A&H

Junior/Youth Goalkeeper dancing with the ball at his feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
Did a game on Sunday and the red team are winning 11-0.

The red team keeper has the ball at his feet. A blue player is approaching him and he (red keeper) starts feinting his feet over the ball and doing something resembling a jig (an old fashioned dance). When the blue player gets within 3 yards he picks the ball up and then laughs and says "no chance mate" to the blue player.

I stopped the game, awarded a IDFK and cautioned the keeper. I think i am right in law. For me definite USB.

Opinions please.

The Referee Store
he's clearly taking the piss, but is it really USB and worthy of a yellow card? is it any worse than other showboating acts when you're winning comfortably, (juggling the ball)?

i'd suggest having a word as it's not the best thing to do and he'd likely get steamrollered if he did it a 2nd time

Yeah, I think that's a touch harsh. Maybe warn him and book him if he carries on, but I wouldn't go straight for yellow.

I agree with the chaps above, USB and a booking does seem harsh.

Further to that though, the IDFK inside the box for it could cause some larger issues, especially if the other team end up scoring from it.

Having said that, it's worth pointing out that I don't think you were at all wrong in law to show a card for that.

Where's the common sense? A £10 administration charge for taking the p**s?!? Tell him to hurry up if it bothers you. Next time the ball goes out, have a word with the lad. If a ball is kicked away, depending on the manner and attitude of the player (first offence?), instead of cautioning him, I'll make him feel like a tool by saying "Right, you go and get that or you're in the book"... Use common sense in situations like this.

Last edited:
I think common sense is treating all players the same and with courtesy. I also expect that of youth players towards each other. Nobody wants to get thrashed so why would you even need to do this? As others have said he did it to cause offence.

After the game the blue manager agreed with my action and he described it as the keeper "taunting his player". He saw it as a more serious matter than i did. No comment from the red manager.

They did not score from the IDFK restart but that's the way it goes.

Did a game on Sunday and the red team are winning 11-0.

The red team keeper has the ball at his feet. A blue player is approaching him and he (red keeper) starts feinting his feet over the ball and doing something resembling a jig (an old fashioned dance). When the blue player gets within 3 yards he picks the ball up and then laughs and says "no chance mate" to the blue player.

I stopped the game, awarded a IDFK and cautioned the keeper. I think i am right in law. For me definite USB.

Opinions please.

Sorry but this is just wrong. Keeper was not committing any offence and before the attacker got anywhere near the ball, picked it up and passed an innocuous comment.
No reason to stop play, completely wrong in law.

Reactions: DB
On that basis do you then caution a tricky winger who nutmegs a full back and then goes back for another go? A very dangerous precedent if you ask me, and the keeper has really done little or nothing wrong.

Reactions: DB
Let me ask a question. It's 1-0 in the final minute to the GK's team and he does the same thing, in a legal but effective manner to waste time. What's your decision then @Kent Ref ?

At the risk of getting involved in another thread discussing what unsporting behaviour is - I'll just say IMHO you are probably within your rights in law but I find it harsh and probably would of just given a loud warning.

Though you can now tick an IDFK in the box off your bucket list.

At the risk of getting involved in another thread discussing what unsporting behaviour is - I'll just say IMHO you are probably within your rights in law but I find it harsh and probably would of just given a loud warning.

Though you can now tick an IDFK in the box off your bucket list.

Bit confused here - what has a bucket list got to do with a game of football?

On that basis do you then caution a tricky winger who nutmegs a full back and then goes back for another go? A very dangerous precedent if you ask me, and the keeper has really done little or nothing wrong.
I'd do nothing as he is not doing a stupid dance or making a sarcastic comment.

Sorry but this is just wrong. Keeper was not committing any offence and before the attacker got anywhere near the ball, picked it up and passed an innocuous comment.
No reason to stop play, completely wrong in law.
This is where referees are so different. You think it's ok for a player to do what the keeper did but others would not agree.

For me i asked myself "why did the keeper do that"? Was it necessary?

Not what I said. Same actions, but in a 1-0 situation. He's clearly trying to use the clock, as all GK's do
It's legal to consume time in this manner WITHOUT the USB (dancing and sarcastic comment).

If the same incident happened again and it was 1-0 i would still give the card and the IDFK.

If my incident happened without the dancing or comment i would be doing nothing as nothing would be against the LOTG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back