A&H

First game

Quick one.. base layers with shortsleeves. Is that okay or a no no. Only got one short sleeve top, don’t know whether to put one on or just brave it.
It's imperative that you show no signs of weakness by wearing short sleeves only in all weathers, even when arriving to and leaving the ground 👊

The Referee Store
It's imperative that you show no signs of weakness by wearing short sleeves only in all weathers, even when arriving to and leaving the ground 👊
Yep short sleeves all year round for me on the FOP. Wear a short sleeved base layer summer or winter. In the hot it helps wick the sweat away, in the cold it gives me a bit more warmth, it helps to keep my buzzer base unit in place on my arm and also avoids unwelcome nipple chafing that I sometimes get from having my shirt against my bare skin.

Well this went on in my game last weekend....

Quality. Mind you, if I was manager, I'd have found a reason to blame you instead of that lumbering (or slumbering) keeper

I've been trying to get highlights from my game tother night. Not sure I had my 'A game' with me
That said, wasn't helped by my dishevelled AR failing to get the flag up for a ball that had crossed the goal line (yes, between the sticks)
If I ever get buzzer flags, I'm gonna reverse engineer them to send an electric shock to stimulate an erect flag on demand! Yes, flag
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), the Home Team's Veo account has expired

Last edited:
100% yes

its a game of football, not the Mian cat walk

for info, I did a national senior womens game last weekend in full trackie, absolutely no way shorts and t shirt was sensible, we are talking about health and welfare here, not regimental army
no game is worth hypothermia

Agreed. I was at Pennistone a few years ago on the line. I have some metal in a couple of my fingers and it's not much fun in the freezing cold. As I was putting my gloves on (and it really does have to be cold for me to not just grin and bear It) he told me that he didn't want me wearing them. I told him politely that I was going to wear them and when he questioned it again I told him less politely that I'll dress myself and thats the end of it.

Absolutely baffling that some refs think they can dictate what others should wear.

Agreed. I was at Pennistone a few years ago on the line. I have some metal in a couple of my fingers and it's not much fun in the freezing cold. As I was putting my gloves on (and it really does have to be cold for me to not just grin and bear It) he told me that he didn't want me wearing them. I told him politely that I was going to wear them and when he questioned it again I told him less politely that I'll dress myself and thats the end of it.

Absolutely baffling that some refs think they can dictate what others should wear.

Million per cent.

Done it myself, a reserve line that i picked up as a call off on the day, i turned blue in the first half
fired on my trackie bottoms at ht, ref. " you not going out in them"
me " i am indeed or am staying in here"

nobody is saying panto outfits or Rio Carnival

but if its sensible, and, beneficial, and, indeed, its best practise for you, thats that

Quality. Mind you, if I was manager, I'd have found a reason to blame you instead of that lumbering (or slumbering) keeper

I've been trying to get highlights from my game tother night. Not sure I had my 'A game' with me
That said, wasn't helped by my dishevelled AR failing to get the flag up for a ball that had crossed the goal line (yes, between the sticks)
If I ever get buzzer flags, I'm gonna reverse engineer them to send an electric shock to stimulate an erect flag on demand! Yes, flag
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), the Home Team's Veo account has expired
Sadly I didn't have the same luck at the weekend. But thankfully didn't affect the outcome save for the old butterfly effect.

Since I moved to the south west its short sleeve all year round (unless its raining) . This however is just not feasible in 2 degree feels like minus 10 up north!

Would never dream of telling folks what they can and cannot wear (within reason). Absolutely hate it when someone asks short or long sleeve. My stock answer is "it's not a fashion parade".

Absolutely hate it when someone asks short or long sleeve. My stock answer is "it's not a fashion parade".
for a long time I the US it was expected that referees sleeve length matched, and was argued for by those who supported it that it looked more professional. Never mind that no one expected it from the players who, gasp, wore what was comfort for them. that is no longer taught—and anyone who watches professional leagues see that the pros don’t care about it--but there are still too many here who do care. When Ike ambivalent about what to wear, I’ll match to humor people, but gee whiz—do they really think players and coaches even notice?

Sadly I didn't have the same luck at the weekend. But thankfully didn't affect the outcome save for the old butterfly effect.

Since I moved to the south west its short sleeve all year round (unless its raining) . This however is just not feasible in 2 degree feels like minus 10 up north!

Would never dream of telling folks what they can and cannot wear (within reason). Absolutely hate it when someone asks short or long sleeve. My stock answer is "it's not a fashion parade".

to think an AR sees it fit to ask the ref what length if sleeve to wear

yet as referee we rely on the same AR to tell us what could be the games only kmi.....

As a fellow northerner exiled in the South West I can attest to not wearing a base layer once in my year down here. There's no real wind chill factor down here. It was a balmy 11 degrees in Bristol last night. If it wasn't dark I'd have reached for the sun cream!

Haven’t worn long sleeves for about 13 years, reluctantly wear a jacket as I hate long sleeves with a passion

The wife advised me last week I didn't need to wear a baselayer last Saturday as it was "quite mild" (I'm in Ireland). I took her advice and low and behold, during game 1 (of 3), clouds came over, temps dropped and it rained. I was wet and freeeziiinng. Drove to game 2, and luckily brought my short sleeve thermal top which helped tremendously. However, when I was speaking to the players at the boot check, my mouth wouldn't work as I was still shivering. Apologised and blamed getting cold/wet in previous match. Pitch was very poor - hoof ball so me running like a lunatic throughout. Never fully recovered from cold and by game 3 (U18), I cramped real bad. Struggled but managed through. Sore for 4 days after.
I took delivery of some running tights today that I will wear under shorts/socks once temp continues to drop. I don't care what anyone thinks - #1 is your health, #2 is performance and somewhere way beyond that is what I look like.

I would have no issue wearing a long sleeve baselayer under a short sleeve top. Nor would I as a player have changed my opinion of the ref if I saw one wearing them.

There was one ref from my playing days (let’s call him more experienced than others) who used to wear wooly hat, gloves, jacket and joggers in the winter months. He was one of the best refs in the league.

appreciate the reasons might not be weather related

never ever compromise your health or comfort over substance or protocol

i think todays society accepts personal choice more than years ago, one, a ref is more mellow, and two, an Ar is not as shy

Attachments

• 3671BD99-B0AA-4E0A-AD32-3CB35F25AA25.jpeg
    3671BD99-B0AA-4E0A-AD32-3CB35F25AA25.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 20
I would have no issue wearing a long sleeve baselayer under a short sleeve top. Nor would I as a player have changed my opinion of the ref if I saw one wearing them.

There was one ref from my playing days (let’s call him more experienced than others) who used to wear wooly hat, gloves, jacket and joggers in the winter months. He was one of the best refs in the league.
Long-sleeved baselayers under short-sleeved tops is exactly what most actual footballers do - seems wild to suggest refs shouldn't do the same!

I have real issues with my hands going cold long before the rest of me - as a result, I have occasionally gone out in short sleeves and gloves! Other benefit of that is it's still easy to just remove the gloves mid-game if you find the running is actually making you warmer than you expected.

appreciate the reasons might not be weather related

never ever compromise your health or comfort over substance or protocol

i think todays society accepts personal choice more than years ago, one, a ref is more mellow, and two, an Ar is not as shy

I'm not having that. It is one thing a referee on Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning wearing black sleeves under a yellow shirt, but FIFA officials? I don't think so.

Back