A&H

Junior/Youth Cup Final

Ridders

I was in the middle for a year 8 (u13) school cup final. The match itself went great just two of the players from the losing team mentioned my glasses, one said you need to back to spec saver and the other specky 4 eyed c**t. I gave them both red cards. Was I right to do so?

The Referee Store
The second comment is definitely a nailed on red.

Some may argue that the first comment would be a yellow, and I'll admit that's what I'd likely have given. However, that being said if you found the remark to be either offensive or insulting than a red was the right choice.

The second comment is definitely a nailed on red.

Some may argue that the first comment would be a yellow, and I'll admit that's what I'd likely have given. However, that being said if you found the remark to be either offensive or insulting than a red was the right choice.
I found both very offensive and insulting as me and my two assistants did a great job throughout the game. Thanks for the feedback.

wow, that second comment is disgusting. There's no question whatsoever over whether that one is a red card. I'd be very concerned if any referee disagreed there.
I'm with zara on the first one - I'd be more likely to consider the first to be dissent. To me, it's just saying that you're making wrong decisions. I have no issue with you being very firm with players bringing your glasses into the comments - I'd encourage it!
Unfortunately wearing glasses on the field will invite comments, from the spectators if not the players. I wear glasses myself on the field (haven't found contacts that fit me), and it's rare to have a player comment on it. Spectators though? different kettle of fish. Have you tried contacts? Not wearing glasses on the field can just help to reduce on particular angle of dissent/abuse (of course they'll find something else to criticise, but it may be a little less personal if that's the case).
That, and glasses are really annoying when they fog up - or if it starts to rain then you can't see a thing (as a result if it even looked like the sky was giving the slightest consideration to rain, I'd wear a hat just to block rain from the glasses...so yes, running around wearing a hat on an overcast day....)

wow, that second comment is disgusting. There's no question whatsoever over whether that one is a red card. I'd be very concerned if any referee disagreed there.
I'm with zara on the first one - I'd be more likely to consider the first to be dissent. To me, it's just saying that you're making wrong decisions. I have no issue with you being very firm with players bringing your glasses into the comments - I'd encourage it!
Unfortunately wearing glasses on the field will invite comments, from the spectators if not the players. I wear glasses myself on the field (haven't found contacts that fit me), and it's rare to have a player comment on it. Spectators though? different kettle of fish. Have you tried contacts? Not wearing glasses on the field can just help to reduce on particular angle of dissent/abuse (of course they'll find something else to criticise, but it may be a little less personal if that's the case).
That, and glasses are really annoying when they fog up - or if it starts to rain then you can't see a thing (as a result if it even looked like the sky was giving the slightest consideration to rain, I'd wear a hat just to block rain from the glasses...so yes, running around wearing a hat on an overcast day....)
Thanks I have tried contacts and don't really like them, I had two assistants so it wasn't me who was making the judgements and I'm not for one second saying that they were incorrect at all, i have worked with one of my assistants before so I trust him and my other assistant is very good at what he does.So I trust them both and i know they both can deliver when I need them too. The incident happend just after the final whistle. But in my mind it was very clear what i wanted to do. I asked the opinions of my assistants and they both agreed so i went for it.

As you have glasses and it's direct and offensive I can see how the first one was a red and if you found it offensive you got to it absolutely spot on ;)

You can do either, I would agree with the above consensus about the specsavers comment. It's more flippant, and not meant to be truly offensive perhaps.

Were they said at same time btw?

You can do either, I would agree with the above consensus about the specsavers comment. It's more flippant, and not meant to be truly offensive perhaps.

Were they said at same time btw?
They were both said around the same time maybe a minute apart

Second one is a nailed on red. First one is very difficult to give as a red as it is really just a flippant comment rather than any kind of abusive comment.

First one is ridiculously harsh.......2nd one is spot on.

Ask yourself....would you dismiss for "are you blind ref?".......which is the effectively the same as the first comment.......?

Second one is a nailed on red. First one is very difficult to give as a red as it is really just a flippant comment rather than any kind of abusive comment.
I felt that I had to take that action because of the way the player said and then continued to mouth off. Thanks anyway.

Unfortunately wearing glasses on the field will invite comments, from the spectators if not the players.

Not technically true, they'll comment whether you wear glasses or not. I dismissed a player earlier this season for calling me a "f****** google eyed c***". I do not wear glasses on the field and have never done so! :rolleyes:

In terms of the OP, I can only echo what has already been said. Second comment was a nailed on red but I'd have been going with a yellow for dissent for the Specsavers comment.

I think you are fine with the reds. I would have also gone with yellow for the first.

You should switch to contact as soon as possible. For safety, vision and because, unfortunately, in this game, wearing glasses does not aid match control.

I think you are fine with the reds. I would have also gone with yellow for the first.

You should switch to contact as soon as possible. For safety, vision and because, unfortunately, in this game, wearing glasses does not aid match control.
Thanks

There nothing wrong with him wearing glasses I know one person in my county who wears them for a match as he cannot see without them and I don't think he likes contacts so nothing wrong with him wearing them and ridders if you felt it was offensive or insulting then you had the right to send off

Thanks I have tried contacts and don't really like them, I had two assistants so it wasn't me who was making the judgements and I'm not for one second saying that they were incorrect at all, i have worked with one of my assistants before so I trust him and my other assistant is very good at what he does.So I trust them both and i know they both can deliver when I need them too. The incident happend just after the final whistle. But in my mind it was very clear what i wanted to do. I asked the opinions of my assistants and they both agreed so i went for it.

What do you mean it was the AR making the judgements?

Wearing glasses to referee can be an issue sadly. Being short sighted myself I find contact lenses the only way to go as from a practical view point glasses are a nightmare jiggling around all over the place and misting up, pretty much as the Capn stated. Depends on whether you can get used to contacts though, the soft daily disposables are great for football if you can tolerate them. And of course if you are going to referee in glasses you have to get sports glasses the same as players would have to if they wish to play in glasses :) This is beside the point though.

I agree the second comment is disgraceful and a nailed on red, but the first comment is something to think about. As referees we will sometimes have a "sensitive" topic which will make us react. Glasses and being short sighted are an easy target and it attracting comments is going to happen from time to time if you keep refereeing in glasses (especially if you move into OA footie in a couple of years). If they weren't making comment about your glasses, it would be about something else. Thats just how football works - some of it is banter, some of it is just the players mouthing off, some of it needs acting on, some of it doesn't. Learning to diffuse player comments with humour may help (if that is in your toolkit), but also perhaps identifying what is genuinely offensive and what is just childish comments or dissent. Is the first red a bit harsh? Possibly, but we weren't there, you were. Within the context of events that happened at the end of your game, if you still feel after some reflection that it was a deserved red, then fine.

Back