A&H

First game

I'm not having that. It is one thing a referee on Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning wearing black sleeves under a yellow shirt, but FIFA officials? I don't think so.
One of the problems for FIFA officials, as I understand it, is that they really don't control their kit. If the knuckleheads providing the kit only gave them short sleeves, which I would surmise, I have no problem with the awful look if it is cold enough to need it. (And I say that as someone who hates the look of the mismatched sleeves and avoid it myself as much as possible.)

The Referee Store
One of the problems for FIFA officials, as I understand it, is that they really don't control their kit. If the knuckleheads providing the kit only gave them short sleeves, which I would surmise, I have no problem with the awful look if it is cold enough to need it. (And I say that as someone who hates the look of the mismatched sleeves and avoid it myself as much as possible.)

Hmm, I'll buy that if it is sub-zero. I would guess they were going to wear black but didn't realise one of the teams were in black so had to change to yellow, but it still isn't a great look. If there are a team of 4 FIFA officials on the game you would have to assume it is going to be a level of football that will keep them very active.

I did a game at Wembley Stadium in late November a few years ago and it was freezing. I'd brought my black under armour, only to find pink referee shirts (and socks :() hanging up for us in the changing room. I thought it was a corporate game where I'd be doing hardly any running, but still went out without the under armour. As it was it turned out to be Spurs U21 vs Pro Direct Soccer and was the most I've ever run on the line, but the principle stands.

I'm not having that. It is one thing a referee on Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning wearing black sleeves under a yellow shirt, but FIFA officials? I don't think so.

ok lets ask, why?

obv in this case its going to be religious/law of the land

suppose the obv retort is, well the players cant do it...

for what its worth, i also dont think the black under yellow at that level looks gd but, if they must, and they all do it, its not major

Last edited:
ok lets ask, why?

obv in this case its going to be religious/law of the land

suppose the obv retort is, well the players cant do it...

for what its worth, i also dont think the black under yellow at that level looks gd but, if they must, and they all do it, its not major

Because, for the same reason referees can't wear jewellery other than a watch, you can't say to players that they can't wear different coloured under garments but then do exactly the same yourself. It is hypocrisy of the highest order. Yes, they could say they'd be cold without it, but so could a player who you have told they can't wear their black under sleeves under their yellow shirts.

So, first game done!
Fairly one sided, not really anything of note barring a goal that deflected off the crossbar and went over the line.

Referee of the home side said I’d had a great game and thanked me. Said my match control and communication was spot on. And to say they’d been beaten 8-1 I’ll take that as a compliment!

Update… a bit stiff today after not exercising since early January! On reflection, not sure I was on the correct path at all times and maybe got a couple of throw ins wrong. Otherwise happy with it.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice.

thanks

Update… a bit stiff today after not exercising since early January! On reflection, not sure I was on the correct path at all times and maybe got a couple of throw ins wrong. Otherwise happy with it.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice.

thanks
Reality is that in every game we'll always critique ourselves on things that we might have got wrong, but it's getting the big stuff, the KMD's that matter.

There's a great article in The Athletic about refereeing and Michael Oliver makes a great comment:

Oliver: "The first thing I do when I get home is go straight onto the Sky recording and find the game, and you know the big stuff that you want to check. So the throw-in 90 yards from goal, I want to get it right but I’m not particularly bothered if I get it wrong because there are bigger things to worry about. But there was a penalty appeal on Saturday in my game, so when I got back I checked that straight away."

This sums up how you should think about things, you are probably the only one who remembers that throw in, unless it's led directly to a goal.

Reality is that in every game we'll always critique ourselves on things that we might have got wrong, but it's getting the big stuff, the KMD's that matter.

There's a great article in The Athletic about refereeing and Michael Oliver makes a great comment:

Oliver: "The first thing I do when I get home is go straight onto the Sky recording and find the game, and you know the big stuff that you want to check. So the throw-in 90 yards from goal, I want to get it right but I’m not particularly bothered if I get it wrong because there are bigger things to worry about. But there was a penalty appeal on Saturday in my game, so when I got back I checked that straight away."

This sums up how you should think about things, you are probably the only one who remembers that throw in, unless it's led directly to a goal.
That’s great advice! Will certainly remember that

So, first game done!
Fairly one sided, not really anything of note barring a goal that deflected off the crossbar and went over the line.

Referee of the home side said I’d had a great game and thanked me. Said my match control and communication was spot on. And to say they’d been beaten 8-1 I’ll take that as a compliment!
i Have just got my first match as a referee come though I have been given 3 games all at the same ground a under 9 then a under 14 then another under 9 game is that normal to be given 3 games

i Have just got my first match as a referee come though I have been given 3 games all at the same ground a under 9 then a under 14 then another under 9 game is that normal to be given 3 games
My experience of youth football is this is not unusual. I'll often do 1 x 7v7 followed by an 11v11 (u14) a bit of a break and a 9v9 early afternoon.

Where I am the leagues have a couple of different ways of allocation. One of them you indicate how many matches you'd be available to do on the day (e.g 1AM, 2AM, 1PM, Both, Multiple AM/PM etc etc), and another league you're assumed available unless you indicate as not.

Worth getting to know how your league does it to avoid any awkward allocations.

My experience of youth football is this is not unusual. I'll often do 1 x 7v7 followed by an 11v11 (u14) a bit of a break and a 9v9 early afternoon.

Where I am the leagues have a couple of different ways of allocation. One of them you indicate how many matches you'd be available to do on the day (e.g 1AM, 2AM, 1PM, Both, Multiple AM/PM etc etc), and another league you're assumed available unless you indicate as not.

Worth getting to know how your league does it to avoid any awkward allocations.
Great thank you now I have been thinking about it it probably won’t be as bad as I first thought as at least I get 3 of my 5 games done in one day

Great thank you now I have been thinking about it it probably won’t be as bad as I first thought as at least I get 3 of my 5 games done in one day

All down to personal fitness really. The first time I did the 3 in a day I definitely wasn't as mentally sharp in the last match! Now I wouldn't think twice about doing it.

All down to personal fitness really. The first time I did the 3 in a day I definitely wasn't as mentally sharp in the last match! Now I wouldn't think twice about doing it.
I’m definitely out having a run this week hopefully the last game the under 9s won’t be to bad

Well I did think that as well there all at the same venue and it’s a ten minute drive from my house so not to far to travel either

Well there you go. A few games to get your eye in (you'll probably already be learning from your mistakes and rectifying them by game 3 which will be great progress) and you'll be quids in to do with as you please to reward yourself for the privilege. Bit of fitness too. Smile, enjoy and if you mess up don't try and hide it, just tell everyone you've just started and you're learning like the kids are too and everyone will be sound. Enjoy

Well there you go. A few games to get your eye in (you'll probably already be learning from your mistakes and rectifying them by game 3 which will be great progress) and you'll be quids in to do with as you please to reward yourself for the privilege. Bit of fitness too. Smile, enjoy and if you mess up don't try and hide it, just tell everyone you've just started and you're learning like the kids are too and everyone will be sound. Enjoy
Cheers mate

You need to check with your County FA about the 5 games to complete your qualification - the FA rule is that these should be 9 v 9 or 11 v 11.
Good luck in your early matches.

Back