A&H

Junior/Youth First game of the season

Yea I would when I'm bringing in a player to give them that final warning a word with like a say final warning cut grass at same time so he knows and players on the park know

The Referee Store
I don't get the obsession with the "cutting the grass" signal. Only time I'd contemplate using it would be if there's a language barrier and even then I probably still wouldn't.

Nothing wrong with actually talking to players

I don't get the obsession with the "cutting the grass" signal. Only time I'd contemplate using it would be if there's a language barrier and even then I probably still wouldn't.

Nothing wrong with actually talking to players

Cutting the grass is a tick in the box for communication (or match control) mainly. Personally, I like it. As a level 4, it tells my NAR that I do not think it's a foul, and certainly do not want them coming in with a flag for a foul. Mainly though, one would use it on the persistence front. It informs EVERYONE (players, spectators, management, observe etc..) 'NO MORE'. One can also enforce it by using the captain. You have then set yourself up perfectly to sell a caution for the next offence.

A pet hate of mine though, is the referee using the cutting the grass action, but not following up on it. Once you've told the player no more, that's it. You cannot let them off for the next offence, even if careless. If you do, you open yourself up to avoidable dissent / prevent any further use of the stepped approach.

It is each to their own of course i understand that but personally i dont cut the grass on any decision. On a penalty/foul you are completely cutting out your assistant, if he/she has seen something on your blind side and you are doing a big theatrical cutting the grass motion there is a good chance that they are going to keep the flag down.

In terms of persistent and or dissent, i agree with @Ross i can easily talk to the player and make them aware in no uncertain terms what i think and expect. Going back to my original point of backing yourself into a corner, a public display of "no more" and cutting the grass is leaving you nowhere to go, where as a quiet word of, "fella thats 2 fouls in fairly quick succession, do me a favour calm it down and think about that next challenge"

Back