A&H

Junior/Youth First game of the season

Ridders

The game started pretty well, with both teams playing good footy. About 25 mins in one team started to take a large advantage on the other and two players had a bit of an argument, both shouted verbal comments at each other and both were told to calm down, the defedning player carried on the agument about 2 mins later, i took him to one side and told him to keep it shut. He didn't so about 5 mins into second half he made another challenge so i again took him to one side and told him that any more and he would be in the book. Seemed to work but was I to lenient? Should have i booked him the last time i spoke to him?

The Referee Store
The game started pretty well, with both teams playing good footy. About 25 mins in one team started to take a large advantage on the other and two players had a bit of an argument, both shouted verbal comments at each other and both were told to calm down, the defedning player carried on the agument about 2 mins later, i took him to one side and told him to keep it shut. He didn't so about 5 mins into second half he made another challenge so i again took him to one side and told him that any more and he would be in the book. Seemed to work but was I to lenient? Should have i booked him the last time i spoke to him?
From your description I would have put him in the book, but if it worked, I wouldn't worry too much.

My general threshold is that if I've felt the need to slow the game down to talk to someone, they're pretty much on their last warning. Did you get the captain involved at any point? That tends to be the generally accepted method for a final warning.

From your description I would have put him in the book, but if it worked, I wouldn't worry too much.

My general threshold is that if I've felt the need to slow the game down to talk to someone, they're pretty much on their last warning. Did you get the captain involved at any point? That tends to be the generally accepted method for a final warning.
This player was the captain

Maybe a bit too lenient but he stopped so doesn't matter. I normally go for 2 warnings with dissent (depending on the amount and what the player is saying). Stop arguing please... Get the captain over - calm the player down and say that he is on final warning. Yellow card. If he is already on a yellow then one warning and then dismiss. U13 is a difficult age to know when to use cards in my opinion. At that age you have also got the possibility of using the coach. Sounds like you did well though

Cutting grass just tells everyone that your not tolerating no more of it and if you do another then you will caution

Cutting grass just tells everyone that your not tolerating no more of it and if you do another then you will caution

I know what it means i am just not sure of the relevance of the point. Also if you are doing that then you are almost backing yourself into a corner so that the next foul (which may well be careless) will be greeted with 11 opposing players shouting for a caution.

It is wise to choose your words carefully in this kind of situation.

Then ok foul challenges if I want to use a stepped approach I still can go 1-2 then the 3rd anymore and cut the grass it enforces it

Then ok foul challenges if I want to use a stepped approach I still can go 1-2 then the 3rd anymore and cut the grass it enforces it

Craig i know what you are saying, i just dont think you understand my point. By cutting the grass and saying no more you are telling everyone around you that the next one is going in the book, yes?

So a little later the same player commits a careless foul and everyone now expects a card and you have sort of backed yourself into a corner. The opposing team will immediately hit you with, "You have warned him ref so that has to be a card". Where do you go from there?

The point i was making is, choose your words carefully and try and avoid cutting the grass and then you have a get out should you need it.

This is a difficult one - I think I sometimes want to separate warnings for dissent from warnings for nearly-fouls. I am reading ref craig here and thinking that it is better not to separate them. If a player needs a warning that a card is next, they should get the cut grass, and get a card next for persistent offending, whether it is dissent-related or foul-related...

Can I query the expression "cutting grass"? I've had a few ref's use this expression when giving their pre-match instructions to me as an AR and from context, I've inferred it means the gesture where you lean forwards, both arms are crossed in front of you, and moved quickly to out wide, which is usually used to indicate "no foul".

But this isn't a gesture I would use when play has stopped and I'm dealing with borderline dissent - so I'm confused by the context Craig and Cheshire are using it in, which suggests there is much more meaning to it and that players should know it means you're on the verge of getting cards out? I feel like I'm missing out a little to be honest! What's this magical gesture I should learn that everyone else understands and I don't?

Cut grass means two terms one for penalties and one for telling players you want no more of that penalties when you cut grass as a referee your telling the players no and if you have neutral assistants not to get involved with the flag once you've cut it and when your talking to a player and you cut it your telling them no more that please or next one your in the book

Cut grass means two terms one for penalties and one for telling players you want no more of that penalties when you cut grass as a referee your telling the players no and if you have neutral assistants not to get involved with the flag once you've cut it and when your talking to a player and you cut it your telling them no more that please or next one your in the book
The first form I'm totally with you on. The second - I wouldn't rely on just a hand gesture to be universally understood as a "final warning" and then act as if I've warned them when the cards do come out. For me, a warning has to be clear and verbal. Although that doesn't stop me carding without warning where appropriate, I'm not taking the risk of saying "I did warn you!" and the player replying "when?".

Back