A&H

Open Age Had enough mid game and walked off

Implied... that's not a contract. So, we are in agreement then that there is no contract?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Errrr the contract is implied thus there is a contract that is implied. There are loads in life, you don't sign a contract when you park your car at a pay and display car park however you and the car park provider enter into an implied contract- you agree to the terms of parking by paying the fee.

Paul, you enter an agreement. You pay a charge for parking a car on someone's property. You agree to adhere to the terms and conditions. Which is you pay the amount in which you intend to stay (or have stayed).

The point I am trying to make here is that I am under no contractual obligation to officiate a game. However, I am in an agreement that I will uphold and enforce the laws of the game in accordance with IFAB's guidelines. It's completely different. The term contract shouldn't be used with us unless we have specifically entered in a contractual agreement, such as the guys at the top of the game.

:smoke:
I knew this emoji would come in handy eventually!!

:D

Edit: Hang on, I thought it was a shotgun in the mouth emoji.... everyday is a school day I guess.

For once, I have really enjoyed a thread going off at a major tangent. @xPositor has provided a great explanation of contract law and having studied this many years ago as part of a qualification, he is correct.

As for referees being self-employed, some county FAs tried to get tutors to agree they were self-employed and to sign contacts to that effect. I'm bet they (County FAs) are glad they didn't as the while Uber gig economy rulings from the courts would have meant that the tutors could claim employed status.

In respect of Health & Safety at the ground the responsibility lies
For once, I have really enjoyed a thread going off at a major tangent. @xPositor has provided a great explanation of contract law and having studied this many years ago as part of a qualification, he is correct.

As for referees being self-employed, some county FAs tried to get tutors to agree they were self-employed and to sign contacts to that effect. I'm bet they (County FAs) are glad they didn't as the while Uber gig economy rulings from the courts would have meant that the tutors could claim employed status.
I could explicitly clarify the health and safety aspects too if your interested @Brian Hamilton .........Brian?, wake up Brian.....

That's all well and good... but I'm asking where these formalities are in writing. If I'm under "contract" when officiating; that contract can be breached. Where are the details laid down? If I was to breach this contract and the CFA/FA wanted to challenge that, they must have a formal document which details the terms of the agreement between themselves and us.

I genuinely want to have a look to see what the terms are. Any ideas?

That's all well and good... but I'm asking where these formalities are in writing. If I'm under "contract" when officiating; that contract can be breached. Where are the details laid down? If I was to breach this contract and the CFA/FA wanted to challenge that, they must have a formal document which details the terms of the agreement between themselves and us.

I genuinely want to have a look to see what the terms are. Any ideas?

When you register you agree to abide by the regulation for the control and registration of referees, so that is effectively a contract whether you have viewed it or not. Same as if you sign up to BT, Virgin, Sky, etc for broadband, you sign up to their conditions whether you have read them or not.

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/...iation/2016-17/016a_referees_regulations.ashx

Implied... that's not a contract. So, we are in agreement then that there is no contract?
If it's implied by the behaviour of the parties then it is a contract. That is explained in the link @Trip gave earlier.

Or to take a definition from another source:
Implied contract is an agreement which is not reduced to writing but is created on the basis of the behavior of the parties involved. Under an implied contract, it is suggested that the parties involved are acting under an agreement. In the medical field, an implied contract exists when a veterinarian examines and treats an animal. It is implied that the veterinarian will do his/her best and that the client will pay the fee charged.

When you register you agree to abide by the regulation for the control and registration of referees, so that is effectively a contract whether you have viewed it or not. Same as if you sign up to BT, Virgin, Sky, etc for broadband, you sign up to their conditions whether you have read them or not.

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/...iation/2016-17/016a_referees_regulations.ashx
That's the answer I was waiting for. An actual document :) Now I can have a read to see what I've agreed to lol

Back