A&H

Cheat or not?

Boro Wen

Level 7 Referee
So today, I was refereeing an U7s game between reds and blues. Was a great end to end competitive game and I believe I had a good game. The Reds had a fast player who was great at drawing fouls as he was so quick. Basically half way through the second half, two players were battling for the ball, it was good to watch two players trying hard and both players where pulling each other's shirts but nothing to malicious, I couldn't of gave a free kick to either team but the Reds managed to come out with the ball and then the fast player knocked the ball past a blue player to which he swung his foot and caught the player. Then blues manager (away) team said to me after I blew for the free kick. '' ref, you've gave every 50/50 ball to the home team, every 50/50 has gone there way". Now what I want to know is, is this effectively calling me a cheat? I dealt with it accordingly and didn't react to the manager, I explained I couldn't have gave a free kick either way as both players were battling and the freekick was given for the swipe at the player bringing him down. He said " okay ref fair enough". What's people's thoughts on this??

The Referee Store
Any coach that can get excited about a young referee refereeing a bunch of 6 year olds isn't really worth even one minute of your attention mate.
All you should have said, was "Please stop criticising me or I'll have to report it, thank you". :)

Oh no I wasn't bothered by it, he was just passionate and didn't criticise me all game apart from this. I'm just wondering in other games when this has been said is this effectively calling the referee a cheat? As it is basically saying the referee is chosing sides?

Sound like nothing more than hot air and not worthy of a referee's time.

Managers will never be satisfied, regardless of the age of the players. Even if one side is committing 90% of the clear cut fouls, the manager of that team will probably still accuse you of being biased! :confused:

The losing team will always hate you. If it's a draw, both teams hate you. That's how it is.

A favour though. Please blow the whistle when you see a shirt being pulled. It is the only way they will learn, thanks.

Wouldn't worry about it. Everyone at a game of football will be viewing it through the rose tinted glasses which makes them view most situations (anything that is not 100% clear!) as being decisions which should favour their team. Decisional bias - its human nature, we all do it. For evidence of this, watch your favoured team playing and your passionate reaction will be one wanting any non-100% decision to be given to your team - that is just before your refereeing rational/logical brain kicks in and you see sense!

Of course, the manager could just have been trying to get in your ear to try and influence your future decisions :)

It's a club officials prerogative to do what they can for their club. Whether that's claiming for free kicks which aren't infringing the laws all the way to flagging offside when a player clearly isn't.

A good example, I was playing yesterday (I'm a striker) and was caught offside a few times by the oppositions CAR. Out of the three he called, I was offside for one. It's the one part of my game I've improved since last season, I now look across the line and gauge my run. He p****d me off quite about with his calls but I didn't say anything.

Later on in the second half, we were winning comfortably so I opted to come off and let one of the subs have some game time. I decided then to stand behind the CAR and watch... He flagged 4 times when our guys were onside. I told him what I though of his decisions and his reply was "I've Gotta give my lads a chance". It was at that point I walked away, it was either that or I'd pick him up, throw him in the hedge and do the line myself (I certainly wouldn't cheat).

You get these people in the game, they are loyal to their clubs at all ages and will do what they can to help their team to three points. It's not right at all, but it happens. You've just got to do what you can as a referee and be confident in your decisions. I don't even take any notice to the sidelines when I referee, I talk with the captains and communicate with the players but the sidelines just wind me up.

Later on in the second half, we were winning comfortably so I opted to come off and let one of the subs have some game time. I decided then to stand behind the CAR and watch... He flagged 4 times when our guys were onside. I told him what I though of his decisions and his reply was "I've Gotta give my lads a chance". It was at that point I walked away, it was either that or I'd pick him up, throw him in the hedge and do the line myself (I certainly wouldn't cheat).

This is not appropriate behaviour for a referee. You've deliberately put yourself in a conflict position with the CAR and potentially created a situation for the referee in the middle to deal with. What were you hoping to achieve?

I wasn't a referee... I was a player. Read the post properly :)

I don't wear my ref hat when I play, I don't wear my player hat when I ref. Not once did you hear me say "I'm a referee" etc like you hear players say sometimes.

This is not appropriate behaviour for a referee. You've deliberately put yourself in a conflict position with the CAR and potentially created a situation for the referee in the middle to deal with. What were you hoping to achieve?
If he had been there as a referee or acting in some way or some capacity where he was trying to use his authority as a referee to influence matters in the game I might agree with you. However, unless he has left something out, he was there purely as a player and did nothing other than make some relatively innocuous remarks to a CAR. It may not have been the wisest course of action given that it was never likely to do anything other than annoy both the CAR and himself but I don't really see a massive conflict of interest there.

It's a club officials prerogative to do what they can for their club. Whether that's claiming for free kicks which aren't infringing the laws all the way to flagging offside when a player clearly isn't.

A good example, I was playing yesterday (I'm a striker) and was caught offside a few times by the oppositions CAR. Out of the three he called, I was offside for one. It's the one part of my game I've improved since last season, I now look across the line and gauge my run. He p****d me off quite about with his calls but I didn't say anything.

You get these people in the game, they are loyal to their clubs at all ages and will do what they can to help their team to three points. It's not right at all, but it happens. You've just got to do what you can as a referee and be confident in your decisions. I don't even take any notice to the sidelines when I referee, I talk with the captains and communicate with the players but the sidelines just wind me up.

So, it's perfectly acceptable for club officials to cheat and wind their players up by disputing your decisions because they're doing it 'for the club'?

I wasn't a referee... I was a player. Read the post properly :)

I don't wear my ref hat when I play, I don't wear my player hat when I ref. Not once did you hear me say "I'm a referee" etc like you hear players say sometimes.

Even when playing you are still a referee, and your actions reflect on your position as a duly appointed representative of your CFA. In this case, poorly.

Another reason why playing and refereeing do not mix.

@Padfoot, it's like you didn't bother to read the guys posts properly. @DB said "it's not right at all" but was highlighting a personal experience to support the point he was making. :rolleyes:

As for your second point, @DB highlighted to a CAR that he was a cheat, which the CAR then confirmed with an explanation of why he was cheating. What's he done wrong there exactly? :rolleyes:

Would appear you are simply trolling mate.

Reactions: DB
Just to make a point... When I play, I am not a referee. I do not let the fact known to anyone that I referee, some know me so they obviously are aware of that fact. But I do not step on the field to play football and act/think like a referee. That is the appointed referees job, not mine. I certainly wouldn't say/act in a manner that undermines the referee. Nor would I make it know to him that Im a qualified ref. That's not my place as a player.

For 70 minutes I endured a linesman who was clearly cheating. That gets my back up. We were winning comfortably and I allowed my teammates on the bench to have a game by coming off. The position I was stood in (watching from the sidelines with an FA assessor and the guy that actually taught me on the referee course), I could see the CAR was making the wrong calls. My comments were along the lines of "He wasn't offside and you know it, If you kept up with the last defender you would get a better view and you have got to be kidding me". Not once did I call him a cheat or say " I'm a referee and you are wrong" etc. I've got more respect for myself and the appointed referees than to say and act in that manner. As you are well aware, technical areas are situated in a position close to the CAR's, so it wasn't as if I was following him and goading him. That's not my style.

@Padfoot the point of my post was to show the thread author that club officials do what they feel they have to do, say what they have to say etc. I used yesterday as an example because it was recent and fresh in my head. Your comments are frustrating and have no relevance, "playing and refereeing don't mix". Yes they do, I believe that playing has made me a much better referee. I know you post just to get a reaction out of people, and 9 times out of 10 you succeed in getting that reaction. I just wish you'd stop and think about what you say because you come across alot better if you did.

For 70 minutes I endured a linesman who was cheating. That gets my back up. We were winning comfortably and I allowed my teammates to have a game by coming off. The position I was stood in (watching from the sidelines with an FA assessor and the guy that actually taught me on the referee course), I could see the CAR was making the wrong calls. My comments were along the lines of "He wasn't offside and you know it, If you kept up with the last defender you would get a better view and you have got to be kidding me". Not once did I call him a cheat or say " I'm a referee and you are wrong" etc. I've got more respect for myself and the appointed referees than to say and act in that manner.

As a referee, do you think this is acceptable behaviour from a substituted player?

Again, when I play and involved with my Saturday side. I AM NOT a referee. I'm a player. That is it. You are taking my post completely out of context.

Is the correct course of action for me to play football whilst being a referee, in a referee mindset? Looking at, questioning and analysing every decision made by the referee? No chance. That is not how to behave. On Saturdays when I am playing, the fact that I have qualified and referee regularly is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Okay enough. DB has provided some personal experience and it seems a couple of you are keen to jump on him because he is both a player and a referee. This stops now.

Next post which carries this on earns a thread ban. Back to topic please.

Reactions: DB
Apologies of I have said anything out of context here @SM, the whole point of my original post was to show the thread author that the club officials see exactly what they want to see. Regardless of how it is, they will see it how they want to.

I may keep my personal experiences to myself next time lol.

@Boro Wen before I started playing senior football and wayyyy before I completed the ref course, I managed two sides (and played). I was often found questioning referees decisions and making comments like this manager did. Honestly, just take no notice. I was an idiot when I was younger, I used to say stuff to get into the heads of the players and officials, sometimes it worked, other times I found myself with a few yellow fines to pay. The refs that took me for the course used to referee me as a kid and they said I was a nightmare. Thankfully I soon grew up.

Just take no notice of them, in one ear and out the other. Players, club representatives etc, they only see what the want to see. There opinion will be based on that fact

Okay enough. DB has provided some personal experience and it seems a couple of you are keen to jump on him because he is both a player and a referee. This stops now.

Next post which carries this on earns a thread ban. Back to topic please.

The sound of discussion dying.....how sad.

Back