A&H

Junior/Youth Cup Final

I disagree about the sports glasses. No reason for the referee to bother with those - but you do need something that stays in place.

The Referee Store
We had guidance through on it which may be different in other areas of course, but referees do risk a ball in the face at times and so here would need sports glasses.

When in rome, of course. While there's the risk of a ball to the face, that risk is minimal - and much less than the risk that players have of physical contact in the face.
I doubt a ball to the face would cause damage to much other than the glasses themselves.

crikey... this was U13's !
echoing the majority with the second decision, but i also agree with the first dismissal, as the very fact that @Ridders wears glasses makes that a personal comment. then its up to him how he feels about it ... if he feels offended by it then by definition its OFFINABUS.

if he feels offended by it then by definition its OFFINABUS.
Know we've had this discussion before, but I remain unconvinced that this is the most helpful way to view OFFINABUS. Different referees will have a wide variety of tolerance levels and personal foibles .. pretty difficult for players if the same choice of words leads to a red card in one instance and no action in another. Most helpful example for me is a devout Christian referee who would automatically dismiss someone for taking the Lord's name in vain .. no question he's been offended but entirely unreasonable to surprise a player with a red card for this.

Overall though, agree with the consensus on the original post. Clear red for the second comment, probably yellow for the first - but the personal nature of it leaves the door ajar for red in this case as well

I wear glasses day to day but don't ref in them and would never arrive for a game in them, I just think back to when I played and what my reaction would be. I know its not in reality, but to players it may show a sign of weakness. @SM is quite right though they will always pick up on something. Being follicly challenged and sporting a beard I often hear from the side-lines comments like, "Upside down head", "Baldy", "Tim Howard" and one from behind me when running the line last week, which literally made me laugh out loud "Pebble Head". I was deeply offended!!!!

I think it's largely a confidence thing. I'm diabetic (so can't wear contacts) and I'd say I get some kind of comment from players or spectators every two or three games. I have a few stock phrases to use for replying, depending on the nature of the comment. So it ranges from "you ought to see me refereeing without them!" to "How original, I've never heard that before!". If they're talking about my integrity, or my ability, and it's used in that way (eg. how could you not see that?! You need to take them glasses off!) then I might have a word with a player or, of course, caution for dissent if I think it's over the top.

All in all, as has been said, it isn't the glasses themselves that cause the issue - if it wasn't that then players would say something else instead. Personally I can't see myself sending someone off for such a comment as the first one, but definitely the second.

I think it's largely a confidence thing. I'm diabetic (so can't wear contacts) and I'd say I get some kind of comment from players or spectators every two or three games. I have a few stock phrases to use for replying, depending on the nature of the comment. So it ranges from "you ought to see me refereeing without them!" to "How original, I've never heard that before!". If they're talking about my integrity, or my ability, and it's used in that way (eg. how could you not see that?! You need to take them glasses off!) then I might have a word with a player or, of course, caution for dissent if I think it's over the top.

All in all, as has been said, it isn't the glasses themselves that cause the issue - if it wasn't that then players would say something else instead. Personally I can't see myself sending someone off for such a comment as the first one, but definitely the second.
Thanks its been a learning curb for me and would possibly take different action next time.

crikey... this was U13's !
echoing the majority with the second decision, but i also agree with the first dismissal, as the very fact that @Ridders wears glasses makes that a personal comment. then its up to him how he feels about it ... if he feels offended by it then by definition its OFFINABUS.
Thanks

Thanks its been a learning curb for me and would possibly take different action next time.
You're more than welcome! There have been numerous discussions here about what constitutes OFFINABUS and, strictly speaking, you aren't wrong to consider that the comments met the criteria. As you progress up the levels, and get more experience, your criteria will change and that is fine too.

The most relevant comment I've seen was made on another thread recently. Players abuse the badge, not the person. In other words, you will get abuse because, unfortunately, it's part of the culture of the game to disrespect the referee. If you can see it more objectively, that it's the strip and the badge that you wear that provokes the response, rather than who you are, these things will get easier to manage, I promise!

I gave a penalty a few weeks ago, and a player said 'You need to go to Specsavers ref, you're obviously blind', so I cautioned him for dissent.

By coincidence though I have since been, and he was factually correct on both counts.

Oops.

I hope you later phoned the club secretary and offered to pay the £10 administration charge... This guy has helped you here :rolleyes::D

I hope you later phoned the club secretary and offered to pay the £10 administration charge... This guy has helped you here :rolleyes::D

You're joking aren't you?

This observation cost me £190, I should be asking him for a contribution!

Last edited:
Back