A&H

Die Mannschaft v Svenska

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two realistic possibilities.

1) AR1 told the CR that this needed to be a yellow.

or

2) The VAR broke protocol and suggested a 2nd yellow when it's not allowed. And Marciniak accepted the advice even though he knows it's not allowed. And the FIFA representative in the VAR room, four other on field match officials, three other match officials in the VAR room are going to cover for a clear violation of the protocols. And FIFA will cover it up

Call me crazy but I'm betting on option #1.
I think you're dressing option 2 up a bit

As Santa and I have asked, what is the nature of your VAR allegiance? Not since Baghdad Bob have i encountered such unwavering belief

The Referee Store
I have this crazy allegiance to the idea that referees be given the tools to get as many big decisions correct as possible. I know. It's a crazy allegiance.

And there in lies my problem. The VAR here has failed to tell the referee he had made a clear and obvious error in not giving Sweden a penalty (and arguably a red card to Germany). Yet the VAR in the France vs Australia game did get involved when it was a much, much less obvious error (and many think not an error at all).

I'm vaguely behind VAR and I think it is needed, but it isn't working at the moment and is causing inconsistency. Omne of two things happened today …

- VAR reviewed the challenge and ruled there was no foul, and if that is the case the VAR should be sacked immediately
- VAR informed the referee there may have been a foul but he chose not to accept the advice

Whichever of those it was, neither sit comfortably with me.

Reactions: one
And there in lies my problem. The VAR here has failed to tell the referee he had made a clear and obvious error in not giving Sweden a penalty (and arguably a red card to Germany). Yet the VAR in the France vs Australia game did get involved when it was a much, much less obvious error (and many think not an error at all).

I'm vaguely behind VAR and I think it is needed, but it isn't working at the moment and is causing inconsistency. Omne of two things happened today …

- VAR reviewed the challenge and ruled there was no foul, and if that is the case the VAR should be sacked immediately
- VAR informed the referee there may have been a foul but he chose not to accept the advice

I'm sort of with you. There is a need for VAR, but this isn't adding value. I don't know what the answer is, but this isn't it
Go ask the Sweden team

They pulled the Iceland v Nigeria game back for about as much contact as Boetang’s tonight so it’s baffling why they can’t be consistent.

I guess the only thing we need to remember for us active referee’s is that it’s not going to affect us next season & that we’ll be discussing professional games that play by a different set of rules to us at grass roots.

When VAR has got involved, it's usually got it right (France v Aus being the one possible occasion where that's not the case). The problem seems to be that often the VAR doesn't get involved where it perhaps should. I've said for a while that I think a challenge system would work better, and I think this world Cup is proving that right. It shouldn't be the ref's decision, or the VAR's, because then those parties can't be blamed if it's not used when it should have been.

Challenge system today, time out tomorrow, eventually we’ll be playing football in four quaters.

It was pretty obvious to me what would happen when we went down this slippery path, it opens up cans upon cans of worms uncertainty & confusion.

I’ll be glad when this World Cup is over & hopefully get back to some normality, I hope the powers that be in England have taken note of this shambles of inconsistency so far & what it’s done to the general standard of refereeing.

I know the tin pot cup will have VAR in premier league grounds next season I just hope it’s a long while b4 the premier league & below start using it for good.

Or option 3, the most likely in my book
- VAR decided (incorrectly) that it wasn't a clear and obvious error
The clear and obvious requirement can and will never be consistent, it is a matter of opinion!

I think VAR has shown it's worth, it has corrected some KMI blunders that would have ruined a referee's tournament. I think to dismiss it already would be naive. Howard Webb seems to have it working quite well in MLS, their VARs have been in training for 2 years.

Oh god. The day we have a challenge system is probably the day I'll hang up the whistle *and* find a different sport to enjoy.

Or option 3, the most likely in my book
- VAR decided (incorrectly) that it wasn't a clear and obvious error
I'm not sure about the way VAR is being assessed at the World Cup, but I do know that in PRO (in the MLS) assesses the VAR on 2-3 things:
  • Did the VAR identify an offence
  • Was that something deemed NOT a clear and obvious error, thus not to send down
  • Was that something deemed PROPERLY a clear and obvious error and sent down
Obviously, plus points if correctly identified, minus if not.

And since VAR deals almost exclusively with KMI-type incidents... :)

The most plausible explanation for me is that just like many here VAR didn't see the trip and only saw the slight pull/push which wasn't clear and obvious. By the time the VAR team figured there was an obvious trip there, it would have been too late to bring it back.
The other error from the team would have been for an incident this significant the referee should have delayed restart or 'pause play' at a neutral time to give VAR sufficient time to check.

On a different note, I wonder how FIFA are going to justify their 99.8% VAR accuracy for the WC. This incident plus the two wrestling tackle pen incidents not given and a couple of doubtful non obvious VAR reviews should be enough to prove we have a long way to go to get it right.

Last edited:

Not good was it Rusty.
Might as well get rid of VAR and adopt 'who wants to be a millionaire' style options for the match referee......
Ask a friend, fifty fifty, ask the audience........

The most plausible explanation for me is that just like many here VAR didn't see the trip and only saw the slight pull/push which wasn't clear and obvious. By the time the VAR team figured there was an obvious trip there, it would have been too late to bring it back.
The other error from the team would have been for an incident this significant the referee should have delayed restart or 'pause play' at a neutral time to give VAR sufficient time to check.

On a different note, I wonder how FIFA are going to justify their 99.8% VAR accuracy for the WC. This incident plus the two wrestling tackle pen incidents not given and a couple of doubtful non obvious VAR reviews should be enough to prove we have a long way to go to get it right.
Not buying that 4 referees didn't see a trip that I (and everyone else on here) could pick up on second viewing...

I'm stunned that FIFA complicated the introduction of VAR, by mandating that referees simultaneously completely relax their caution threshold. The latter is enough to knock any referee out of kilter, so this has to be indicative of how moronic the Law makers are
Regarding VAR, I'm concerned that it's evolved too quickly without proper consideration. Although VAR has gotten a few referees out the mire, the process often intensifies controversy and there's something very American about the circus in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back