A&H

Junior/Youth Friendly club Lino

@Padfoot in my assisting career I have come to believe that if a referee has got something wrong in law to tell him that yes he has got something wrong in law would you after a game if you got something wrong in law and your refereeing would you like to be told in the changing rooms or would not like to be told I would like my assistants to be open about it and I am guessing you would to

You are getting confused. Something incorrect in law doesn't involve a matter of opinion decision, it involves a factual situation. So for example, the referee cautions the same player twice but doesn't send the player off is incorrect in law. Messing up a penalty kick as Keith Stroud did recently is incorrect in law. Starting play when one team has 12 players on the field of play is incorrect in law. And so on.

Over-ruling an assistant on offside isn't incorrect in law, it is a decision in the opinion of the referee. As a neutral assistant if the referee waves you down you put the flag down and get on with it, even more so as a CAR as at the end of the day you are there as a member of one of the participating teams, not as part of the officiating team.

I had it happen to me, I was CAR for my team and I was a L3 referee at the time. I hadn't told the referee that, but he probably knew given that I had appointed him to the game and we had also worked together on games previously. He waved me down on an offside, I might have been a little miffed as I knew I was right, but you have to accept that the referee is charge. For that matter I got waved down for an offside in a Conference South game, again I knew I was right but you just have to get on with it. After the game the assessor confirmed that the offside decision was correct, but also that I did the right thing in dropping the flag and getting back into position once overruled. The referee lost marks as the decision was incorrect, and as the assessor said, "you've hung your assistant out to dry".

The Referee Store
Agree with everyone above.

The referee in the middle has the final say. Every time. If he decides it's not offside, it doesn't matter why....... play on. If he's sending the wrong player off due to mistaken identity...... and you inform him, and he decides he's right and your wrong even though you may have seen it better...... the original that he's sent off goes. If you flag for an offside and the ref shouts 'you can't be offside from a free kick after the 70th minute in a game that's played on a Tuesday when it's raining' and waves you down........ you drop the flag and get on with it. As soon as he's over-ruled you, you crack on, the decision is then on him.

Assist, not insist.

And talking of losing club marks for application of law? Your main gripe seems to be with an advantage...... in HIS opinion there was an advantage and another phase of play was then entered. That process of working/thinking is correct in law and if that's what he saw....... he hasn't made an error in law. Disagreeing with his 'opinion or view' is something totally different to application of law.

Back