that you're dealing with both teams equally.

If you have a game where it's getting a bit nasty on both sides and you only speak to one captain, that gives the impression the other side has a free pass on the next one because you haven't warned them yet. I'd rather speak to both and then you're in a stronger position to deal with the next incident, regardless of who commits it.

Honesty is the best policy here. Just say "Gents, I've called you both in to give both teams time to calm down. I'm trying to take the heat out of the game but I need your help as well. As captains, you have a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of your teams, and we all want to play football here so I expect your help in that respect."

If you know the captains are sensible then you can be honest. If a captain is being a bit of an idiot, then pull him up on it. Let him know he should be setting an example to his team.

Ive only had to do it once, one team was getting on the home sides CAR quite a bit, i did hear the word cheat but couldnt identify who said it.

Called both captains over, mainly to emphasise that i wasnt getting at one team and my zero tolerance to any further abuse applied equally to both teams.

Both captains were helpful and understanding, had a word with their players and there were no more problems for the rest of the match.

I dont think it comes across as you not coping with the pressure, and if a player steps out of line and goes in the book or gets dismissed, then you can rightly stand there a tell the captain that you told him what would happen if he didnt get control of his team, and that this is on him.

After a good first half, within first 20 mins of the second half, i gave a free kick that led to a goal, a penalty that the home team strongly disagreed with and i pulled back an advantage after the offended player (having never fully recovered his balance for the) let off a half hearted shot.

Home team was very frustrated and were starting to whinge and complain about everything.

I called the their captain in and made it clear I was tired of the moaning and that they are gonna make the FA's Christmas party very happy with the fines as I was gonna caution anyone who moaned. Worked a treat. Not a peep out of anyone after that to the closing stages of the game. Result

Ok, so you give a pen in one box and you then realise you need both captains in, so, the captain of the "other" team happens to be the defending goalkeeper? So you call him 100 yards down the park to help you control a game, or send out a message to his team mates?
You will look like the weakest referee of all time. If you think you need a bit of help to manage certain players, talk to them, as adults, maybe during a stoppage in play "hey, do your team a favour, ask your number 8 just to settle down please", job done, simple, without drawing attention and without undermining your authority. Nevermind "captain", afterall, who are you going to look to help you when its the captain who is out of control?

Ok, so you give a pen in one box and you then realise you need both captains in, so, the captain of the "other" team happens to be the defending goalkeeper? So you call him 100 yards down the park to help you control a game, or send out a message to his team mates?
You will look like the weakest referee of all time.

Law 18.

Using the captains is part of the stepped approach. Of course you should only use it when appropriate and necessary, but the idea that asking the captain over, either individually or together if you need to, is a sign of 'weak' refereeing is just nonsense.

If you as referee need a players help to control something, then, I would question whether you are actually in control yourself. Did Michael Oliver not try it recently and it worked so well that within 30 seconds he was sending off a player (for a non cautionable offence) in a live match beamed to millions?

If you as referee need a players help to control something, then, I would question whether you are actually in control yourself. Did Michael Oliver not try it recently and it worked so well that within 30 seconds he was sending off a player (for a non cautionable offence) in a live match beamed to millions?
That's down to the stupidity of players rather than a failing of Michael Oliver (although some will disagree on this forum).

Being in control doesn't mean bossing everyone around yourself. The stepped approach, which is what referees are taught as best practice nowadays, includes using the captains as a specific step. The promotion criteria for level 5 includes the stepped approach it as something referees are observed on, if the opportunity presents itself.

It's a perfectly legitimate thing to do and can help your match control when applied appropriately.

the captain of the "other" team happens to be the defending goalkeeper?
It would be common practice to ask the goalkeeper at the coin toss to nominate an outfield player which the referee can communicate to in these situations.

Oliver issued a caution for a non cautionable offence.
I 100% agree the players were stupid
However, a quick read on Mark Halsey or Keith Hacketts blog on You are the Ref should sum this up
Both have achieved greater things as referees than I suppose, 99.99999% of the posts on here...however of course, what would they know.....

The whole post started with Antony Taylor and Liverpool v Everton. Did he not "miss" two red cards in the game
I would suggest the referee focusses on his own game, before worrying about the captains.
To have two players guilty of SFP still on the pitch in a game shown worldwide would be of far the more pressing issue.

Back